Norwegian -86 Tercel , sleeper 4ag project

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
erognmo
My tercel:: -86 3a euro spec, 4ag project

Norwegian -86 Tercel , sleeper 4ag project

Post by erognmo »

hi...

-86 tercel , i've planned a 4 ag swap, yamaha R1 carbed ,

The 4AG needs a rebuild, updates will be posted here.

I'll do a quickfix paintjob tomorrow, just to keep the rust away, the tercel will never be a beauty anyways..

i'll post some pictures for you guys.

Todays headlight mod

Two tone interior, i had to try it (i have a spareparts-car/donor/test-mount-cahassie :p)

Removed all the plastic trim , spent HOURS removing the F****** glue.. preparing the car for some paint. and i will throw the plastic straight into the first dumpster i'll find ;)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Norwegian -86 Tercel , sleeper 4ag project

Post by dlb »

the two tone dash looks really cool! is that a tercel inclinometer though? it looks different to me.

when i painted mine, i had a ton of trouble with the rub strip glue too. i also found rust hiding underneath the strips.

what is the little black thing in front of the headlight on the bumper?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

interesting two tone dash, odd color mix-I like it. An older grey lower and later year black upper might look good too. You guys get all nice stuff, the steering wheel (I hate the look of the North American steering wheel), the inclinometer on all model years, and those nice slim bumpers.

DLB, the thing in front of the head light is a head light washer spray nozzle. Many European countries require head light washers because of freezing slush/mud conditions on most of their roads in the winter.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

ah, i see. funny it would spray the headlight but not wipe it. better than nothing though, i suppose.

we have those steering wheels on the '87/'88 SR5's up here in canada, peter. let me know if you ever want one in a certain colour and i could try to track on down for you.
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

dlb wrote:we have those steering wheels on the '87/'88 SR5's up here in canada, peter. let me know if you ever want one in a certain colour and i could try to track on down for you.
He right Petro , I have same kind that came from 88 model , also other 2 steering wheels from 1983-84 which are same as European T4WD has except center cap are different. One of them is in my car now which you already see it .The hand grip on steering wheel is larger than normal . I guess Canada are like European because we have Queen Elizabeth II on our money .
North of 64
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: "Bones" 87 SR5 4wd wagon

Post by North of 64 »

Yup same steering wheel in my 87 SR5, except my "Toyota" is upside down (annoying)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

North of 64 wrote:Yup same steering wheel in my 87 SR5, except my "Toyota" is upside down (annoying)
weird! you can probably carefully pry the piece with the toyota logo off and re-glue it right side up.
North of 64
Top Notch Member

Post by North of 64 »

i suspect i have to remove the entire steering wheel and reposition. Just one of the many personality quirks of my 87
North of 64
Top Notch Member

Post by North of 64 »

dlb wrote:the two tone dash looks really cool! is that a tercel inclinometer though? it looks different to me.

when i painted mine, i had a ton of trouble with the rub strip glue too. i also found rust hiding underneath the strips.
Anyone have any known tips to soften said glue prior to removal? My rubber SR5 strips have come off and I started picking it off by hand last night, then thought "wait someone on our forum will have some suggestions"
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

North of 64 wrote:i suspect i have to remove the entire steering wheel and reposition. Just one of the many personality quirks of my 87
oh, is the whole steering wheel upside down? the alignment could be way off. i would check the alignment and correct as necessary, and if the steering wheel is still way off then you can easily remove it and center it. the horn portion just pops out with a good tug, then lock the steering and undo the 19 mm bolt. give the steering wheel a hard tug and it will pop off.
erognmo

Post by erognmo »

North of 64 wrote:
dlb wrote:the two tone dash looks really cool! is that a tercel inclinometer though? it looks different to me.

Anyone have any known tips to soften said glue prior to removal? My rubber SR5 strips have come off and I started picking it off by hand last night, then thought "wait someone on our forum will have some suggestions"
i used a sharp blade to remove the black stuff , and softened the glue with paint thinner the one that smells good :p (not white spirit) , the glue felt like soft chewing gum.. used some strips of a towel to wipe the glue, glue "rolled" of but still sticky, "peas" all over.. used more thinner , and wiped it of with paper..

i really like the dark headlight mod.. remove the glass and the reflector, paint everything , cover the reflector , and paint the bulb-cap :)
erognmo

Post by erognmo »

Prepared for next winter season :D Hakkapeliitta 7, 830 dollars, and it's worth it

Inclinometer closeup

Found some 16" in the garage.. :p

I've decided to remove the rust and use filler and get everything nice and smooth before i'll paint everything with Hammerite.

I think I prefer to use yamaha rx1 snowmobile carbs instead, they can be heated by the engines cooling system
Last edited by erognmo on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
North of 64
Top Notch Member

Post by North of 64 »

no image
erognmo

Post by erognmo »

refresh the page
toughtercel