Another head gasket replacement...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Another head gasket replacement...

Post by Typrus »

Our trannies don't like much more than about 100ft/lb at 100HP.

The 4AGE came in-
Mr. Deuce (MR2)
AE86 Corolla
Corolla FX16
Geo Prism GSI

If you can, look for an AE86. I think the dizzy is off the end of the transverse setups.

They are around here. Plenty of them if you are willing to look. MR2's show up all the time. Occasionally an FX16 or a Corolla too.

Just be gentle to our drivetrain.

Is it possible with how much metal you removed the head is actually weaker and is distorting more under force than it ought? Just a thought.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by gatemaster »

I have exhuast getting into the water system. But no water in the oil. I retorqed the head by loosing first. The problem went away for about a week then came back. I seem to have this problem everytime I use one of these newer head gaskets that says not to use sealant. The kind that has a slippery surface so it will slide on bi-metal engines. Everytime I use sealant even though it says not to I don't have any problems. so now I have to pull the head, what a "PITA". I am going to use sealant and be done with it. I wonder if anyone sells older type gaskets that don't have the slippery s*ht on them?
An engines potential to produce power is based
mostly on it's cylinder head design.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

gatemaster wrote:I have exhuast getting into the water system. But no water in the oil. I retorqed the head by loosing first. The problem went away for about a week then came back. I seem to have this problem everytime I use one of these newer head gaskets that says not to use sealant. The kind that has a slippery surface so it will slide on bi-metal engines. Everytime I use sealant even though it says not to I don't have any problems. so now I have to pull the head, what a "PITA". I am going to use sealant and be done with it. I wonder if anyone sells older type gaskets that don't have the slippery s*ht on them?

get a custom made one, and order 4 of 'em.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Anyone ever try an OE gasket? They seem to last quite a long time.

I thought for sure my 84 would have gone by now. It even suffered a thermal event a 4-5 years ago that bubbled all the paint off the upper rad tank.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Eyeball
My tercel:: 86' Tercel Wagon Fwd only

Post by Eyeball »

So i am brand new to the site, been on here multiple times to read up about replacing the head gasket though. My first question is how is the copper head gasket holding up? Ive been through 2 head gaskets in less then 8months... really discouraging however i bought the car not running and not knowing exactly what was wrong, so all i did was a head gasket and exhaust doughnut, no resurface so that was my fault 100%... fired right up ran great for maybe 2 months, this time i resurfaced it ,did valve seals the head gasket mod fired right up again. Couple months down the road and now i can already see it is starting to show signs of blowing it again, temp shot up on me the other night, starting to smoke on start ups again. Very frustrating to say the least, 10degrees on my timing running regular,(could this be my problem?) Standard pistons though. . I was also thinking maybe the head bolts are getting bad? Im basically just lost of what the problem could be and why it keeps doing this. Fan kicks on radiator is clean , new t stat. Im wondering if switching to a copper gasket and new bolts might do the trick with premium im thinking. Let me know pleasseee.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

welcome, eyeball.

did you confirm the block and head are both perfectly flat? any other overheating problems that could be killing your head gaskets, like low coolant or bad radiators or thermostats? maybe your torque wrench is out of calibration. another forum member here had the same issue as you, then he tested his torque wrench and it was way off.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Hellow Eyeball,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your cooling system needs a good checkout/correction/repair. Do you have a double row radiator? Not a bad idea if not, also get a quality thermostat, and make sure the pump and hoses are all good. Check and double check the system for leaks when you have it all together. Just getting to the high end of the temp gauge without going into the red zone can compromise the head gasket.

Buy a quality head gasket (one made in Japan), and verify the top of the block and head is flat. You also might have the head checked for cracks or other leaks when it is off, not likely but a possibility.

Not likely the head bolts are bad, they are hard steel. If any are buggered up however it should be replaced. Make sure you clean out the threaded holes in the block where the head bolts go real good. if any of the threaded holes are buggered up you will have to find the proper size tap and chase the threads, if the threads are badly damaged you will need to drill it over sized and install a coil or thread insert. This is also not likely, but anything is possible on a car this old.

I have always been able to make the head gasket hold up well, though sometimes it takes several tries to sort out all of the possible problems. What ever made the first failure occur is still in the system, find it and correct it or it will continue to go through head gaskets.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

dlb wrote:welcome, eyeball.

did you confirm the block and head are both perfectly flat? any other overheating problems that could be killing your head gaskets, like low coolant or bad radiators or thermostats? maybe your torque wrench is out of calibration. another forum member here had the same issue as you, then he tested his torque wrench and it was way off.
Yeah the best i could at least on the block, the head was warped the first time around i found out after i pulled it the second time and had it resurfaced. Im constantly checking the coolant level though to make sure its topped off, the radiator is a single core, (i may upgrade) i think i will pull it the next go around and clean it thoroughly, any tips on cleaning the inside? It seems to keep the coolant clean though, im thinking paint thinner or mineral spirits maybe? Its a new t stat from Napa, also been using fel-pro head gaskets with the hole mods for better coolant flow both times.:( i compared my torque wrench to the machinist at my local Napa only 5-7 pounds off so i am accounting for it(i thought about it after the first go around). All the tips are much appreciated!
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

Petros wrote:Hellow Eyeball,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your cooling system needs a good checkout/correction/repair. Do you have a double row radiator? Not a bad idea if not, also get a quality thermostat, and make sure the pump and hoses are all good. Check and double check the system for leaks when you have it all together. Just getting to the high end of the temp gauge without going into the red zone can compromise the head gasket.

Buy a quality head gasket (one made in Japan), and verify the top of the block and head is flat. You also might have the head checked for cracks or other leaks when it is off, not likely but a possibility.

Not likely the head bolts are bad, they are hard steel. If any are buggered up however it should be replaced. Make sure you clean out the threaded holes in the block where the head bolts go real good. if any of the threaded holes are buggered up you will have to find the proper size tap and chase the threads, if the threads are badly damaged you will need to drill it over sized and install a coil or thread insert. This is also not likely, but anything is possible on a car this old.

I have always been able to make the head gasket hold up well, though sometimes it takes several tries to sort out all of the possible problems. What ever made the first failure occur is still in the system, find it and correct it or it will continue to go through head gaskets.

good luck.
My temp gauge hits about the middle now (was only 1/4 before so it going to the middle is a bad sign!) No leaks at all anywhere though. When my water pump goes out it will leak from the front correct? I may end up replacing this also. So i read earlier you did the copper head gasket, how is that holding up? Any problems? I couldnt see the pictures you posted of it or the holes you tapped in the head or am i misunderstanding and did you not drill in the head for coolant flow? I believe it was checked for cracks while it was getting resurfaced. Ive cleaned those stupid PITA holes chased them each time and this next time will be no different i will do it again. The first time was the badly warped head because i bought the car not running and didnt want to put basically any money into it without knowing if that would work ,i know really stupid but hey im figuring out how to do this head gasket better and better! So with head gasket choice, im thinking probably not fel pro this next time, either the copper one depending on your review or a oem Toyota one, unless someone has a better idea? I appreciate any help/tips and pictures, please show me the drill holes and copper head gasket!!:)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

1/4 on the temp gauge is too low. that's a sign of a faulty thermostat. 1/2 or just below 1/2 on the gauge is the correct fully warmed up operating temp. if that's where it's at now, i don't think you have a head gasket problem at all.
lannvouivre
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2006 Pontiac Vibe

Post by lannvouivre »

In addition to what dlb said, I want to mention that operating temperature (something like 180-212 degrees F, or middle of the gauge) is optimal. That is, the engine runs better and more efficiently in that range since it was designed for it.
But...did you try hitting it with a hammer?
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

dlb wrote:1/4 on the temp gauge is too low. that's a sign of a faulty thermostat. 1/2 or just below 1/2 on the gauge is the correct fully warmed up operating temp. if that's where it's at now, i don't think you have a head gasket problem at all.

Hmm well maybe i need to put a mechanical temp gauge in, the thing is it just started smoking again (sometimes) on start up most often when it is warm like if i drive it then go in the a store for 10-20 mins, it will smoke white. The other night it went above just a hair 1/2 on the gauge, so maybe a trip to toyota for a oem t-stat is in my future? Has anyone else ran copper head gaskets? (Thinking of the future) i wont exactly call it blown yet but it seems that is the direction it may be heading. What type of fuel do you guys run? Old head bolts too? Again im just trying to eliminate all possible issues. Thanks again , im liking this forum! Love these cars too except this little problem i keep running into of head gaskets:(
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

Also when the head gasket actually starts going and coolant starts getting burnt wont i see a drop in fuel mileage? Averaging about 31mpg consistently 33 on a good fill up
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

When driving behind a car that's burning coolant, I've always noticed an obvious smell of burning coolant. I don't know how to describe it, but I find it to be distinctive. -Sort of a sweet smell. It's very different from burning oil (which to me can look sort of similar). Do you smell it when you start up the car and the exhaust is smoking? Does the coolant level in the reservoir always have to be topped up?