PikesPeakInternationalHillClimb, Colorado Springs CO 6/26

Post here about...well...anything!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

PikesPeakInternationalHillClimb, Colorado Springs CO 6/26

Post by SynthDesign »

Hey All,

I'll be attending the 2011 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in Colorado Springs Colorado on June 26th. If you'll be attending I'd love to meet up and talk Tercels and Toyotas. Also if you're local , I'd be great to find out the good spots to eat and play.

Synth
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Re: PikesPeakInternationalHillClimb, Colorado Springs CO 6/

Post by Starbug »

So much envy.....
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

wish i could be there to see the unlimited, or at least run a tercel uphill
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I figured I'd have to go this year. It will be the last year of non-paved road, yep next year 98% of the course will be paved, first time Rhys and Rod Millen will be racing in the same race and also the first year of of a full electric competition class. Kinda the end of an era for me really. I also heard a rumor that there may be a Scion FRS on display too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRDbW98w ... r_embedded
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
heryrg
My tercel:: 1983 SR5

Post by heryrg »

Hey Synth,
I think i'm gonna be there :D Would be cool to meet up, i'm planning to go with family and setup a little bbq or something, if i can find a good spot somewhere.
I live in monument, like 45min away, and since this is the last year of non paved road = gotta go!
I have never been have you or anyone else?
Would be good to find out some more info about race day, i.e. what time to get there, where are the good spots, can i bring bbq and dogs, what to bring, and other good to know general knowledge.
Anybody know?

BTW i'll also be at the parade day, i think friday, if anybody's going. My brothers will be doing karate demos.

*edit* found some info on the website http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc/about/faq
Also, check out Garden of the Gods, really beautiful park; if you go, on garden of the gods road and n chestnut st there is a little french bakery La Baguette check it out, tasty bread and good soup&sandwiches; Chaeyenne mountain zoo, nice mountainside zoo.
If you like indian/good curry try Mirch Masala, they have buffet ~$10 or a bit more upscale dinner is reasonable.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

That would be a fun trip, but I can not afford to take that much time off. would be kind of fun to set up a Tercel4wd "camp". I have always wanted to see that race. There are several list members in Boulder, not too far away, you should all get together.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Petros wrote:That would be a fun trip, but I can not afford to take that much time off. would be kind of fun to set up a Tercel4wd "camp". I have always wanted to see that race. There are several list members in Boulder, not too far away, you should all get together.
It would be fun to go down there for the race! But I can't! I start a new job in Boulder, where I live, ending 8 years (!) of 70 mile per day r/t commutes to Lakewood!

Hey, if you're in the Springs, be sure and take the cog railway up Pikes Peak. It's a real blast!
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
heryrg
My tercel:: 1983 SR5

Post by heryrg »

Hey synth, why you riding in a jeep bro??? Gotta represent. Like my ride??
Nice advertising btw; i'm driving down pikes peak and all of a sudden this dude in a "jeep" :x screams at me "TERCEL4WD.COM TERCEL4WD.COM SYNTHDESIGNER". lol
Cool race though, i wasn't at the dirt part because of the parking control, and cause i was there about hour and a half late.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

@ Heryrg,
We saw you on the way up in the morning and yelled to you as you passed. Had to make sure to represent when I saw you on the way down. As for why I was driving a jeep, well you can't rent a tercel from a rental car company and I wasn't about to beat on my rental Mazda 6 on the mountain so we borrowed a friends jeep. Also good to see at least one Tercel while in Colorado.

We had a great time except for the three and a half hours it took to get off the mountain. I couldn't drive up past mile marker 9, Hey I live at sea level and rarely go above 5,000 ft, so we ended up in between mile marker 8 and 9.

The 2nd S bend ended up being a great spot except for one little incident.

Durring the vintage bike heats, #777 went off course, within a few feet of hittin me at 60 plus MPH in the ditch, before superman'ing across the pavement and landing face first in the parking area. The 2nd close call was where he and his bike landed. A few hours earlier, we had moved the Jeep to be out of the sun, which was where he and his 73 yamaha landed. If we hadn't of moved he would of lawn darted into the side of the jeep. Seriously lucky for both of us. I'm not sure how the racer is but he was unconscious till the ambulance arrived. Kinda a scary incident if you consider the guy was over 70 years old.

Big props for Monster breaking the 10 minute mark and sad story for Rhys Millen who lost his brakes in the 1st of the w's at the top. Rhys had a great run till then.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Starbug
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel 4WD SR5 with 4AC engine swap, original inclinometer, and an original hood ornament :-)

Post by Starbug »

heryrg wrote: ......i'm driving down pikes peak and all of a sudden this dude in a "jeep" :x screams at me "TERCEL4WD.COM TERCEL4WD.COM SYNTHDESIGNER". lol
LOL! :lol:
SynthDesign wrote:
......Durring the vintage bike heats, #777 went off course, within a few feet of hittin me at 60 plus MPH in the ditch, before superman'ing across the pavement and landing face first in the parking area. The 2nd close call was where he and his bike landed. A few hours earlier, we had moved the Jeep to be out of the sun, which was where he and his 73 yamaha landed. If we hadn't of moved he would of lawn darted into the side of the jeep. Seriously lucky for both of us. I'm not sure how the racer is but he was unconscious till the ambulance arrived. Kinda a scary incident if you consider the guy was over 70 years old......
Wow, that's incredible. I hope that racer was ok; faceplanting at 60mph has got to hurt! :shock:
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Finally found the video footage of the accident and got it uploaded on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p02MF5arG98

Still no word on his condition
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Starbug
Top Notch Member

Post by Starbug »

Wow, he's out cold in that video. Probably a good thing, he'd be in a world of hurt if he was conscious. I hope he recovers ok.