It's running!!!!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

It's running!!!!

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

I am going to move the RV so I can get the car to the road. I'll take it around the block for a test drive then make a run to the gas station.

I want to thank everyone who contributed their time and knowledge, I couldn't have done this without you. I am so happy and more then a little proud of myself.
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Re: It's running!!!!

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

OK...perhaps a moral victory only. It still has no power and is running rough. I am so bummed.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

how is it running rough, BBM? does it lack power all the time or just at certain times?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Congrats on getting it back together. Sounds like the low power is something unrelated. Rebuilding the low end (rod bearings) should not affect the power. Go though the normal steps of checking the timing, compression, check for vac leaks, etc. It is very likely you unplugged or changed something that you just forgot to plug back in. If you removed the spark plugs to make the engine easy to rotate, you might just double check you got the spark plug wires on the correct cylinders (I have done that one more than once).

You might want to go purchase an inexpensive mechanical oil pressure gauge (only about $25) and connected it up to where the oil sender light is installed and get a clear picture of the oil pressure too (you have to remove the alternator to get to it).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

The plug wires are correct....I marked them when I took them off. It feels much like it did when the bearings went. No power all the time and it feels rough. I will take it to the auto hobby shop on Wed. And test the compression and get them to check the timing....I did hqave the belt off for the crankshaft seal replacement.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

It is an easy check to see if the cam timing is correct, take off the upper front cover (the plastic part), turn the crank until it is at TDC and inspect the upper cam sproket for alignment with the marks. That is an easy fix.
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

I'll do that tomorrow...it's pouring rain and to be honest I came in and poured myself a few glasses of wine (and cried a little). Tomorrow I'll deal with this, I can't do anymore today.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Check here

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3700

scroll down to my reply
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that's an excellent guide, keith.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Christine,

Another thought occurred to me, since it appears you ran the engine dry of oil, it is possible the cam shaft lobes wore off not allow all of the valves to open, or not open all the way. This is not common but it can happen in these conditions. It is fairly easy to fix too.

Inspect for damage by taking the valve cover off and inspect each of the rocker arms where they contact the cam shaft. they should be all smooth and shinny. If the lobes wore off they will be all galled and ugly. You can also crank the engine while you watch the rockers, they should all go up and down the same amount (there are ways of measuring the valve lift with a dial indicator, but all you are trying to see if you have lift at all). When they gall and start transferring metal, it only takes a few minutes of running to wear the lobe down to nothing. The fix is to replace the cam shaft and rocker arm assembly, these you can get cheap at the wrecking yard (off any 3ac equipped car).

If everything with a valve train appears normal, with high even lift on each valve, than your problem is elsewhere and do not bother with the cam shaft for now.

Since you are in Tacoma, you can go to Delta cams and get a performance regrind cam for about $60 exchange. Or just go with a cheap stock cam shaft from the wrecking yard.

Good luck.