How to remove the instrument control panel?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Re: How to remove the instrument control panel?

Post by hberdan »

toughtercel wrote:question to "hberdan " is YES i replace light bulb without taking controller out BUT i just remove screws to move the the controller outward just enough get my hand in the back , done them twice , best do it outside on nice sunny day to see better and size of my hand is meduim (short finger) like girl size , my wife's and daughter's have same size hand as my hand

Thanks very much. I will try to do it as soon as the weather allows.
"I'm high on the real thing: Powerful gasoline, a clean windshield, and a shoeshine."
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

tom mentioned i should add this info to this thread since it is pertinent:

oh geez tom, i just looked at that thread and it looks like everyone was accessing the lightbulb from the rear. if the light is all i'm doing then i just remove the dash trim from around the controls, pull the plastic handle-things off the levers, and use a screwdriver to pop the front panel out. then you can just pull the bulb out, replace it, and put it all back together. it's a 10 minute job at the most and you don't have to fiddle around in behind everything, trying to unscrew the bulb or whatever.
grantmi1
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel Wagon 4x4. Mint condition

Post by grantmi1 »

I have bent my heater control cable pretty badly, lets say it was a bad night. Anyone know where I can find a new one or if there are shops that fix them?

I searched on this site and accidentally ordered the wrong one. Turns out for the different years and makes of Toyota the part numbers starts with the same number 55907A. I ordered one that was meant for a Toyota truck.

See linked picture. http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/ima ... EC189B.jpg

From this page - http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/sho ... gory=21649

Also seen on this page which shows unavailable. http://www.toyomotorparts.com/component ... 10088.html
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

hey grantmi1. i guess you mean you bent the heat selection arm? that's pretty common. if it's not broken, the easiest thing to do is remove the controls and use needle nose pliers to straighten the arm. then lube the hell out of the cables. i've had good results dribbling 3-in-1 (or whatever generic lightweight household oil) down each end of the cables and working them back and forth. some controls have been almost stuck solid but this has freed them right up.

if the arm or cable is broken, the cheapest bet would be to go to a wrecker and grab it. i might even have what you need. you would just have to pay for shipping, which wouldn't be much.
Last edited by dlb on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grantmi1
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel Wagon 4x4. Mint condition

Post by grantmi1 »

I am talking about the cable that goes from the heat control to the water control valve. You can see the longer control cable in the drawing with part number 55907A. If you have the cable I would be interested. The end of the cable that connects to the control arm is bent enough that I don't think it can be repaired. I am planning on pulling it and going to local junk yard to see if they have something similar. I often find that these cars and parts for them are hard to come by as they usually don't have any Tercels in the yard. There is a local yard that lists they do have a car so I am going to go take a look tomorrow.

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/ima ... EC189B.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply!!

dlb wrote:hey grantmi1. i guess you mean you bent the heat selection arm? that's pretty come. if it's not broken, the easiest thing to do is remove the controls and use needle nose pliers to straighten the arm. then lube the hell out of the cables. i've had good results dribbling 3-in-1 (or whatever generic lightweight household oil) down each end of the cables and working them back and forth. some controls have been almost stuck solid but this has freed them right up.

if the arm or cable is broken, the cheapest bet would be to go to a wrecker and grab it. i might even have what you need. you would just have to pay for shipping, which wouldn't be much.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i'll try to take a look when i get home tomorrow. if you don't find one at a wrecker, send me a PM to remind me to check.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Off-topic... But after 6 years I finally ripped out my first control panel! It was not much fun...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"