Rear brake shoe application warning!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Rear brake shoe application warning!

Post by sdoan »

Bummer.

Schuck's/O'Riley's didn't have their cheap rear brake shoes so I bought the premium ones they had on the shelf. Brand new made in China and they are screwed up. :x

Wagner Thermo Quiet part #PAB551 (WEB551) don't fit because the notches for the self adjusting screw are not cut deep enough. This may only be a problem with one batch, but I've had too many Chinese parts that didn't fit or failed immediately, so I'm sending out a blanket warning.

I didn't catch it until the brakes were on and I tried to fit the drums - the self adjust screw pushes the shoes out too far. There were no other Terc brake shoes in town so I modified the Chinese ones by cutting each of the self adjuster screw notches 3/16" deeper with the edge of a hand file. I know I should have taken them bake so the dealer and manufacturer knew they were being screwed but I was in a hurry to get it done.

So I've been complaining about Chinese made things for the last couple days and I run across this...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... 73&ps=cprs

The problem is not the Chinese because crap is made everywhere, but when the manufacturer is so far away how do they feel the consequences of their sloppy work? It's profit at the expense of everything else.

How do you professional mechanics make a profit when every part you buy is potentially a piece of crap? It seems to me it's gotten more difficult.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Rear brake shoe application warning!

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Send a copy of this to Schuck's/O'Reilley, along with the fact that you posted it to our Club's site. You might get some satisfaction. O'Reilly is based here in MO and I've heard they are pretty responsive, as it is a company that has expanded dramatically in the last couple of years and is really challenging AZ/ADV.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The IDEAL hose clamps I put on the top rad hose 8 years ago were stamped USA...the IDEAL clamps I recently bought did not have the USA stamp...looked about the same...but no made in China on them...mentioned to the parts guy that I didn't want Chinese clamps...he made some snide type remark about "no way that would happen". So I'd guess I got made in China clamps made on US machines shipped over there. Chinese can make good stuff I'm sure...just poor quality control.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Parts situation these days is pretty grim. Wagner rotors/drums are all chinese and now, unless you find some old stock, and it looks like friction may be going that way too. Watch out for the thin wall rotors!(on vented app's).

I was told by my oreilly's rep that he had to throw out the wagner rep the last time he appeared in the store. Lapdog went away with tail between legs. "Everything is fine and dandy" didn't work out that day. I've also helped give him ammo for further rotor quality arguments. Still waiting to see what happens there.....
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have gotten bad parts from china, and parts made in the USA, and from other countries too. I think the problem is the part makers cut corners trying to be price competitive. I would not trust Beck-Arnly any longer, they used to be all US made, but their quality had really gone down hill lately.

I suspect many car makers are having parts made in china now too, they would have their own quality control process in place. So I do not think we will be able to avoid china made parts eventually, so you just have to be cautious about the brand and quality you buy. If I can I will always bring in the old part to the parts store and compare it with the new one in the store, more than once I have found mismatches. It saves a trip back to the store later.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Darkelf
My tercel:: 87 T4WD work in progress
Location: Milton, WI.... yeah, it's hard to find on the map...lol

Post by Darkelf »

One thing to watch, especially with drum brakes.... Make sure you get the hardware kits designed for the shoes.. We had a prob in our shop with a set of shoes not fitting, as you described with the old adjuster. Turns out the new hardware kit had the correct length adjuster. Cars our age suffer from the dreaded "discontinued " bug. So companies that do make parts for them kinda set their own standards.
We went through 3 sets of brake shoes until I finally had a supplier rep come look at the issue. He was just as surprised, but the new hardware kit fixed the prob.
Just my .02
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I put a couple of Chinese brake drums on my truck last year. One I couldn't leave the store with...since it had voids in the casting as if the metal wasn't hot enough when poured. They had another one. They were 3-4 lbs lighter than the Nissan OEM drums. Seem to do OK.

The good...brought prices down...the bad...down went the quality.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

At the Zone its all Chinese and Mexican. Go Mexican if you can... Better quality control.

O'Reilley's took over Checkers. Doing a great job in our area. Might even defect if they can offer me a good location. lol. Made friends with their district manager.

ALWAYS. ALWAYS. Bring in your old part to compare. Find a way. It will save you and the parts guy a headache. Even the ones who know what their doing don't know all cars and all parts, so give them the benefit of the doubt and a little slack.

You'd be amazed how many people come in and they "know" one thing and they are 100% wrong. You'd also be amazed how prejudiced people are. Apparently just because I sell the part means I know jack crap about it. lol... But really, bring in your old part to compare and try and cut the counter-jockeys a little slack. Some are douche's, most are just doing their best.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

I agree with comparing your parts. I worked behind the counter at NAPA for a couple years - back when everything was paper catalogs and telephones.

The trick with the brake shoes was that they looked very different (the spring holes were very different and the lining was narrower) so I matched them up and everything seemed to be in the right place. Even after I knew where to look it was difficult to find the problem I had to align them against a straightedge and measure the depth of the notches with a caliper. Most people wouldn't catch that difference at the parts counter.

Darkelf's experience with the hardware kit is interesting though...