please help on firing order

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
rein1804
My tercel:: 83 tercel wagon

please help on firing order

Post by rein1804 »

hello pips,,

my engine is a 3ac

looking it at the rite side of the engine where the spark plugs are located from left to right... is it 1342 or 3142..

i did follow the numbers in the distributor cap plug wire 1 in first park plug, plug wire 3 in the 2nd spark plug,, plugwire 4 in 3rd spark plug and lastly plug wire 2 in the last spark plug..but when i started it it runs very rough.this following the 1342 firing order

what i did is interchange the plug wires 1 and 3.. putting plug wire 1 in the 2nd spark plug and plug wire 3 in the 1st spark plug..now it runs better than above.. but when rev the engine i hear a fire cracker sound at the end.. do u think its a miss fire.. this is following the 3142 firing order

please help..
tanx and much apreaciated
rein1804

Re: please help on firing order

Post by rein1804 »

here is the picture of the distrbutor,ang plugs

danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

The firing order is 1-3-4-2. As you look at the numbers on the side of the distributor cap, just visualize the rotor underneath rotating counterclockwise. If you look at the distributor cap from the driver's side (referred to in mechanic's speak as the left side of the car as if you are sitting in the driver's seat), it shows which cap port goes to what cylinder. You have the wrong wires (by length) plugged into the cap going to the wrong plugs.

If you left the cap end of the wires as you have them, then the other ends would swap as follows: your wire going to the #1 plug should go to the #3 plug, your #2 wire should go to the #1 plug, your #3 should go to the #2 plug, and your #4 should go to the #2 plug. The wires won't be the right length to do this so your need to remove them from the cap and reroute everything. I think the Factory Service Manual (linked on this site) may have a picture of the proper routing.

Welcome to the club and let us know what happens.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

holy crap, i'm confused.

it sounds like you are mixed about about the cylinders themselves so just in case that is the case: the cylinders, from front of the car to the back, are 1, 2, 3, and 4. match those up with the #s printed on the side of distributor.
rein1804

Post by rein1804 »

@danzo
"
If you left the cap end of the wires as you have them, then the other ends would swap as follows: your wire going to the #1 plug should go to the #3 plug, your #2 wire should go to the #1 plug, your #3 should go to the #2 plug, and your #4 should go to the #2 plug. The wires won't be the right length to do this so your need to remove them from the cap and reroute everything. I think the Factory Service Manual (linked on this site) may have a picture of the proper routing. "

im confuse with this..

anyways i myself had a mistype in the begining the once that runs well for me is 3421 not 3142, following the rotor counterclockwise .my #3 wire goes to #1 plug, #4 wire goes #3 plug, #2 wire goes to #4, and my lastly #1 wire to my #2 plug .does this mean i have a advance timing.? tanx for welcoming me..i really wanted this car the first time i saw it and also after reading a lot of good things about it.

@dlb

i am too.was confused..3421 is now in my firing order.. when i follow 1342 it runs very rough..
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

you don't even need to worry about the firing order, all you need to do is hook up the 1st cylinder spark plug to the wire designated '1' on the dizzy, the 2nd cylinder spark plug to the wire designated '2' on the dizzy, etc, and if it still runs rough then that means something else is wrong, not your firing order. if that is the case, your timing could be off, which you should check with a timing light. it should be set at 5* with the vac advance disconnected and unplugged. check the manual here to see how to do that, it's easy. also, while it is running rough you can try carefully disconnecting one spark plug wire at a time from its respective spark plug. the engine should run rougher with the wire disconnected. if there is no change, then there is a problem with that particular cylinder, in which case you should check the spark plug, wire, and specific terminal in the dizzy cap.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

To look for what .........
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

If 3421 works then stick with that. It means you have the distributor 90 degrees out from where it should be, but it doesn’t really matter. Notice that the order is still 1342, just expressed in a different way. Think of it more like this: 34213421...
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

dlb wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:37 pm if there is no change, then there is a problem with that particular cylinder, in which case you should check the spark plug, wire, and specific terminal in the dizzy cap.
And look for what in tbe dizzy?
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|