New wheels!

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: New wheels!

Post by dlb »

petros, is you back end lifted? it looks like it's sitting higher than stock but i don't remember you mentioning doing anything of the sort. am i just high?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

No lift in the rear, stock springs. AFAIK they are original springs too. It does have gas filled rear shocks which may give it a little bit of lift.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

@Petros,
Nice pictorials of different wheel looks.

I say the 5 spoke, but only to clear more mud and snow. The AE92 wheels are Beautiful! My choice for good looks.

@Mattel,
Those OZ's are F'N sick. I don't think I've ever seen any on a car that wasn't fully built for rally.
Last edited by SynthDesign on Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

And it you really want to step up....and go hard core street.

Enkei RPF1's 15x7 42mm off set with Bridgestone Potenza 205 50 15 RE11s
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
They fit fine on my MR2 and my MR2 wheels fit fine on the tercel so it shouldn't have any fitment issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

WOW! Bigga bucks on those Enkeis?
I just got a set of Daisys for her, but Goldie is now feeling a bit W.E.E.*
Tom M.

* (Wheel Enkei Envy).
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
blade
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: No tercel. (stolen)

Post by blade »

synth you are going to have a sick looking tercel i wish i could do that with my car.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Them is RACING shoes!
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Synth watch out for rollover potential with the Enkeis. High center o' gravity + sticky skins = shiny side down, but you prolly know this already. For this reason alone I won't autox my Terc with the Azenis I use on my BMW.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

The Enkeis went on my 85 MR2 and are feeling amazing.

I put them on the Tercel to see if I like they looked (sorry totally forgot to take a pic) and how they felt. Honestly the RE11s in a 205/50/15 are way too much for our cars. There's not enough HP to run the wheels and they squeal around every corner. This could change with a different tire. I think it's our suspension turning in with too wide of a contact patch. They also rub severely on the inside fender when turning.

@Danzo,
If I roll a tercel, it will damn well be intentional. :) I've had em' sliding sideways down freeway on-ramps at 60mph with the the rear wheel lifted and never had a worry of rolling. I think that's why I love this chassis so much. They handle nothing like a newer SUV. Unless you're think I drive like Kelsey Grammer, and can flip anything in my driveway.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
danzo
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 6 speed

Post by danzo »

Not sure what automotive shinanigans Kelsey Grammar has been up to (undoubtedly paired with mountains of hooch), but I do know that just about any car can be rolled without hitting an obstruction. Certainly today's SUVs are more likely to flip, but the chances of 'regular' cars rolling are increased when one leaves the suspension stock (read: not lowered/stiffened) and increases tire grippiness. Not rocket surgery, it's still true of today's higher performance cars.

What do you with your MR2? Autocross, track days, or just ho collecting? Any of which are OK. I've always loved the first generation cars, I almost bought one a few months back. Fantastic drivetrain and suspension, with light manual steering. Tough to find one that hasn't been neglected or had the fast 'n' furious treatment.
It's a scientific fact that in a twin engine aircraft, when one engine fails there is always enough power in the remaining engine to make it all the way to the crash site.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

FYI, Kelsey Grammer flipped his brand new v10 viper in his 600 ft driveway a few years ago pulling out of his garage.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

ARCHINSTL wrote:WOW! Bigga bucks on those Enkeis?
I just got a set of Daisys for her, but Goldie is now feeling a bit W.E.E.*
Tom M.

* (Wheel Enkei Envy).
I have the Miata Daisey wheel on my '85. I think that they look way better on the terc than I expected them to look when I first got them off CL. Perfect fit on the offset and hub pilot diameter as well. BTW: the Daisey wheels were made for Mazda by Enkei...
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I would have preferred the "Gen II" Miata wheels like sdoan's, but I despaired of finding them locally after looking for months. I got a good deal on these and they were virtually perfect - the tire mounting place checked for defects and found none.
There are now three sets of Daisys on CL in STL, ranging from $100-400 (latter with XLNT Blizzaks). Also a set of "Gen III" 4x100 14" "fat" 5-spokers for $225 including tires.
They do fit perfectly. I must admit that I was leery of them fitting without interference with the caliper; I even put a dab of paint on the widest part of the calipers to see if they rubbed when torqued. I swear - there is a clearance of the thickness of a business card on both wheels - but - they cleared. However, if the calipers had been a bit fatter...it would have been time to take the old grinder to the caliper.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Finally completed the wheel installation. I also got around to painting my calipers too. For the first time in many years I am now driving on 4 brand new tires, all the same size and brand new! (not my normal junk yard supply-ouch that was costly). I got 4 "Falcon" 195/60x14 tires to go on the 6x14" wheels. They were about $352 total, including mount and balance and all taxes and fees from Discount Tire. The larger tires filled the wheel wells nicely, and the stopping power is much increased (especially with my MR2 brakes), wet weather stopping power is also markedly increased. So much so that I would almost call the stock tire size with the stock brakes unsafe on wet roadways.

What do you all think? Pretty cool huh? I was hoping to show them off at the PNW meet, but no one showed up.

Center hubs painted and gold lug nuts in place. All dressed up and nowhere to go! Notice my red brakes front and rear.

close up showing the painted caliper with the 25mm vented front disk brakes.

Wet weather tread pattern close up of my new tires.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Looks nice Petros.
Sorry, I made it a bit north and got side tracked and ended up in Lake Stevens on Sunday.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)