inclinometer installation pictorial

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

inclinometer installation pictorial

Post by dlb »

just threw an inclinometer into my project car and took pics along the way. here goes.

sit the inclinometer on the dash to figure out where it's going to sit. line it up with the vents below it. press it down so the mounting studs leave a faint imprint on the dash.

take a pen and mark each of the stud imprints, as well as a point right between the left and center studs. this extra hole it where the wiring will pass through the dash.

drill the hell out of your dash--carefully, that is. i used a 9/16 drill bit. i then did a test fit with the inclinometer and it was a little low and not quite sitting flush on the dash so i used a coarse round file to 'adjust' the holes a little bit higher.

that's better. now push the wires through and sit it on its future home.

now take the dash hood off. you don't need to remove the three small screws at the front underside of the hood, just the two on the underside at the bottom...

...and the two at the back on the underside of the hood.

unplug the four plugs--each one has it's own annoying style of clip so take a good look and squeeze appropriately--and pull the hood off. the clock adjustment and trip button have lots of give so don't worry, you won't break them.

then remove the four screws holding the gauge cluster in place, as well as the two screws and little metal arms that sit just above the cluster. pull the cluster forward as far as it will go (only about 2"), unplug the two plugs and the speedo from the back. the speedo is tricky: it has two hooks to hold it on. one must be squeezed and the other must be lifted. do this at the same time while gently pulling on the gauge cluster and it should come off easily.

carefully cut back the protective cover on the 12-position plug so that you have access to the wires you need to splice into.

now pull the inclinometer wires over and splice them in appropriately. use the handy little splice-in guys like the blue ones i used. not sure what they're called but they're awesome. here are the directions from gtsscportscoupe's original guide on this, slightly modified to be more clear.

7-position connector in gauge cluster hood right side:
- red w/ white stripe wire of inclinometer to yellow wire of hood connector
- white w/black stripe wire of inclinometer to red w/ green stripe wire of hood connector

12-position connector in gauge cluster:
- red wire of inclinometer to green w/ red stripe wire of gauge connector--be aware that there is a mint (aka light green) w/ red stripe wire in the 12-positing connector but that is NOT the one you want.)
- black wire of inclinometer to green w/ yellow stripe wire of gauge connector

now test it out! turn on running lights and the whole thing should light up:

turn the key to the run position (you don't need to start the car) and put the car in 4WD and the 4WD indicator should light up:

if it doesn't light up properly, check the bulbs in the inclinometer by removing the screws on either side of the inclinometer hood and pull the hood off. it is also fastened by a few clips so pull hard. twist the bulb holders and they come out. if the bulbs are good, check your wiring.

once everything is working right, plug the gauge cluster back in, screw it back in place, plug the stuff back into the dash hood, and screw it back into place too. now to screw the inclinometer down.

remove the glove box--two screws at the bottom of it, that's it.

then remove the screw and the right black air duct piece by sliding it right and then down and out.

then remove the screw and left black air duct piece by pulling it out. this will give you just enough room to reach up and thread the nuts onto the inclinometer's mounting studs.

now just reach up and thread the nuts onto the studs. i do it by hand and then snug them up just a bit more by holding a socket or small wrench. they're 8 mm. now very important--DON'T DROP THE NUTS BACK THERE OR YOU'LL HAVE A HELL OF A TIME FINDING THEM.

put the air ducts and glove box back and you're done!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: inclinometer installation pictorial

Post by ARCHINSTL »

BRAVO - ONCE AGAIN ! ! !
Now a sticky!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4doorVIP
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon

Post by 4doorVIP »

that is badass I didnt realize it lit up like that. nice one
2JZGTE-powered Tercel SR5
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Props!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Mcmattlds
My tercel:: 83 4wd ..lifted custom exaust all sr5 add ons

Post by Mcmattlds »

Hey yall tercel junkies" just did a inclometer upgrade on a 83 4wd delux just wanted to share the info that if you feel around up behind the heat ducts there was an actuall plug for the inclometer already there...full lights yay!! ................. I have noticed other wire plugs for opts that the delux did not have but thanx for the wiring info almost had to cut an splice...
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

wow, that's neat. i've never seen those plugs in dlx's before. i'll dig deeper next time.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I wonder if the plug is in 85+
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
JDNightFox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: toyota

Post by JDNightFox »

Just pulled my dash apart to do this plug in on my 86 and the wire colors don't match. I do not have a yellow wire or a red with green stripe on the 7 pin connection

edit: nevermind I was looking at the wrong socket since the photobucket photos are gone, all working now
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

As irowiki pointed out earlier this week, if you click on the photos, they will open unblurred. Glad you got it figured out.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I haven't looked at those pics in forever. As soon as I saw them, I remember the smell of that particular T4. It was an unpleasant blend of body odor, cigarette smoke, mouldy food, and wet dog. I bought it from an absolutely filthy person in an absolutely filthy town a few hours away. Memories.

The crazy thing is, I haven't even seen a T4 on any of the used car listings around here for about a year now. Seen quite a few old Subaru's though, which is funny -- it used to be the opposite.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

dlb wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:11 am ...Seen quite a few old Subaru's though, which is funny -- it used to be the opposite.
Shows which ones age better! :lol: :wink:

[/joke]
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

The Professor wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:16 pm
dlb wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:11 am ...Seen quite a few old Subaru's though, which is funny -- it used to be the opposite.

[/joke]
Or which ones are worth keeping! Touche' :)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

splatterdog wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:17 pm
The Professor wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:16 pm

[/joke]
Or which ones are worth keeping! Touche' :)
Lol. Nicely done.
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

Just wired mine up! Unfortunately I can't get the 4wd light to glow even after I swapped bulbs in the clinometer multiple times so I'm going to take it back apart soon but I really appreciate the wonderful write-up!

Which color wire on the clinometer is for the 4wd light?
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Sorry MrWrench, I don't know which wire on the clinometer is for the 4wd light. I just followed the "hook this wire to that one" info from GTSsportscoupe and it worked. If you dig through the wiring section of the FSM, it might mention it in there. Otherwise I would just inspect and fiddle with each of the connections you made until you find the culprit. Lousy advice, I know.