springs cc214 not made anymore

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

springs cc214 not made anymore

Post by warbstrd »

Talked to a Moog vender today and the part # cc214 is no longer available even though it still shows up on the Moog website though.

Went to Rock Auto and they have 2 different springs, Husky and Raybestus. I bought the Raybestus front and rear....only a few left. Part #'s are 5911068 for rear, and 5871055 for front. I just hope these numbers are correct
FRONT:
Inside dia. = 4.68 in.
Bar dia. = 0.5 in.
Free height = 15.68 in.
Spring rate = 100.5 lbs/in.
Load = 570 lbs
Load height = 10 in.

REAR:
Inside dia. = conical
Bar dia. = 0.485 in.
Free height = 12.61 in.
Spring rate = 122 lbs/in.
Load = 318 lbs
Load height = 10 in.
I found a used tire 195/75/14 that will hold air. After I do the shocks and springs I'll mount the used tire and see if it looks good and not to big. If it looks ok, I'll order the Cooper Discoverer LT.
In the meantime I am going to be stripping the paint from the VW Quantum snowflake rims and polishing them up real pretty like.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: springs cc214 not made anymore

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Not to be picayune - but did RA guarantee that the rears were correct and would fit? There have been so many posts over the years about non-availability of rear springs from any vendor, whether Toy or AM for the 4WD Wagon - that it seems odd that there would be some available all of a sudden. 2WD, yes - but for 4WD?
Now, Pedders in Australia has rears available, but for some bigga bucks - Typrus and at least one other member used these.
I got the 212 for the front two years ago - I think that was all that was available anywhere at the time - for AC-equipped cars as I recall.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Any word on whether RA guaranteed the rear springs you mention were definitely the ones for 4WD Wagons?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

Any word on whether RA guaranteed the rear springs you mention were definitely the ones for 4WD Wagons?
I didnt say they were definitely the correct ones.

RA doesn't say they are for the 4WD wagons. The spec's for the rear springs that I quoted in my first post are the same as what RA listed for the rear springs. I bought them in hope that they are the same. Raybestus who made them would definitely know, or at the very least give me more info than what RA has.

Nope. Didnt ask them. I was waiting for Raybestus to respond to my email requesting more information on the springs than what RA gave. I have not recieved anything back from them....was going to call them, but Raybestus charges $1.75 a minute to talk to a technician....

OOOPS... just reread your post...you wanted to know if RA mentioned that they were definitely the correct ones.....sorry... I'll be changing them out tuesday and will let you know if they fit.

JcWhitney sells booster springs that go on the rear shocks. I saw a post on this somewhere, but cant find it now.....anyone know who did it and if it was worth it?

here are the pictures of the springs and of my rims
10-14-2009 5-33-17 PM_0002.jpg
10-14-2009 5-34-24 PM_0003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

Just had the local parts dist. call Moog about the cc214. They were told that the springs were on back order and would be available again.

That being said, I just ordered a pair of the pro grade Raybestos springs from Rock Auto for $50.89 and used a 5% coupon that I googled while talking to the sales rep.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

So, warbstrd -
Not to be obtuse - but you got the Raybestos rear springs on the possibility they would fit? This is quite interesting and if they fit would be really invaluable info for us all.
This sounds ignorant, but - if compared to the OE, they are the same height with the same number of coils and the same thickness of the wire - they should be OK? I guess the real proof is when you get them on the car and drive around a bit, huh?
The official Toy rear spring number for the 2WD is 48231-16260, and for the 4Wd is 48231-16190. Two are listed for the sedans, presumable different for the 3 and 5-doors: 48123-16250 and 48231-16251.

I put the front 212 springs on back in '07; they were for AC cars and 214 were for non-AC cars as I recall. Are the 214s actually some sort of progressive spring? Not that I necessarily know what that means... The 212s were of a very slightly thicker wire than the OE and were taller with almost a full additional "curl," as I recall; the front end was definitely stiffer after this - as well as taller.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

Went to Rock Auto and they have 2 different springs, Husky and Raybestus. I bought the Raybestus front and rear....only a few left. Part #'s are 5911068 for rear, and 5871055 for front. I just hope these numbers are correct

FRONT:
Inside dia. = 4.68 in.
Bar dia. = 0.5 in.
Free height = 15.68 in.
Spring rate = 100.5 lbs/in.
Load = 570 lbs
Load height = 10 in.

REAR:
Inside dia. = conical
Bar dia. = 0.485 in.
Free height = 12.61 in.
Spring rate = 122 lbs/in.
Load = 318 lbs
Load height = 10 in.
The fronts are correct, but the REAR specs are NOT correct for the 4wd tercel. WAY to short and not conical. Raybestus still hasn't replied to my questions...go figure.
I purchased the springs based on someone elses information without verifying for myself....oh well.

going to order these but in the 1200 lb.http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... 10&start=0

The fronts I bought are identical to the ones that were on. Just for giggles we put the old strut in a vise and took the end nut off just to see what kind of tension it had......It flew apart.......for about 5 feet, thats it. Now the new spring was a different story, really difficult to compress. We forgot the bump stop on the first one. Went to the second strut, and I was like what is this? Wait, the other side didn't have one of these, I was holding up the bump stop.
My neighbor said yeah it did I put it with the used parts. So, we had to take the first strut off and put it on again, this time with the bump stop.

I'm not to impressed with KYB shocks and struts. I remember when I did my truck, I cut the strap and we had a hell of a time to compress the shock to get it on. All of the strut inserts and shocks were IMO were way to easy to compress and took 10 seconds to fully extend.....the ones that were on the car was useless though and wouldnt extend at all.

thanks to garyfish and archinstl for the part#s for the upper mounts on the struts and said they were a killer deal......My old ones were ridiculously squashed.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I used KYB inserts and mounts for the front; the ride is considerably stiffer, but whether due to the brand of insert or the 212 springs or their combination I do not know. That was the first (and only) time I replaced struts/inserts, so I dunno how easy/hard they should have been to compress.
The rears were replaced in '05 with Gabriel (I think) and I don't see a reason to replace them now with KYB.
Like you, my inserts (and rears) collapsed of their own accord - interesting.
Tom M.
P.S. Want me to delete one of your two preceding posts? They seem like duplicates.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
offroadohio
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel 4wd

Post by offroadohio »

Autozone sells replacement coils for these things. I have soem sitting on the floor waiting for install
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

offroadohio wrote:Autozone sells replacement coils for these things. I have soem sitting on the floor waiting for install
Fronts - yes; rears - no.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Post by 4wdchico »

warbstrd wrote:

I'm not to impressed with KYB shocks and struts. I remember when I did my truck, I cut the strap and we had a hell of a time to compress the shock to get it on. All of the strut inserts and shocks were IMO were way to easy to compress and took 10 seconds to fully extend.....the ones that were on the car was useless though and wouldnt extend at all.

I know that you must have KYB GR2 strut inserts for your car because that is all that they make for the front of the t4. Did you get the GR2 rear shocks?

It's pretty obvious by your description of the shock install on your truck that you had a KYB high pressure product. Most likely they were the Gas-a-just, they are charged with 300psi of nitrogen behind a floating piston to separate the gas from the shock oil. The GR2 line is a low pressure gas product, with only 30psi inside a high tech baggie floating in the shock oil. The difference you are describing is not a quality issue, just a difference in designs. The high pressure products are tuned for the more sporting driver as well.

However, you can buy the Gas-a-just shock for the rear of the t4 still. i have them on the rear of my car & they are sweet.
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

It's pretty obvious by your description of the shock install on your truck that you had a KYB high pressure product
they were Edelbrock IAS shocks.
The GR2 line is a low pressure gas product, with only 30psi inside a high tech baggie floating in the shock oil
However, you can buy the Gas-a-just shock for the rear of the t4 still. i have them on the rear of my car & they are sweet
hmmm.....didnt know that.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

You want the Pedders. They are great. I went stock height. While the car was in operation they worked fantastic. You can get a slight lift from them as well. Good product. I seem to remember $100 and some shipping? But it took about 90 days to get them.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

yes delete one of my posts. dont know what happened.

i will call pedders tomorrow