Diesel swap and restoration progress

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Re: Diesel swap and restoration progress

Post by CathodeRayTube »

The 1N-T has been ordered. will be yet another month and a half for that to get here...and I may have located somebody with an older Toyota half-ton pickup who would be interested in the 2C-T.

I also managed to contact one of the gentlemen who successfully converted a newer tercel to the 1N-T and got lots of useful pictures that seem to prove it will bolt in to our oddball trannys. even if its not perfect, it will be much easier to adapt in than the 2CT.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Update today: The 2C-T has been sold. Even made a nice profit. The 1N-T was ordered approx 2 weeks ago, and should be here by years end. Mundane tasks im hoping to complete before it gets here are the final design for the fuel tank, getting a storage/filter setup for vegitable oil worked out and working out plans for other various things.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Glad to hear the other engine wasn't a monetary burden. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with and best of luck with this swap!

So what did the the 2C-T end up being out of? I thought those came in JDM early Camrys and Corollas.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

The 2C-T had most likely come out of a Toyota Van/lite ace. It was actually an RWD layout so the coolant lines & exhaust all come out at the right places for use in our cars...thats largly why i had picked it. but the 1N-Ts exhaust is in the same place as the 3A also so the coolant lines shouldnt be much trouble. The 1N-T is going to be coming from an actual early 90s Tercel i believe. Even if the engine bolt patter isnt a perfect match, the flywheel looks like it is definitly the correct size for the T4s bellhousing, so it will be much easier to adapt in even if it isnt a perfect match...but i have a good feeling that it will bolt right up with minimal issues. Both engines as well as my spare tranny with 50k on it came from a JDM import company in CA.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
mytercel

Post by mytercel »

Hi - any news on this project? I'm interested in how this goes and there's been no news in a while.
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Somebody else had asked me for an update on this via PM a few days ago, I suppose it is overdue. But there is no significant news, I am still waiting for the 1N-T to arrive...it is half paid for, & should be here soon...il probably send STC an email tomorrow asking for a status update on where the engine is. I have been refining plans for the custom fuel tank, picking out other parts and otherwise thinking about all the other systems involved with the restoration. I was going to pick out a nice Oak board to use for the spoiler one of these days, and perhaps start on that. Theres not much i can do til the engine gets here. Starting & driving the 2nd automatic T4WD around the yard/farm roads every couple weeks to keep it in shape til i get around to restoring it also...the 81 diesel VW rabbit, wich was largely the inspiration for this project, started up yesterday on the first try with no issues in sub-freezing temps.

Other non-car related updates include: a couple successful job interviews for actual work, a recent surge of business with my freelance PC repair jobs, winter holidays went fairly smoothly, got my CompTIA A+ certification back on december 21st, Still living at home, I plan to start running again everyday soon but the cold weather has been keeping me from it...and of course with valentines day looming only 45 minutes away...I am still single.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

CathodeRayTube wrote:...and of course with valentines day looming only 45 minutes away...I am still single.
I am sure a restored, and diesel powered, Tercel4wd would help remedy that, huh? :wink:

Good luck with the job interviews.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Actually I think it probably would. But i have to finish it so i can really show it off/brag about it.

I emailed the import Co. and they informed me that there people in japan sent them the wrong engine and had to re order it from there. they said mine will be on shore in CA in 2 weeks...so probably about 3 weeks yet til i get it. what can you do...

also, today i ordered the power steering rack from rockauto and got a notification that it was shipped a few hours later...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Updates. The 1NT Is in transit from CA to my home here and should be here this week and is now fully paid for...The container arrived from japan just in the nick of time..and was not affected by the earthquakes or radiation issues. However importing anything else from japan using the supplier/methods i have been using, may be much more difficult or impossible in the future because of the devastation. The power steering rack i ordered from RA got here, and it appears it should just be a painless swap...no need to change the front cross member as i had originally thought. Purchased the solid Oak board that i am planning to craft into the rear spoiler, and sectioned it into the 4 chunks that will make up the pillars.

And also worth mentioning alltho not so relevant to THIS project... There will be yet another vehicle added my my collection of oddball 80s-era cars very soon. Yesterday i put a deposite down on a 1990 YUGO GV+, garage kept, in mint condition, only 26K on it. $1500. The plan is to make it very nice inside and also fix up the 2nd T4W automatic i have, and then sell the 92 Corolla wagon once the yugo & 2nd tercel are on the road.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Perhaps you should check the engine over for residual radiation, just in case.

Why are you using wood to make a spoiler? What design do you have in mind? I made one out of black ABS plastic, no need to finish it.

I do not remember the Yugo as anything to get excited about, is there something special about the GV model? Or you just want something different to drive around?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

CathodeRayTube wrote: Yesterday i put a deposite down on a 1990 YUGO GV+, garage kept, in mint condition, only 26K on it. $1500.
26k might not sound like much, but that is high miles on a Yugo! Haven't seen a mint one since they were still new. Last had one in my bay about 15 years ago. I don't know who had more character, the car or it's owner? Haven't seen one since. Might want to keep that one in the garage in order to retain value. They fall apart in record time during normal use. Even makes daewoo look good! A T4 is aerospace grade compared to it. Ok, enough bashing. Never mind me, go ahead and enjoy it.

Hope this next engine does the trick!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Personally, I dig the idea of a wood spoiler. It's say's I'm green and handy.

Glad this project is still pushing forward :)
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

This wont be a wood spoiler like you see in the joke pictures floating around cyberspace...this is going to be all hardwood, heavily sanded and sealed, and then painted with multiple layers of the same black paint as whats on the body...it will look like its made of fiberglass. The style is of course going to be non-functional...just for decoration...but my avatar is a very accurate idia of what the front view will look like...kinda like the spoilers on newer subarus...or moreso like the one on the A-Team van...except this will be sharper and have 4 pillars instead of 2..

As for radiation...again it was at the port in CA before the disaster struck, so theres no way it could be irradiated...and im also not about to buy a geiger counter so i guess il take a chance...

As for the yugo...its mine now..but still sitting in the garage where its been for its entire life...we deduced the fuel pump is seized up from sitting..and thats why it wouldnt start and why its not here...but thats simple and il get it down here via a trailer day after tomorrow. Im also aware of all of the criticism the yugo has...and frankly i dont believe most of it and think most of the horrer stories are results of user-neglect and carelessness. Im also considering it a personal challange to keep it running perfectly and to disprove the bad reputations. I also like this car for some of the same reasons as the tercel...(tercel is still favorite tho)...its old, its ugly, and was an oddball...and is very square/sharp..
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

just looked up yugos to see what all the fuss was about. looks like a bigger version of a VW rabbit to me. or a subaru justy. i'm not psyched on it myself but understand the draw is similar to the draw to tercels. post some pics of it sometime!
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

I should probably start a paralell thread for the yugo in a more appropriate catagory, and post some pics of it tonight...unfortunately i cant find any online clubs associated with it like this one and the VW and Toyota-Diesel sites im also on...so il keep this mostly about the T4W...

So that being said...im sorry to inform everybody that my flagship project is once again held up...(but not canceled!)...last night i got another email from STC...somebody F'd up AGAIN and sent the wrong engine from Japan AGAIN...this time the station in California received a 1N-T set up for an auto tranny...vs the manual one i ordered...all tho im unsure there is any significant difference between an engine that was used with a manual vs an auto apart from the flywheel/clutch/torquecon assemblies...so i asked Jesus to take pictures of the one thats already here...and if that wont work for whatever reason then il just keep waiting. It will be another month, but my gut tells me atleast 6 weeks...The actual email i recieved is below:

Hello Bryan, first of all I apologize for all the inconvenience, as I told
you on the last mail that we had received your engine here last week. Since
we were very busy and short of personal, we did not have time to unloaded
from container. Finally they did but now we have another problem, this one
came but with the automatic transmission. And I know you that you wanted
with 5spd that's what we order since the beginning, unfortunately someone
made a mistake in Japan.

Today we spoke to them and confirm that the have a 1N-T with 5 spd. They
will rush on the shipping, and try to get it here whiting 30 days.
Please let me know if still ok for you or can't wait anymore to get you a
refund.

Jesus Salinas
Soshin Trade Corporation
2440 Firestone Blvd.
South Gate, CA 90280

I also do now have a legitimate concern over radiation since the new-new-new engine will be coming from post-disaster Japan...wich i also asked him about...

If it is going to keep taking longer i may just go ahead with everything else like painting and interior work etc...actually replace the rocker panels with galvanized plate on the drivers side like i did the pass side even tho the driver side doesnt really need replaced...
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+