I Need a Stabilizer Bar!!!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Tercedes
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

I Need a Stabilizer Bar!!!

Post by Tercedes »

Does anyone have any idea where I can find a stabilizer bar? Maybe pulled from another make and model car that fits or anything? I called a dealer in Denver and he said that there are none in the country. Mine is broken which has rendered my car useless. Please help!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: I Need a Stabilizer Bar!!!

Post by dlb »

calling the local wreckers is your best bet. shouldn't cost much. probably a good time to replace your end bushings and collars too but only dealer-associated places sell them. if you're in the US, try butler toyota in indiana. a lot of members here use them and find they have great prices.

i did a write up on removing/installing the stabilizer bar, aka sway bar, in case you need it.

https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7481
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

I would check another dealer.
Far too many dealers find it easier to say NLA rather than do the required checking.
I got a new bar last year without any trouble.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

I know you can get aftermarket ones! Godspeed makes them for T4WD!
Edit: Sorry my bad they are for AE86 my mind got mixed up! The rear one may fit tho!
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

I'm going to head out to my folks on sunday where my parts car is at, I can see if I could pull it and get it shipped. Though shipping may be quite expensive depending on the size of the part. It's on an '85. Are you looking for front or rear? If front which side?
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
Tercedes

Post by Tercedes »

Im looking for the front stabilizer bar for an 84 Tercel 4wd. I've had no luck yet with the junk yards. I'd be happy to pay for shipping and the part. Any help is appreciated. If anyone has anything please let me know.
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Okay, checked mine, it looks good and is one piece (can't read the FSM too well for abbreviated drawings apparently). I'll get some pics up in a few. How does $25 +shipping sound?
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

arb, you should prob remove the bar and check for bottle-necking underneath the collar before selling it to tercedes. that's the crucial part of the bar.
Tercedes

Post by Tercedes »

I would be more than happy to take that from you. DLB is right about the bottle necking as that was what ended my stabilizer bar. But even if there is some bottle necking I can at least take it to a machinist and have them reinforce the warn out areas. Send me a message and I can get you the money for is asap. I'm riding my bike around in the snow here in the Colorado Rockies until my car is back on the road. Thanks a ton arbskynxnex.
Tercedes

Post by Tercedes »

Thanks Arbskynxnex for getting me that bar. I'm back up and running now. Still not 100% though. I don't suppose you might have a lower control arm you would be willing to sell me? The hole where the bar mounts to is warn out to a size much larger than it should be. The bar wont mount in there snugly and so I still have play and will have play until I replace it.
You were more than fair on the last piece. If you have this lower control arm and are willing to part with it I would again be very appreciative.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

there is quite a bit of space in the sway bar end receiving holes in the control arm normally. did you compare one control arm to the other? i guess if your old sway bar was bouncing around it could have worn it down a bit over time.
Tercedes

Post by Tercedes »

Yep. That's exactly what it did. The hole is worn out to be much larger than what is should be.