ripping out carpet, experiences?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

ripping out carpet, experiences?

Post by dlb »

hey, i spilled milk in the rear passenger side footwell a few months ago and for those that don't know, nothing stinks worse than old milk. so i ripped out and threw away the underlay and washed the carpet numerous times, then sprayed it with an enzyme cleaner. it improved dramatically but i can still smell a hint of the stuff so i am going to give it a second treatment of the enzyme cleaner tonight since it says on the bottle that stubborn smells might need it. if it fails though i might just rip all the carpet out and spray the floor with box liner. than i could spill milk as much as i want and just hose the crap out afterwards, but i imagine i'll get a lot more road noise. so long story short, has anyone done this, and is it much noisier? or has anyone spilled milk and successfully removed the smell entirely from their car?

thanks all,
david
tercelwill
My tercel:: 85 Tercel SR5 4wd

Re: ripping out carpet, experiences?

Post by tercelwill »

Here is what I would do. Park in the sun, roll up the windows and saturate I mean soak it with Febreze and let it sit and bake. It sounds dumb but I've gotten really nasty smells out this way including mildew from a leaking sun roof. They got new fitted carpet at partstrain.com for $235. It says it's for the two door but it might work. I don't know if it comes with the underlay or not.

The Rhino Liner sounds cool and a lot cheaper too. i bet the liner would do a good job at sound deadening as well, It's dense and flexible. I don't know about you but i don't drive my terc for a quiet ride. I wouldn't hose it out though.