windshield where to get one

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
fuseone
My tercel:: 87 sr5 tercel bone stock lol

windshield where to get one

Post by fuseone »

where can i get a windsheild for a 87 toyota tercel sr5 wagon? The one on the car is cracked and i need a knew one but i have no clue where to get one.
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: windshield where to get one

Post by 4wdchico »

Any glass shop should have no problem getting you one. Just make sure to ask for a quality full thickness glass, there are a lot of cheap thinner windshields on the market these days.
buffalomesa
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Dlx 2WD Wagon

Post by buffalomesa »

Yep, any glass company can do it. Shop the price some, mine cost $130 last year.
fuseone
My tercel:: 87 sr5 tercel bone stock lol

Post by fuseone »

also how hard are they to install
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Unless you have A LOT of experience with windshields, have a friend help you, or else you'll most likely break it. it's not too hard though, there are kind of specialty tools.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I second Neu's advice on home installation.
I tried to do this once on a VW Bus and had to give up; I thought it would be relatively easy, and we had no hood over which to stretch - "We'll just walk up and stick it on, Bob."
Between my friend and myself we had 20 thumbs that day; we had to concede our defeat and call a (smirking) pro.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
buffalomesa
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Dlx 2WD Wagon

Post by buffalomesa »

The $130 price on mine included installation. I wouldn't pay more than $150 installed. Leave the install to the professionals, they assume the risk of breakage when they do the job, and it won't leak when they're done.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

buffalomesa wrote:The $130 price on mine included installation. I wouldn't pay more than $150 installed. Leave the install to the professionals, they assume the risk of breakage when they do the job, and it won't leak when they're done.

Hopefully it wont leak, HOPEFULLY. but they will fix it if it does.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Make sure they wear fresh rubber gloves. One fingerprint under the glue will botch the whole job.

Is there any rust around the windshield frame? Now would be a good time to address it. No guarantee will be offered if there is. My 84's windshield had rust on both sides and top. It just took a good push to remove. I stripped it to clean metal and refinshed it starting with por15 before I called in the glass guy. It was also fun to take it for a short spin with the wind in my face!

If you decide to remove it yourself, cover it on both sides with duct tape first to keep the mess down.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

splatterdog wrote: It was also fun to take it for a short spin with the wind in my face!
Off-topic...but that reminded me of being Joe Cool and driving my '52 Singer Roadster around with the windscreen down.
Gack, but I was a callow youth! Or maybe - just a geek...(no replies necessary...).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Last time I replaced a windshield it was $116 installed, just last year. Good quality glass, too. And the installers did a great job sealing up the frame where there was some light rust; the previous windshield had leaked and caused some rust, good thing it took a rock and needed replacement!
No matter how good a windshield you get in Colorado it will probably break in a year or two, with all the gravel on the winter roads. Same thing with headlights, etc.
I say, shop around, there are plenty of aftermarket windshield places. If you want an OEM windshield equivalent, though, expect to pay quite a bit. Gotta ask yourself if a 20 year old auto is worth a $300 windshield.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

="hberdan" If you want an OEM windshield equivalent, though, expect to pay quite a bit. Gotta ask yourself if a 20 year old auto is worth a $300 windshield.
I got mine "online" where of course they sub it out to someone local. I did try calling around locally and got the most outrageous quote from Abra Body And Glass. ONLY $800! The robot girl on the phone answered every question as to why so much with "it's $800". She didn't like it when I said this is cash, not an insurance gouge job. She didn't care much either that it would quadruple the value of my car.

I now have a lifelong grudge that I willingly share with others. Word of mouth can be the best/worst advertising.....