REAR SUSPENSION OE NUMBERS & SOURCING

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

REAR SUSPENSION OE NUMBERS & SOURCING

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This is a list of the OE part numbers, as obtained from Butler Toy September 2010.
The first price is regular OE retail - the second is Butler's. Note that all are quite competitive with AM parts and better than other Toy dealers.
90385-11021.....Stabilizer bushings.......1.91.....2 @...1.43.......2.86....(front of sway bar to bottom of "links")
90560-10275.....Spacer for above.........2.72.....2 @...2.04.......4.08....(metal sleeve inside bushings)
48817-12010.....Cushion....................2.89.....4 @...2.17.......8.68....(front of sway bar from "links" to body)
48815-20021.....Bushing-bar to axle......9.15.....2 @....6.86.....13.72
48706-14010.....Bushing-rod to body....25.75.....1 @...19.31.....19.31....(Panhard rod to body mount)
90385-20001.....Bushing-rod to axle......2.60.....2 @....1.95.......3.90
90386-20001.....Internal bushing-↑↑......5.72.....1 @....4.29.......4.29

Total USD 56.84 for Butler OE parts vs. USD 75.79 regular OE pricing.
Ordered 0924 - Butler received from warehouse and shipped 0927 - received 0929.

NOTE - the upper and lower control arms do not have replaceable bushings (well, they are not listed anywhere) - only complete control arms are shown - but they are still available. Don't choke on the prices...
48710-16050.....Upper arms.....139 each - Butler's price 2 @ $ 93 - Total USD 186
48720-16030.....Lower arms.....195 each - Butler's price 2 @ $131 - Total USD 262
> > Only the replacement of the complete arms is covered in the FSM and not their bushings, so apparently they never were available individually - wonder why? Also wonder if something else could be adapted if necessary - any ideas?

NOTE ALSO - all of the above bushings and arms are the same as for RWD Corollas of similar vintage.
Tom M.

EDIT: NOTE ALSO that I did not order any of the myriad of washers and threaded fasteners - I just cleaned up the OE
...........items and painted them.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: REAR SUSPENSION OE NUMBERS & SOURCING

Post by 4wdchico »

Thanks Tom, very helpful.

$448 for rear control arms, ouch! The TRD rear control arm bushing is still available (TRD Japan p/n is 48702-AE851, not available from TRD USA) for the ae86 rwd corolla would be a great way to go as they are rubber but stiffer than stock. Had a full set of the TRD perf bushings in one of my ae86 corollas back in the day & they are sweet. Urethane bushings for the rear control arms are easy to get from at least three mfr's but I would prefer to have rubber bushings. Cusco also has some stiffer rubber rear control arm bushings, also still available. Either way, TRD or Cusco, a set of eight of these bushings should run a little over $200 before shipping.

Supposedly, any US 'yota dealer can order TRD Japan parts if they are motivated to do so. Since you do a lot w/ Butler Toyota could you see if they could get some of these bushings for us? I'm looking into other options at sourcing this stuff & will report back on this thread as things develop.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OK - I got an answer from Dan at Butler about the TRD bushings - pasted below.
Tom,
What I found out about the Japanese TRD..... The only way I can get those bushings is to supply Toyota with proof of registration of a specific vehicle, the VIN and all of the personal info.
Then they can petition Toyota to add particular part #'s to the American market.
Once that is all done, I can get pricing and availability. This process can take months, I am told.
Then they have to verify the part #'s and check for availability. Historically, Toyota discontinues parts after 4-5 years, depending on the model and popularity of the part.
I am willing to do that for you, but I don't have any idea that we will come out ahead in the end, I just have no way of knowing. According to all Toyota and TRD catalogs, they don't offer those bushings in America at all. They only list complete control arms, like we already knew. Not sure of any aftermarket companies that would offer just the bushings. I hope some of this helped.
Dan

4wdchico - I had sent Dan a copy-and-paste of your original post here. Hope this helps.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The Tercel4wd rear axle is the same one in the RWD corollas, and "eye balling" the RWD GTS corolla, and the Celica GT, they appear to use the same axle and rear mounts (note: the Celica GTS has IRS, but not the other models).

There are a lot of aftermarket performance suspension kits for the RWD Corolla and Celicas, so it seems we should be able to get bushing kits that will work in the Tercel4wd. When I am ready to upgrade the rear suspension on mine I was going to look into this. Perhaps the next time I go to the wrecking yard I will take some calipers and take notes on what size bushings is on these other cars. With accurate dimensions from the T4wd rear end i am sure there are aftermarket performance bushing manufacturers that can match what we want to replace.

I learned at the Puget Sound Toyota Owners meet that often Toyota will use different part numbers on interchangeable parts from other models cars because they did not want people swapping "unauthorized" parts into their cars. The responce from Butler above confirms the companies unreasonable control over what Toyota owners do to their own cars. You can forget support from the factory for upgrading our cars, as if the pathetic brakes, underpowered engines and skinny tires that came on these little cars are really the best available alternative.

So we are on our own when it comes to improvements, but with some experimenting and resourcefulness we can thwart the best efforts of Toyota force us to drive stock Tercels!!!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

this link has replacement adjust upper control arm links, and adjustable panhard rod assemblies with urethane bushings, for the AE86 rwd corolla, should fit the Tercel4wd (better verify first). Pretty slick:

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/toyota_corner.html

This link has corolla rear axle bushings:

http://store.powerflexusa.com/corolla-a ... -p108.aspx

This link to a mailing list with someone selling complete "Prothane" brand bushing kits for only $90:
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=77241

Another link to a company making replacement adjustable rear axle trailing links:

http://www.kgsengineering.com/product_i ... s_id=21910
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

I just ordered a set of the 8 TRD rear control arm bushings & TRD bushings for both ends of the panhard rod also.
Cost me with shipping about $220 including shipping. They are rubber bushings & they are stiffer and longer lasting than the stock bushings.

Did a bunch of research on the idea of putting urethane bushings in both ends of the control arms and it just reaffirmed my feelings that it was not a good idea. Binding of the rear squish when articulating is very likely.

The parts guy that I dealt with is open to a group buy on more of this stuff. If anyone else wants to go this route, I will pass the info on.

As soon as possible, I will install the bushings and give a report. It will be about a month at least, as I'm nursing a broken arm at the moment...
Last edited by 4wdchico on Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OUCH on the arm! :shock:______Been there, hated that.

Well - this will be very interesting, as Arte used to say... I'm just tonight/tomorrow completing my rear bushings/shocks installation (if the rain holds off). Installing the bushings for the front control arms was a piece of cake, compared to installing the bushing for the Panhard rod - per FSM, installed without lube, unlike front arms.
I'm really awaiting your info - and how hard it was to install the bushings, as this is an unknown area to the FSM.

What was the cost of the 8 control arm bushings alone (I have the OE Panhard stuff)?
While not mentioned, did you get the sway bar bushings as well?
Even some the ricer/performance folks do not recommend urethane bushings for street use, so your decision there seems pretty prudent.
Thanks.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

ARCHINSTL wrote:OUCH on the arm! :shock:______Been there, hated that.

Well - this will be very interesting, as Arte used to say... I'm just tonight/tomorrow completing my rear bushings/shocks installation (if the rain holds off). Installing the bushings for the front control arms was a piece of cake, compared to installing the bushing for the Panhard rod - per FSM, installed without lube, unlike front arms.
I'm really waiting your info - and how hard it was to install the bushings, as this is an unknown area to the FSM.

What was the cost of the 8 control arm bushings alone (I have the OE Panhard stuff)?
While not mentioned, did you get the sway bar bushings as well?
Even some the ricer/performance folks do not recommend urethane bushings for street use, so your decision there seems pretty prudent.
Thanks.
Tom M.
$184/set=8 bushings @ $23 each. TRD Japan lists this part (# 48702-AE851) at 2.300 yen/each. That converts to $224.23 for eight. The parts rep that I dealt with gave me a bit of a deal as this was overstock. He thought that he could match the price I got for a group buy. He also said expect a two to three month wait to order from TRD.

You have to get the OE rear swaybar to axle D-bushes if you want rubber as TRD does not have a fitment for our bar diameter. Mine are OE & were new about 12k miles ago. Sourcing a set of poly rear swaybar D-bushes might be a good call for that location if off road articulation was less a priority than twisty road manners for a given driver & load. I am however, going to get the TRD rear swaybar to clevis bushes & the clevis rod to body bushes also. Only two sets (4 pieces) of the clevis rod to body bushes are needed, but I am going to order 4 sets as the extras can be used to replace and extra firm up the no longer available stock hydro engine torque strut mounting ends.

The TRD Japan page for their parts for the ae86: http://www.trdparts.jp/english/list_ae86.html
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

4wdChico,

Did you verify that the control arm bushings are the same dia as for the Tercel4wd? Since our rear axle is the same as the RWD corolla I would not expect any difference, but I thought I would check before I ordered them. This is something I should do. I really like those adjustable rear arms though, they come with the PU bush, which is not a good idea for street as you point out.

We expect a full report on the improvement.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

Petros wrote:4wdChico,

Did you verify that the control arm bushings are the same dia as for the Tercel4wd? Since our rear axle is the same as the RWD corolla I would not expect any difference, but I thought I would check before I ordered them. This is something I should do. I really like those adjustable rear arms though, they come with the PU bush, which is not a good idea for street as you point out.

We expect a full report on the improvement.
Not certain that they will fit. Only way to know for sure is to try it. If I was not sure that the odds were very high of a positive outcome, I would not be doing this.

I am not suggesting that anyone try this until I have done it...

Check the two following links:

tercel rear control arm bushing: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... jy55Z8oy1m

corolla gts rear control arm bushing: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... jxohZ8oy1m

Same part number for both! Also check the notes for both: "Lateral rod bushing At frame". That is the correct term in 'yota speak for panhard rod. I'm guessing that the note means that the rear control arm bushing will also fit the lateral control arm. Also checked with an AZ rep and he looked at the FB790 listing and he was pretty sure that it was meant to be read as fitting both the rear control arms and the panhard rod to frame locations. That, both from experience & 'yota parts folks, I know that once 'yota has designed and produced a part they are obsessively driven to spread those sunken costs across as many applications as possible. But they never tip their hands at the interchangeability of so many parts by using the same P/N across all potential applications. A different parts number gets applied to every single possible application of a given part. Why would Toyota want us to know that rear control arm bushings are actually available from them, in the form of the 48706-14010 P/N, if they can sell a set of new control arms to us for nearly $700?

So I'm not going too far out on a limb here if I say that it is looking very much like the ae86 TRD bushings will fit the T4wd & furthermore that the " 48706-14010.....Bushing-rod to body" (panhard/lateral rod) that Tom reported buying from Butler for $19.31 will fit in all of those places also. That is a lot better pricing than the $24.99 at AZ.

So the AZ P/N FB790 is not such a good deal as the TRD for $23. When my TRD order gets here I'm going to get the FB790 from AZ and side by side measure it with the TRD units. That should hopefully tie a bunch of my hunches tightly together.
Last edited by 4wdchico on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 4wdchico »

More good bushing info: http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/p/109927

Note the posts by oldeskewltoy . Note his pic of the proper way to press TRD bushings into the rear control arms.

Disclaimer: I do not agree with his statements in the last paragraph of his last post in the above thread. Bushings that have significant torsional preload when the car is at rest do not live a long and happy life.

Exploded diagram TRD Japan suspension listing: http://www.trdparts.jp/english/parts_bush-ae86.html
Last edited by 4wdchico on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

4wdchico - you've done some great research!
I know we all hope it works out.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Bdeal223
My tercel:: Blue 1985 SR5 4WD

Post by Bdeal223 »

Digging into the archives here, so was it ever determined if OEM part #48706-14010 bushings will fit the upper and lower control arms?