Map Lights 2

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I got the map lights that I snagged from an old Cressida wagon installed in the Terc yesterday. Thanks, GTS, for the suggestion on wiring. I took the two windshield pillar trim pieces off, then the molding at the top of the windshield, removed the rear view mirror and bracket, along with both sun visors. This allowed me to drop the headliner enough to work up under it. I made a template of the part of the unit that has to go through the headliner, traced that off onto the headliner, then cut it out with a razor blade/eXacto knife. The bracket holding the lights in the Cressida had been tacked onto one of the roof supports, so it got ripped up a bit where it was tacked when I removed it. Of course, the roof on the Terc is a different design, so I took double-side foam tape and put a few layers on the bracket wherever it would fit , slid the bracket up under the headliner into position, so the light unit screwed nicely into the bracket for a solid, secure mounting. The tape helps keep it in place up against the roof, and cushions it to keep it from rattling. I ran the 12v wire to the 12v on the center dome lamp, grounded to the body at the center dome lamp, and BINGO ! Working map lights !! I know they're not a big deal, but it's a nice little upgrade if you dont' have 'em.....esp. for us old farts that can't read the fine print so good anymore ;)

Here's a link to a few pics:

<a href='http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mootsman5 ... pg&.src=ph' target='_blank'>http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mootsman5 ... .src=ph</a>
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Did that like a pro. Looks good.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Oh you have the daul individually switched map lights, that's really nice. Good job on the installation. I get alot of fun out of doing small things like this, I even went to alot of trouble to get the Tercel original cruise control switch, even though I don't have cruise control!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

hey MootsMan,on behalf of all the "Old Farts" around the World we'd like to say "THANKS!!!" :lol:
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Nice job on the map lights Moots Man! Looks original.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"