Leaking trsnsmission (still)

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Leaking trsnsmission (still)

Post by dlb »

just replacing my passenger side CV seal and want to find the required depth of the seal. i've looked in the FSM in the front drive axle, manual transmission, and manual transaxle sections but can't see any info on the seal. the FSM mentions it in the transaxle troubleshooting section and refers you to pages MT-66 and -70 but there's no mention of the oil seal on either page. i worry that
Trev wrote:and slid the new one in and pushed it as far back as it would go until it hit the retaining piece of metal.
is not the correct seating for the seal, and didn't take care to notice the depth of the seal when i removed the old one a few days ago. can someone tell me the required depth or point me to the correct page in the FSM?

thanks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

It's NEEDLESSLY (!) buried in the Differential section of the MT info - look on MT-86, item 15. There is a drawing with dimensions.
Be sure to grease the diff and seal for easier installation.
The first time I installed one, I made a tool from PVC pipe and marked the depth on the o/s of the pipe. The second time, I made a better tool from a short piece of plumbing pipe - had to reduce the ID a bit by cautious grinding and then following up with emery cloth. See http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... eal#p34235 (links therein).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

omg, how did you ever find that?? thanks tom, i would have been at a loss. took me two tries but i seem to have got it. i used the 30 mm socket required for the CV nut to tap in the seal. it fit snugly on the inside lip of the seal. to measure the depth, i simply marked the end of a zip-tie at (roughly) 8.4-9 mm and slid it in so the tip rested on the outer edge of the seal. tapped the seal in until the mark was even with differential lip. it's an imperfect method, obv, and i thought i may have been a tiny bit shallow the first time. after a quick drive it was dripping quite quickly so i made another more accurate measuring stick, took it apart again, and re-checked. it looked like it was at out at least 1 mm too far so i tapped it in again and drove to work. no leak right now but i'll keep my eyes on it for a few days.

on the plus side, this seal was way easier to tap in than the tailshaft housing seal. and i've gotten pretty darn quick at taking a CV out.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i spoke too soon. i've tried three times and have had no success putting the CV seal in. it usually stays dry for the first 10 minutes of driving but after another 10 minutes it starts to leak very slowly, and after another 10 minutes, it drips quickly. i've measured as accurately as possible and seem to have the seal in at the correct depth (8.4-9 mm) and have made sure it is seated evenly. i have felt for scoring in the trans where the seal sits and it is smooth. i don't believe the trans is simply overfilled with oil because this is the only seal that is leaking. does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next, besides just trying again? i'm inclined to reinspect for scoring and try pushing the seal in just a bit further.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

is the land where the seal rides on the axle in good shape? Polish the place the seal runs on the axle with 800 grit wet and dry, or fine scotch-brite pad. Or if the axle stub has a lot of play in it (sloppy splines), it can damage the seal after just a few miles of driving, this means you have to replace the axle. Bad bearings in the front diff will have the same effect, but that means a major repair.

You might see if you can find a different brand of seal if everything else checks out okay.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

i will check the inner end of the CV and sand it like you mention. it doesn't have any play in it. will bad bearings in the diff have some other symptoms? i've noticed nothing else wrong besides this pesky drip.

thanks peter.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if there is no bearing noise (grinding, whine or roaring at speed), and there is no play, your bearings are likely just fine. Did not mean to frighten you about your bearing, but you will usually get a load whine or roar before there is enough play to damage the seal. So there will be other symptoms.

I have had corroded, pitted or worn axles wipe out new seals. If there was a lot of grit in the sealing area you can wear a groove in the long run in the rotating part where the seal lip rubs against it. You usually can sand it out with fine wet and dry paper so it preserves the sealing lip of the seal (it does not have to be perfect, but it should be smooth). When you install the axle into the new seal I would also put some grease or gear oil on it before you insert the axle, lowers your risk of damaging the lip of the new seal when you put it together. I have done that too, more than once. :oops:
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)