Question guys

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Kif slayer
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd wagon

Question guys

Post by Kif slayer »

so i was cleanin out my carb today with that carb cleaner spray and i noticed that ther was fuel squirting out of my fuel pump every so often...then i looked it up on the tercel manual wat it could be ..but it showed nothin so i took a mirror and looked were it was coming from ..and all i could figure is that it was comin out of the vent hole...any help guys??? ps my engine is just a 3 ac
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Question guys

Post by Petros »

Was it hot out? Fuel warming in the tank will expand slightly and could cause fuel to percolate out the fuel line.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Kif slayer

Post by Kif slayer »

well yea it was hot out...but i just had started my car like ten minutes before and all i was doiin was reving it up to spray the carb cleaner in...??? so im sstill confused :|
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Do you mean that there was fuel squirting from the pump into the engine compartment, rather than into the carb? If the pump is leaking (I'm not sure if that was your statement) from the vent hole, then the diaphragm is broken and the pump is toast. Replace the pump before the whole car is toast -Literally- the exhaust manifold is under the pump, all it would take is a spark, and the car is gone. :shock:
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

where was the fuel squiring out? Into the carb, or as Highlander asks, into the engine compartment? Do you have a leaky fuel line perhaps? You might need a new pump if it is leaking from the pump vent hole into the compartment. A leaky diaphragm will still pump fuel, but allow it to leak out the vent hole, it will not be long before it stops working altogether. Fuel pumps are not too costly, but make sure it is really bad.
Kif slayer

Post by Kif slayer »

ok so i guess i need a new fuel pump...shit...so is it bad if i drive it ..cause its my only way to work right now.. and how long would it usally last
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If it was squirting out the vent hole on the fuel pump - also change the oil and filter. There have been some threads on this - fuel getting into the sump.
I just went through this with my '88 Dodge/Mitsu p'up.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Kif slayer

Post by Kif slayer »

ok...well wat would it have to do with the oil?...cause i just changed that like a month ago
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Because of the ruptured diaphragm, the fuel can leak into the top of the head and thence into the sump, thereby diluting the oil. It's not worth taking a chance.
As an example, the oil level was at least one quart higher in the p'up. Fortunately, it appeared to have done no damage - but only time will tell.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

open your oil filler and take a deep whiff, if it smells like gasoline CHANGE THE OIL. As a teenager I got a car for free with a thrown rod, I rebuilt the engine and got it running, first oil change it all runny and smelling of gas. It was the fuel pump. I know why it threw a rod, and was glad I caught it in time before I trashed my rebuilt engine.

The Tercel is not quite as bad as some of the older cars, if it is leaking badly it can allow some gas into the cam shaft area that drives the fuel pump, and from there into the oil sump. Changing the oil is cheap compared to replacing the bearings. If there is no oil smell, and the dip stick has thick oil on it, just throw in a can of STP or similar.
Kif slayer

Post by Kif slayer »

oh alirght...ya i kno changin the oil is rel cheap..i can do it my self...but i just need to kno why haha..thanks man
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Kif- You're missing the point. If you smell the oil from the filler cap and smell gas fumes, then there is gas leaking into your oil through the broken diaphragm in the fuel pump. IF there is gas in your oil, then you need to change the oil or the gas will wipe the oil film from the bearings as you drive and you'll not get as many more miles from your engine as you should. Petros isn't saying that you need to change the oil UNLESS you have gas in the oil.
Gas in the oil sometimes happens when you have a bad fuel pump diaphragm, that's all.
You never did answer whether or not the gas is spraying about the engine compartment or not, so we're still a bit in the dark as to your exact problem and its solution. :?
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
Kif slayer

Post by Kif slayer »

oh! srry i was in a rush last time the fuel is pumpin out of the vent hole into the engine compartment...i can smeell gas like all the time now..and its not gettin anybetter.. i definatly havnt smelt my oil yet but will do tomorw...umm i actuly just orderd a new fuel pump as well so i hope this fixes the problem...and i will change the oil if that is invovled...ps my fuel milege suck as well
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

A suggestion... > > DON'T DRIVE IT UNTIL YOU GET THE NEW PUMP INSTALLED ! ! ! < <
Fuel is spraying around the engine bay - the fuel pump is right above the combined manifold - the fuel pump is right above the (hot) exhaust pipe.
'Nuff said...
Be sure to use the gaskets supplied with the pump and the original spacer.
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... ump#p41166
Change the oil and filter. As mentioned, it is not worth saving $12 worth of oil and filter if the engine is destroyed.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Kif slayer

Post by Kif slayer »

shit well i have been driving it..seems to run fine..but i think i should stop u guys seem to warn me enough so yes will do...umm thanks for all the help...i will get back to u guys when i get that in ...shouldnt be hard to do..