Tunes for the Road

Post here about...well...anything!
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: Tunes for the Road

Post by emmahumpfritter »

Jarf wrote:DLB - you are about the 3rd person I have ever "met" that even admits to knowing any of that stuff (outside of my own circle of friends that is).
Having a musical background, I have a huge respect for bands that create music that is technically challenging with lyrics that also have a message.

You really need to check out '3 of a perfect pair' and 'Discipline', my 2 most favourite Crimson albums of all time, while all their stuff is good, those 2 are truly outstanding.

As for Focus, Yorma's vocal range is outstanding, hocus pocus is great but there is soooo much more in their repertoire, it is truly incredible that more people are not familiar with them. While the albums are getting hard to find, there is lots available on youtube.
I recently bought a mess of Focus CD's at a yard sale (from an Icelander! big in...um...Iceland I guess.)

After listening to them, I have to conclude: mid-level talent that Rush was doing better before quitting high school. They have that one song, sometimes played on classic radio (I forget the name) I've always loved heady, concept prog-rock music (YES, Rush, Dream Theater, etc. etc.) and Focus just doesn't meet the bill in my view.

Anyone want some Focus CD's in perfect condition? Icelanders are obsessive! :)
260K with no end in sight....
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

EHF, there aren't enough death metal convos around here lately. we need to rectify this.

have you ever heard of akercocke? some friends introduced me to them a few years back and i dare say that they are one of my faves now: twisted, evil, strange, satanic, brutal...here are some of my fave tracks by them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzdFTth6 ... ure=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WORXxrSc5lw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT0XhmrD ... ure=relmfu

also got into french canadian super weird death metal band gorguts lately. really dissonant and abstract:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW9X0aYpiRo

the new napalm death album is very good. saw them for the second time last october and they were great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5ewJxBASo

what have you been digging on lately, EHF?
DuB.wEasEl
My tercel:: 83 4wd Sr5

Post by DuB.wEasEl »

That drummer is fiend..non stop dbl bass, i digg it.
83 Tercel SR5
81 Isuzu I-mark, Diesel (42mpg on used motor oil, tranny fluid, fry oil, way oil...)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i think his name is david gray. he also plays in my dying bride and a new band called voices. he's really good at doing the blast beat and 16th note double bass stuff but also mixing it up and doing weird break beats. the whole band is actually really talented. they've had a couple great bassists, which isn't very common in metal IMO.
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

I sometimes listen to Firesign Theatre albums on long road trips..."How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All" is my favorite, but "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers" is a great album too.
Nothing like a laugh or two while you're cruising in the slooow lane.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
DuB.wEasEl
My tercel:: 83 4wd Sr5

Post by DuB.wEasEl »

The firesign theater... "The Giant rat of Sumatra" "The History OF Marijuana"
83 Tercel SR5
81 Isuzu I-mark, Diesel (42mpg on used motor oil, tranny fluid, fry oil, way oil...)
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

Hey Emma - I'll take those Focus discs if you really want to get rid of them. All of mine is on vinyl and plan on repairing my turntable, some day, but it also which also means I haven't listened to them (focus) seriously in many years.

That said I am not much of a metal head, while I can enjoy enjoy some of it, I have to be in the mood.

Unless Big Sugar qualifies,or maybe a little of the Funks stuff - Who can forget Saran Wrap or The Coca-cola dousch.
Good memories - Thanks.

DLB - Somehow I missed your response but found it today. Funny I never even thought of checking Wiki for the low down on the band.
I always wondered what happened to them, thanks for the update.
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Eric Clapton - It's In The Way That You Use It
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
New Order - True Faith
Gary Numan - Cars
Judas Priest - Turbo Lover
Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

etc. etc..
K-Business
larry mcgrath
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 tercel v20 B/T (The ROCKET)98 toyota t100

Post by larry mcgrath »

All you need is chanel 70 serious radio BB KING BLUES CHANEL that Will get you there ,where ever
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by emmahumpfritter »

DLB,

For some strange reason, my macbook won't let me view youtube (video driver issue? Full blown net censorship?) been trying to send you some links to latest musical interests. I guess this will have to do:

Folk: Been love'n on the Newfie classics. Masterless Men, The Irish Descendants, Ryan's Fancy, The Navigators, Great Big Sea (except their obvious sentimental pandering songs)

Also, from across the North Atlantic: Wardruna, ex-Gorgoroth drummer and sometimes member Ghaal, Viking mood music for the night before the battle :)

Metal: I just can't get sick of The Crown. IMHO all of scandi metal can be summed up in their song "Blitzrieg Witchcraft"

"You got to learn the hard way, that the world don't want to be saved!" Followed by the sarcastic ending, "There will be peace and silence, in eternity, your prayers have finally been answered!" (As the nukes rain from the sky) Ahhhh...so refreshing is the honesty of black metal :)

I've been studying the latest Rush offering, "Clockwork Angels" (as any good Rush fan would) There will always be a place in my heart for the boys, Neal Peart is the good advice giving father I never had :)

Now go look up those songs and weigh in :)

BDN
260K with no end in sight....
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

bdn, i checked stuff out and then the site promptly went down so here's my late review. i was lukewarm on the crown and blitzkrieg witchcraft--it was ok but too much of a punk vibe for my liking. wardruna was neat, it's something i might listen to now and then.

i recently checked out a bunch of old bathory tracks and was really disappointed. i can understand bathory's status as forefathers of death, black, viking, and pagan metal but hearing it for the first time in 2012 when all of those ideas have been expanded (and in many cases improved) upon, i can't appreciate the ultra raw recordings or low level musicianship. i have yet to check out their later stuff though.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Johnny Rivers, "Realization" album
Henry Mancini, "Peter Gunn" long version.
Dave Brubeck, "Take Five"
The Browns, "The Old Lamplighter"
Willie Nelson. "Moonlight in Vermont", "Pancho and Lefty", "Seven Spanish Angles"
The Doors, "Riders on the Storm"
Mahalia Jackson, "Summertime" (from the 1952 Bell Telephone Hour TV show)
Vaughn Monroe, "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky"
Billy Joel, "Baby Grand"
Neil Diamond, "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show"
Desmond Decker, "Israelites"
The Beatles, "Norwegian Wood"
Rolling Stones, "Paint it Black"
Bob Seger, "Turn the Page"
Fats Domino, "Walking to New Orleans"
Glenn Yarbrough, "Baby the Rain Must Fall"
Sandpipers, "Guantanamera"
Linda Ronstadt, "Blue Bayou"
Ferrante and Teicher, "Exodus"

and about 800 more
North of 64
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: "Bones" 87 SR5 4wd wagon

Post by North of 64 »

keith wrote:Johnny Rivers, "Realization" album
Henry Mancini, "Peter Gunn" long version.
Dave Brubeck, "Take Five"
The Browns, "The Old Lamplighter"
Willie Nelson. "Moonlight in Vermont", "Pancho and Lefty", "Seven Spanish Angles"
The Doors, "Riders on the Storm"
Mahalia Jackson, "Summertime" (from the 1952 Bell Telephone Hour TV show)
Vaughn Monroe, "(Ghost) Riders in the Sky"
Billy Joel, "Baby Grand"
Neil Diamond, "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show"
Desmond Decker, "Israelites"
The Beatles, "Norwegian Wood"
Rolling Stones, "Paint it Black"
Bob Seger, "Turn the Page"
Fats Domino, "Walking to New Orleans"
Glenn Yarbrough, "Baby the Rain Must Fall"
Sandpipers, "Guantanamera"
Linda Ronstadt, "Blue Bayou"
Ferrante and Teicher, "Exodus"

and about 800 more
Nice selection Keith, Thanks
North of 64
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: "Bones" 87 SR5 4wd wagon

Post by North of 64 »

and speaking of music. Any of you planning on catching either Neil Young (Seattle Nov 10th, Vancouver Nov 11th) or Paul McCartney later this fall?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

North of 64 wrote:and speaking of music. Any of you planning on catching either Neil Young (Seattle Nov 10th, Vancouver Nov 11th) or Paul McCartney later this fall?
nein, i like neil young but not enough to make the trip across the water for it, and i do not think much of mccartney. i might go see napalm death again in vancouver though, they're amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el5ewJxBASo