What breaks on a Tercel?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
LittleRed4wd
Top Notch Member

Re: What breaks on a Tercel?

Post by LittleRed4wd »

Okay cool, I'm not worried about anything that'll slowly wear out, just stuff that could instantly fail without warning. Seems like the electronic side of things is where that'll happen most
86 Silver SR5 "Silver Bullet"- 3in lift, 205/75/14s, torque cam, big brakes- Sold
86 Red SR5 "Battle Wagon"- 2.5in lift, 205/75/14s, rebuilt 3ac, chalkboard hood- Totaled
86 White DX "The Gateway Drug"- All stock-Totaled
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sometimes an old hose (heater, radiator, etc.) can look fine, but blow unexpectedly. If you have recent heater and rad hoses, most other things (other than electrical) should still be drivable even if worn or in partial failure.

Alternators or distributor inners can test out fine, they are in working order, and than like a light bulb, suddenly burns out and stops working the next day.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Inspect your alternator belt! For cracks and wear if any cracks carry a new one in case it failed! It just happen to me few days ago good thing it broke right beside a auto part store how sweet! Was a quick fix but if it would of happen 5 min later I would of spend the night in my car, they closed the door behind me as I've walked in! That belt runs the water pump aswell so very important, that and a dizzy you can always crawl the car out of the wood, sometime noisy but you'll get out!
Somewhat I think of my Tercel like that Beetle in a Disney movie, I think she's alive sometime! Lol ! But I swear it's true!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

Lil Beast wrote: Somewhat I think of my Tercel like that Beetle in a Disney movie, I think she's alive sometime! Lol ! But I swear it's true!
I fully agree with you , that why I 'm a Car lover. My car purrr while I hugging it .( weird eh h )
LittleRed4wd
Top Notch Member

Post by LittleRed4wd »

Well I've followed lots of the advise from this thread as to what I should bring and I'm heading to Utah tomorrow for some off roading/ exploring. I'll put some pics up when I get back!
86 Silver SR5 "Silver Bullet"- 3in lift, 205/75/14s, torque cam, big brakes- Sold
86 Red SR5 "Battle Wagon"- 2.5in lift, 205/75/14s, rebuilt 3ac, chalkboard hood- Totaled
86 White DX "The Gateway Drug"- All stock-Totaled