87 tercel sr5

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
sgtpittman
My tercel:: 87 sr5 tercel

87 tercel sr5

Post by sgtpittman »

For sale, I have a 1987 toyota tercel sr5 4wd with the 1.5l , that has a blown head gasket, this thing is in really really good shape.it needs a good bath but is in great shape and im asking $750 for it. if you are interested contact me with a reply. the car still runs just gets hot after about ten miles. thanks sgtpittman
Attachments
Toyota 6.jpg
Toyota 1.jpg
Toyota 5.jpg
Toyota 2.jpg
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 87 tercel sr5

Post by dlb »

where are you located? that looks like DLX trim, not SR5.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

How many miles are on it? If the head gasket is blown, is the radiator also shot? That is the typical condition, radiator goes bad and it overheats, then the head gasket goes. So there may be more to replace than just a head gasket.

How old is the clutch? Condition of the tires? How long as it been since it was regularly driven.

That is clearly not an SR5 but the DLX trim.

That price is on the high side for a Tercel that needs major engine work, so unless the rest of it is in excellent shape it is difficult to say if this is worth buying. You need to supply more information, radiator, clutch, tires, possibly battery are all major expenses on top of requiring a new head gasket.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
deejay1272
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Navy Blue Tercel Wagon SR5 4x4 now with Weber 32/36!

Post by deejay1272 »

I've been talking to Ken, the owner, about this wagon (located in Pendleton, OR).

Here's what I have learned that is not listed in the ad:

Approx. 187k miles
Title is in PO name, but has not been completed, so the DMV transaction should be straightforward
Runs, but very rough

You guys bring up good points about the clutch, radiator, etc. These things may influence the final price.

I thought long and hard about buying this one, but logistically it would be difficult for me because I don't feel confident enough in my abilities to pull up, repair and drive off with the vehicle in < 1 day. This could be a great project for other members on the forum, so I encouraged Ken to post his car here.
---------------------------------------------------------
Beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm dry
Greenbacks when I'm hard up, heaven when I die
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

i love the colour and really prefer how the DLX models door window frames are not painted with that heinous black sh*t that the SR5's have. looks sharper and you don't have to worry about that crap flaking off in some places and being hard as cement in others. i'd take a DLX and put in the SR5 seats and dash cluster.