Looking for Tercel

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Thereminator wrote: Jerry,Im from San Diego and sometimes I see good deals on 4x Tercels.I went to your member info~area to find your gen. location and it wasnt there,so I decided "screw~it".If anyone is not willing to make the effort of listing there "general" location...then Im not willing to help them find parts or cars as it were,because of the required "footwork" involved,pending on distance. :)
Thereminator:

Sorry that you're not willing to help. I hope you change your mind - while San Diego is a few hours of Bakersfield, it's not an insurmountable distance to travel for the right vehicle.

True, I didn't post my location in my profile (which was an oversight on my part that I corrected this morning). However, if you look through this thread... You'll see that I posted my location twice previously - three times if you count this. B) You point is obviously well taken - it's hard to help someone if you don't know where they're located. I certainly didn't intend for that to be the case.

Everyone: Have a happy and safe new year! All the best to you and your families.

Jerry
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA
Owner of a rusty '84 Terc SR5 4WD
251,000+ miles, original engine, second transmission.

Transmission soon to GRENADE!
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

3AC:

That is a good idea, tercel4wdrules mentioned that earlier on in this thread. I was able to find / test drive one in the Goleta, CA area. (I'm a manager in a surgical practice that has offices here in Bakersfield and in Ventura, CA... Making Goleta about a 30-45 minute drive from when I'm over on the coast).

That's the one I test drove, ran very good(and recently passed smog, a big bonus in our tree huggin' state), but had rust on the roof and front windshield frame. I'd prefer to spend more on a cleaner vehicle, but we'll see...

At any rate - I'd rather someone point a source out than my overlook it. In fact, I'll take another look at craigslist here in a bit. Thank you for your help. :)

Jerry
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Jerry,Im glad my point was well-taken.For the reasons given,it will effect the future "health" of this site and all invoved.In any event...its not the first time Ive mentioned it and it wont be the last. ;) I grew~up in the Santa Barbara~Santa Ynez area and after "dealing" with the L.A. like traffic down~here,I miss that area more and more...if I see an exceptional deal I'll let-you-know. :) Alan
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Too bad that the '84 was in sort of good mechanical shape, but the body had more rust than the picture showed. When I was in Washington about a week ago I saw a 83-84 SR5 in exceptional shape. The paint was shiny, it had different rims, but the emblems and grille, etc were in excellent from I was able to see (about 8 sec.). Never had I seen a 83-84 in that shape, looked practically brand new.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

I ended up buying the '84 I looked at in Goleta... The one with the rust areas. The guy I bought it from was very generous and gave me an awesome deal on the car ($200), it runs good (I drove it about 130 miles home last night, through heavy rain and through some mountains) and seems like it'll be pretty reliable.

If you'd like to see some pictures:
<a href='http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/car/50747456.html' target='_blank'>http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/car/50747456.html</a>

I'll deal with the rust areas as best I can... But am glad to have a nice little car to drive around in, especially with gas prices the way they are in CA :)
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

From the pics, it looks like you got a deal, Jerry. $200, and an SR5 to boot. How many miles on it ?? Hope the rust isn't a major problem....didnt' look all that bad in the pics.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Thanks, MootsMan.

It's got 235k on it, but the trans was replaced a while back. The guy put a cat on it too to get it to pass smog - I saw the smog paperwork and it passed with flying colors.

Yes, it's an SR5 with air conditioning, rear wiper and a working sunroof (which sprung a leak on the way home). Anybody know a good source for weatherstripping?
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Other than a few more miles...you got a better deal than I did. If you use some oil on it in the fall...you can stop the rust problem.

I'd make sure the trans has 4 qts of oil in it though. Repalce the rad hoses?

<a href='http://www.carparts.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.carparts.com/</a> Same as JCWhitney...they have a bunch of generic weatherstipping. Have them send their free paper catalog. Shipping might be a bit much to Cal...but not for weatherstripping.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Jerry
Advanced Member

Post by Jerry »

Thanks, Takza. I revealed my purchase price to keep you guys informed as to what they're going for. I do feel that I got a very good deal (especially since it has a new cat (about a year old), and he paid to get it smogged as well. I'm grateful to the guy who sold me the car for giving me a good deal.

I didn't know that carparts.com was associated with JC whitney, so thanks for the education. I was looking through JC's normal catalog last night, didn't see anything that jumped out at me.

The car has been parked outside, so I do also need to check and make sure any drain holes are not plugged... Looks like the rain is letting up, so I can take a look at it.

To solve the rust problem... I doubt I'm ever going to get all of it, as it was a coastal car (salty air), but I am going to hit the rust spots with POR-15 and then primer over it. It's not going to win any beauty contests, anyway. :)
Jerry
Bakersfield, CA