so im starting a new project

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

so im starting a new project

Post by shogun »

well a couple of days ago i got sick of seeing one of my spare engines in the side of the shop so i decided to do something about it, plus i think if the money is ok i want to do a restore to my car

to begin with i had a birthday present from myself
they are bilstein hd, all mixed and matched for the springs im going to use

so i took the engine and tore it appart

in this build im trying for the most power i can get so im doing every trick in the book i know of, first of im doing a crank scraper/windage tray so i meassured twice and cut once to get started on the mod

a couple of hours later im done getting the meassurements for the scraper and windage tray

now i just have to put it in a cad drawing and have it cnc plasma cut

so today not much going on, so i decided to get a little bit of weight off the flywheel

and here it is ready to go get balanced and resurfaced, i just took off 3.5 pounds
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Re: so im starting a new project

Post by shogun »

next up is a little blueprinting, head porting i have 2 32 36 and a dual carb manifold so i maybe going crazy on this one, maybe bike carbs i have a 36mm set coming over next week, only time will tell im doing lightweight pullies again so i may be giving away my old one
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

some pictures of the good ol days

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Boy - you (and many others) just amaze me...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Looks like a fun project. If you are doing everything you can to get more power, junk the 3ac and go for a 4age. Much more power and much less cost by the time you are done. A lot more performance parts available too. Why not at least go for a 4ac? BTW, while all important, none of the stuff you listed will give you more power. While you are at it, try and get a few more lbs off that flywheel, it is still way too heavy for your purposes. I got one down to about 14lb (5 lbs off), Synth is using a very similar one in his car.

Where did you get a duel carb manifold for a 3ac? What kind of carbs are you going to run?

I do not know in what class it will run, but I can never see it out performing a CRX, especially like the one in the picture. You are too heavy, the CG is just too high with the engine over the front diff, and the front suspension is not exactly "race proven". You might look for a local autocross or proralley to run it, that is where the 4wd feature would be a big advantage. Where are you located?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i built the crx in the picture, and racing down hill i did out drive him a couple of times. Im doing a 3ac because i have 4 laying around, just doing mild head work and exhaust tuning gave me 72 whp i cant remember how much torque, this was a long time ago. The dual carb manifold came from one of the 3asu i have laying around, this motor to be exact is a 3ascv, it has a valve in the intake port that is actuated by vacum, im not going to do anything to it just clean it and put it away.

As for the carbs, im doing yamaha 750 carbs they are 36mm ill fab me a intake manifold, that is if i can get flat pistons; the headwork is going to be as follows:
ill raise the intake ports, and hog them out, race port, weld the combustion chamber and reshape it, ive got a cnc so it shouldnt be that much work to get right. Going to make everything lighter, pistons rods crank flywheel crank pulley ( i currently have my race one in the car that weights 194 grams).

If i dont find the pistons im looking for, then ill start on a plenum for the carbs and go boost i have a couple of turbos laying around and do a proper turbo manifold, ive been getting by with the 3asu ehxaust manifold and tuned secondaries but i guess it is time to get the best street car i can get. Im not racing anymore, it is just to see how far i can get, im doing a baseline dyno test as soon as i put this engine on after a couple of miles and see what happens from there.

ps, i have a n2+ engine here but it is too much and too delicate for street use, i will be using the arp hardware i have for the spares of said engine, my dad uses the car so its just to get it to be fun again for him

pss. im located in Guatemala
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

that's awesome shogun, very ambitious. keep us posted!
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i scored a first gen 4age crank and eagle rods, tomorrow im going to go check them out, they come with arp 2000 hardware, so ill have to redo the scraper if its all good, found my trd oil pump for the 4ac so i hope it bolts on if not ill port and shim the oem one
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i tried the trd pump on the block, and fits perfectly, also the plastic fits just needs a little trim :twisted:
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Nice work. I'm about in the same boat with 3 or 4 3ACs, 2 4ACs and 4 4AGEs and a slew of 2TC/3TC blocks. No idea really whats gonna happen to the engines but they do take a lot of space.

Would it be easier just to salvage a windage tray from a 4AGE? You've spent a lot of work so I'm guessing you know what's up. Just curios.
1st gen 4AGE crank?? Elaborate. All the 4AGE cranks I have use a diffident diameter main journal and/or connecting rod diameter than the 3ACs I have around. Are you gonna round down the mains to fit in a 3AC?

Also great pics!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
westernflyer
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel

Post by westernflyer »

Glad to see the 3a engine getting the respect it deserves! What a build.
1983 Tercel 4dr hbk (daily driver)
1985 Tercel hbk bush buggy (in progress)
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

well after a little meassuring, the mains are the same diameter as the 3ac but it is only for the first 3 years of the 4ag. I would use the windage tray of a 4ag if i could find one i would just do de scraper in ptfe. Returning to the 4ag stuff in the 3ac im going to have to use crank and rods and do a bushing in the small end because the 3ac pistons have a smaller diameter pin, and also im doing all this work because its mostly stuff i have laying around and well i own a machine shop so its basically free, ill be porting the oilpump later in the afternoon ill show you guys some pictures
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Ok, so the crank is out of a 3 rib 4A-GE block... It's still 8 bolt right? There has been massive talk through different forums of 6 bolt cranks as show in the FSM, but I was told it was a diagram error. If it's 6 you gotta post a picture!
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

afaik it is a 8 bolt crank, that is why i dont want to cut into the flywheel anymore ive been trying some 4ag parts in the 3a, there is a 4ag head laying around ill see what else fits, not that the 3a isnt robust enough but 4ag parts are tougher, just the oilpump the gears are about an eight of an inch thicker, which gives better oil flow
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

go see the thread on the 4age swap, you will need to either alter the TErcel flywheel so it has eight bolts, or make a custom flywheel. It is more difficult than it might appear to make the Tercel flywheel fit on the 4age crank. You have to heat the flywheel up to dull red, weld up 4 of the 6 holes, after it cools machine is smooth and than drill for the 8 bolt configuration.

The 4afe crank MAY fit into the 3ac block, which has the same six bolt configuration as the Tercel. I actually fitted a 3ac flywheel on to the back of a 4afe engine to verify it fits. I am fairly certain the 4afe crank is similar to the 4age, except the six vs. eight bolt flywheel.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)