I need differential parts for my 85 SR5!

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
NathanRoberts
My tercel:: 85 Toyota Tercel SR5

I need differential parts for my 85 SR5!

Post by NathanRoberts »

I took the trans and front diff out of my 85 SR5. The ring and pinion were thrashed, needless to say I need to rebuild the thing. Can anyone tell me where I can find a diff rebuild kit? Any help would be appreciated. Also, when the differential gave up it punched a hole in the case. So if anyone has an extra bellhousing, or know where I can get one, I would appreciate that too
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Re: I need differential parts for my 85 SR5!

Post by danzo »

Where are you? I've got a spare trans from my '86 I don't need (same 4.11 ratio as yours). It's intact save for the stripped first gear, you could combo the two to make a good one. I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth area (yes, home of this year's soon to be MLB World Champion Rangers), but I may be able to ship you the parts you need depending on what you need. When you say you have a hole in the case, do you mean the round diff cover on the front-most part of the trans? Can you post pics?

I don't think a 'diff rebuild kit' exists, like most older car owners the used parts sources are our best friends esp for the expensive not-usually-broken parts.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

danzo wrote: I'm in the Dallas/Ft Worth area (yes, home of this year's soon to be MLB World Champion Rangers)
While totally OT - see complete devastation of danzo's VERY premature boast in Off Topic...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Welcome to the list. Too bad to hear about your diff. If your trans is still good make sure you flush it out good before you reinstall it with the new diff. On a car this old all you can do is search the wrecking yards for a new diff/frontbell housing. Best to get it as an assembled unit so you do not have to worry about the setting the gear lash. If possible you should consider just replacing the whole front transaxle and keeping your old trans for spare parts. Also be aware that the '83-84 front and rear diff are 3.73:1 and the '85 and later are 4.1:1, you DO NOT want to mix these up, the trans and diff are almost identical and can be bolted up, with really bad results if the front and rear gear ratio do not match. Sometimes even the later years could have an earlier trans put in it, so verify the ratio before you install it no matter where you get it from.

Good luck, these can be difficult to locate.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NathanRoberts

Post by NathanRoberts »

I counted the teeth on it, and it looks like I have the 3.73 gears. I need a new bellhousing, the hole isn't in the cover, I will try to post pics later. Danzo, if you wouldn't mind shipping those parts to Utah that would be awesome! We were planning on rebuilding the trans, but then the diff gave up the ghost. I wouldn't mind (in fact I'd rather have) the 4.10 gears, so if anyone has a spare rear gear that would help too. Thanks guys.
NathanRoberts

Post by NathanRoberts »

If anybody has a parts car in the SoCal or Utah or anywhere between there area, that would be appreciated as well.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

Nathan do you want the whole parts trans or just the diff gears? I'd take $35 plus shipping either way. If you can get cheap bulk shipping (i.e. Greyhound) then the whole trans may be your best bet. I can dig it out of storage soon and post a few pics.

I also have another complete trans I got from a j-yard about a year ago as a spare for my car. I haven't installed it, but I do know it turns all the gears. It came out of an early car that orginally had an automatic, so I don't know the diff ratio. Theoretically it's a 3.73 but I can check if you are interested. I would sell it for what I paid ($140).

Go Rangers!
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
NathanRoberts

Post by NathanRoberts »

Well Danzo, I would be more than happy to get those parts from you, but if I did I would need to get a new rear end. If you have one or if anybody else has one, I would be more than happy to purchase one of those as well.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

Do you want the whole trans or just the 4.11 gears? I can check the ratio of the trans hopefully in the next few days (my storage unit is an hour's drive from my house). I don't have a rear end, but I imagine you could get one locally, they are not too rare, but it may not be necessary.
NathanRoberts

Post by NathanRoberts »

I found a bellhousing and diff at a local yard for $20. But the bellhousing has a hole in it on the trans side, is that hole supposed to be there? The only reason I ask is because it's in the exact same place as the hole in the bellhousing that I pulled off my SR5. Sorry this is the first time I've torn one of these down. If the hole isn't supposed to be there I figued that I could just JB Weld it with a patch. Any info would Help. And thank you Danzo for offering to help me with those parts.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there is a passage way between the trans and the diff to allow the gear oil to circulate, it is built into the casting. Is that what you mean?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

NathanRoberts wrote:I found a bellhousing and diff at a local yard for $20. But the bellhousing has a hole in it on the trans side, is that hole supposed to be there? The only reason I ask is because it's in the exact same place as the hole in the bellhousing that I pulled off my SR5. Sorry this is the first time I've torn one of these down. If the hole isn't supposed to be there I figued that I could just JB Weld it with a patch. Any info would Help. And thank you Danzo for offering to help me with those parts.
You're welcome, I'm sure my gearbox parts will find a home at some point in time. Sounds like you got a great deal if those parts are serviceable. You might want to post a pic so we know exactly what hole you are referring to. Always pleasing to hear another T4wd will be enjoying life once again soon!
NathanRoberts

Post by NathanRoberts »

Yeah Petros, it's the only hole there, it's in the same spot so that's why I was curious. It just looks rough like Toyota didn't even try to clean up the hole after they put it there.
danzo
Highest Ranking Member

Post by danzo »

This may be a silly question, but can we remove/replace the front diff without removing the trans from one of our cars? Is the diff from a fwd trans compatible with the 4wd diff? I'm just wondering for future reference in case I blow mine up.