Bike Carbs 4x32mm

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Re: Bike Carbs 4x32mm

Post by Tercel__jon »

I found a guy on craigslist and we talked for a bit. He took the rear struts for a 91 camry and re drilled the holes for the knuckle while using the tercels stock bearing plate. Said he got nearly 4 inches of lift.

If you need an extra sway bar, let me know. Ive got two extra kicking around here and theyre both in pretty good shape. Dont know how much shipping would hurt though.

I think they only way to disable the 4wd only in EL would be to crack open the transmission. I would assume its kind of like the reverse lock out.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Post by PrescottAZ »

I like the way you are thinking.
I measured the spacing on the rav and it seemed right but the knuckle width is a bit different so I would need to put a spacer to fill in the strut.
Dont think I will need another sway bar.
Got my parts now for install... I'll keep you posted.
J
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Im pretty sure you could easily make a spacer out of aluminum. That is, assuming its not that big of a difference. Or, you know the steel stock they sell at lowes and home depot? Maybe they have something the right thickness? Although steel from them is expensive.

Ill be awaiting the next installment. Hope it all goes well.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 83 4wd, jeep cherokee front springs in rear, cut fenders, mr2 booster, gauge swap for tach, Suzuki Katana 600 Carbs, 330,000 miles and ticking (literally)

Post by PrescottAZ »

grrrr
I was swaping in the jets and putting the filters on and a pilot jet broke in half when I was trying to remove it. Very not cool. Also I rushed putting the fuel bowls back on and two of them are leaking so I will need to reseat them. Not sure what I will do regarding the jet. Cant give it a test like this...
That pilot jet was small. Going to need a tiny easy out. Wanted to cry a little.
So I went to Krav Maga class and am feeling a bit better now.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

Not cool! Hopefully you get it out.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

I will. I just need to find an easy out that size... I was able to work on them on the car and now I will need to pull them off again. Bummed. Maybe next weekend I will dig it out. I am very hopefull she will make a full recovery.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It it is really stuck you need to be careful you dont break the Easyout off in it. You might consider take it all apart and clean it good, and heating the broken jet before you use the easy out on it. If all else fails drill it out and than you can usually pick the remains out of the threads without damaging the threads.

Good luck with it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Hey guys,
Just jammed an allen in there that was a bit too big and it cranked out.
Swapped the new pilots in and did some putsing around. After cranking fuel into the system it starts and idles well w/o the choke on. Before it would only idle with the choke on most of the way.
I started at 1 turn out on mix screws and moved gradualy to .25 and it seems to be coming together.
Wow it likes 5k+ now. After 4500 redline hits fast (comparably still not a 4age). Wish I had a head that could hang out at a bit higher rpms now. Idle sets in at around 1k and is still a little stuttery. I need to figure out a flat spot at 3k. What I really want is for it to be as happy as it is now at 5k down around 3k.
I need to do some research on jetting to see what needs to change here. I plan to keep backing down the mix screw until it gets worse or I hit the bottom. I am assuming it will be happier and happier as I close that mix screw and I will need to get bigger pilots.
Still not sure about the midrange flat spot.
Willing to listen to any ideas here.
Very fun.
later,
Jared
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

do you know how to read plugs? that is very useful when performance tuning of carbs, have you advanced a little bit more than normal, carbs seem to like it
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Yeah I have read plugs but dont have a great place to do it on the road here. I will try putting some more timing on it.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Biggest problem is I am not sure how to adjust mid range. I have read a lot about adjusting based on what the car does at different throttle inputs but not rpm's.
It is weird because it revs well to 3k then hesitates and revs sluggishly to 4.5k hesitates again and pulls hard to redline(very very happy there).
Only thing I havent toyed with is the needle jet settings. May need to get some shims.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

Got it idling smooth and running better but melted a hole in my manifold that I made. It is at the shop having one built out of aluminum. Hopefully that goes well and does not cost me too much. I just dont have the tools to do it myself. The guy said about $150 to build it up for me. I really dont have the money right now but I need the car to be more reliable as I sold my RAV4 and now need this to do my new job. He was impressed and everyone at his shop came out and gathered around to look at it.
Problem is I plan to someday go to a 7afe and will not need this manifold so I am throwing money at something that may have no value in a year. Oh and I noiced that the ticking sound the car used to make is non existant now. Maybe someone on here will want it I guess.
When I get it back I will shim out the needle valve to get more fuel into the mid range. Also not having air leaks will help get more fuel in there as well. Then I will give it a full tank and measure mileage on a trip to Fossil Creek.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

Sometimes on Suzuki carbs you will find a thick plastic washer on top of the needle valve circlip and a thin one on the bottom. If this is the case just swap the two plastic washers and you will have raised the needle valve.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member

Post by Tercel__jon »

You know...you could always sell the manifold to someone else that would like to do the bike carbs when you swap the motor. :wink:

Glad to hear you got it running right. Patiently awaiting mileage readings. lol. Dont forget, we'll want pics of it all set up nice and purdy.
PrescottAZ
Top Notch Member

Post by PrescottAZ »

thats the hope. And when I really want to sell them I will say 62 MPG this is amazing! ;)
Should be done with the manifold by the weekend. We will see.