tercel RWD

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Kapteinmoby
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 87 (85 look) Tercel 4wd wagon, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 85 Tercel wagon 4WD Amfibious (Tvillingen) previous: 86 Tercel wagon 4WD

tercel RWD

Post by Kapteinmoby »

hey, i wounderd if anyone have made the tercel RWD. i want to try it for fun, but wonder if it will hurt the car any, or make the front suspention and steering dangerous.
the way i think to do it is to remove one(or both?) of the CV axels(front axel) and just keep the inner drivenod(joint) to prevent stones and stuff from getting inn to the diff.
any experiense on the feeld anyone?
Current: 87 Tercel 4wd wagon, 98 Toyota avensis 1,6 4a-fe, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD amfibious (tvillingen)

Former: 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 86 Tercel wagon 4WD 87 Opel Corsa A 1.3, 84-88 Toyota Carina II 1.8, 93 Opel Vectra A 2.0 and 68 Mercedes-Benz E 200.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Re: tercel RWD

Post by Tercel__jon »

On other cars that have been converted they used a different trans...but as far as the fronts are concerned I know youd have to keep the part thats in the hub. Otherwise it would fall apart. As far as the trans is concerned...I guess you could just use the innermost part of the cv to plug it, but I myself would worry about it coming out and causing all the fluid to pour out.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

You would also want to keep the outer part of the cv axle bolted through the hub. That is what holds the bearing in place, it is pressed fit into the hub (steering knuckle), but likely it would work its way out if not held in place by the spline shaft and large nut.

Best way would be to get some MR2 front steering knuckles and swap them over to the Tercle struts. And yes, put the inner spline shaft stub into the front diff housing. Snap rings should hold them in okay, if they did not even with the rest of the axle in place they can still pop out far enough to cause you to loose all of the gear lube.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

The beat would be to use the t50 trans bolt straight on, and as petros mention mr2 or rwd corollas front spindle might work or just put a fat bolt with washers thru the hub instead of cv to keep bearings in place(cheapest way so you dont have to play with steering)! The corolla hub is reverse kinda of thing! You'll have to use the right wheel as the left and vice versa cause the tie rod is reverse corolla and mr2 have the rack and pinion on the firewall instead than the crossmember! If you keep the 4wd trans that way you only gonna get half of your power!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not know why you would bother, without the 4wd feature, it is just an old econo-box.

Putting bolts with large washers through the front spindles is likely the easiest thing to do. But keeping the FWD steering knuckles would keep extra weight on the front hubs.

I do not think the t50 trans would go in so easy, you would have to lower the engine or cut the tunnel out. the Tercel trans has the main shaft below the level of the bottom of the engine, so the engine sits higher than the trans. Putting a rwd trans in the Tercel means the input/out shaft is much higher than it would be on the Tercel. So you either have to find a way to lower the engine about 2-3" or raise the trans a like amount. It can be done, but not without a lot of cutting and welding.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Kapteinmoby
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 87 (85 look) Tercel 4wd wagon, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 85 Tercel wagon 4WD Amfibious (Tvillingen) previous: 86 Tercel wagon 4WD

Post by Kapteinmoby »

thanks for the replay, i think the cheapest way is to use the things i have. so i will use the outer parts of the cv axels. this is just to try, no long term thing, i just want to have as much experience as i can get with this car. and also with the strong weber i wil try out how a terc with rwd skidds on gravel ;)
Current: 87 Tercel 4wd wagon, 98 Toyota avensis 1,6 4a-fe, 85 Tercel wagon 4WD amfibious (tvillingen)

Former: 85 Tercel wagon 4WD (Blå), 86 Tercel wagon 4WD 87 Opel Corsa A 1.3, 84-88 Toyota Carina II 1.8, 93 Opel Vectra A 2.0 and 68 Mercedes-Benz E 200.
LittleRed4wd
Top Notch Member

Post by LittleRed4wd »

Post pics and/ or videos of the RWD tercel if you do it!
86 Silver SR5 "Silver Bullet"- 3in lift, 205/75/14s, torque cam, big brakes- Sold
86 Red SR5 "Battle Wagon"- 2.5in lift, 205/75/14s, rebuilt 3ac, chalkboard hood- Totaled
86 White DX "The Gateway Drug"- All stock-Totaled
Kapteinmoby
Advanced Member

Post by Kapteinmoby »

it's no problem, half an hours work and the tercel is rwd, and most of my carbuddies is impressed :D it skidds a bit, but i havent found the perfect plase to test it yet, and the tanny is stealing some hp. pics and movie wil come.