Automatic fuel pump?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
andrewrenow
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 tercel 4wd sr5

Automatic fuel pump?

Post by andrewrenow »

Has anybody tried this in their t4wd? When i needed one they had these available at autozone for $20 more than the one i got. I was skeptical about it because our cars didnt come with this out of the factory. Are there any benefits from this?
1984 tercel 4wd sr5
1997 subaru legacy outback awd
1992 toyota paseo (daily driver)
1993 mercedes 190e (for sale)
looking for a corolla all-trac wagon
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Automatic fuel pump?

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Presumably this is it - $15 more?:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 73884_4967_
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

are you talking about an electric fuel pump? This was a popular "performance" mod back in the days of carburetors, supposedly reduced the power drain on the engine to use an electric pump, and it could deliver more fuel if you had a highly modified engine. Two problems, with a mechanical fuel pump if you are in a crash, when the engine stops, so does the fuel delivery (that is why in some racing classes only mechanical pumps are allowed). And you have to make sure the replacement pump delivers the same pressure as the factory pump or you could overpower the float valve in the carb and it will flood the engine. As for the claim it has less drag that seems unlikely to me since you have to pull electrical power from alternator to drive the pump rather than mechanical power from the cam shaft, you are pumping the same amount of fuel either way, and not likely the pumping efficiency is noticeably different between the two pumps. It does have the advantage of cleaning up the engine compartment, it is more common to install the electric pump back near the fuel tank.

When I was young my dad had a Lancia Appia (used an unusual all aluminum V-4 engine), when the fuel pump went bad the local repair shop installed a generic electric fuel pump (says it cost less than getting a factory pump from Italy). After that the little car made a "tuck,tuck,tuck,tuck..." noise from the trunk area when we drove around in it. We all thought it was funny.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Does your car still have the factory carb? Even with an aftermarket carb you will need a FP regulator with an electric pump. Years ago I put an electric pump on my old Triumph that still had the original mech one (which incredibly still worked). The car had the 32/36 weber when I got it, but I later switched back to the stock Stromberg for autocross rule reasons. It ran fine with either pump/carb. I kept the mech pump mounted to the engine as backup for the electric.

In short - you won't notice any change with an electric pump/regulator. If you do get one you might want to mount it underhood for easy access.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

i think electric pumps are designed to push rather than suck--- should be mounted as close to the tank as possible.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

That may be more true for higher pressure FI pumps. I had a pump from a carb'ed Ford Ranger IIRC mounted near my stock mech one. The hoses were the right length so I could get the mech pump hooked up in 2 minutes if I needed it. I just didn't want to be stuck on the side a highway fishing for tough to reach fuel lines under the car. But in 5 years of driving the sucker pump worked fine.

Andrew did you ever get an electric pump?
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Millions of Morris Minors (and tens of thousands of Singers and MG T-Series cars) had their SU electric pumps mounted on the firewall - and worked well. I can't comment on other BritMobiles, though. MG (and others?) went to rear-mounted, external, pumps to eliminate vapor lock which occasionally occurred on the assorted T-Series. However, vapor lock was never a prob with my many Minors - or the Singer, for that matter.

My impression that modern cars have pumps mounted inside the tank is for cooling of the pump - although I am unsure of this.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain