Video/audio of a properly running T4WD

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
speedgraphic
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD Wagon, Manual

Video/audio of a properly running T4WD

Post by speedgraphic »

Does anyone have (or can they make!) a video (or audio recording I guess, but these days video is more prevalent) of a properly running T4WD? Mine has always had a quiet-ish "tick tick tick" that varies with engine speed, and I want to make sure it's not something serious - but I'm not sure if the sound is supposed to be there in the first place.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Video/audio of a properly running T4WD

Post by Petros »

that most likely is one or more valves out of adjustment. I have found adjusting them cold usually results in that ticking, so I do mine with the engine just as warm as I can handle touching the parts, and it usually works out quite.

Another source of a "tick" sound is possible exhaust leak in the exhaust manifold gasket (sometimes the manifold bolts work loose from temp cycling, you have to remove the carb to get to all of them). Also check the head pipe to exhaust manifold gasket for leaks.

Not sure a recording will help you much, "properly running" is rather subjective for a 25 plus year old carburated engine.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
speedgraphic
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD Wagon, Manual

Post by speedgraphic »

Makes sense, thanks Petros. If I posted a recording of my T4WD, would you mind offering your opinion as to if the click you hear is something that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sure I can try, computer reproduced sounds are always the most "realistic" but I can try. as long as you have the correct oil level it is not likely a tick like that will create any problems, it is just annoying, not really harmful. Presuming it does not get louder the more you drive it.

A banging or knocking is a different issue of course, if that than likely the engine needs major work.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)