Selling/parting out my 83 4wd SR5 for $300

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Seattle_Tercel_Lover
My tercel:: 1983 4wd SR5 Bronze 5 door Tercel

Selling/parting out my 83 4wd SR5 for $300

Post by Seattle_Tercel_Lover »

My tercel days are over... The second of my two 83's has something wrong with the head gasket (leaking coolant and white smoke out of the exhaust). I'm not mechanically inclined so it would cost me the price of a new car to get the work done and I've decided its time to retire the Tercels.

The one I'm selling is in fair shape, other than the head gasket.
-new clutch
-just patched the radiator
-tuned a month ago (oil change, spark plugs, oil,fuel and air filters, etc.)

But also has a couple problems that could be and easy fix for someone that would replace the head gasket
-starter sometimes needs to be banged on
-rhythmic banging sound in 3rd and 4th gear (I posted about this a couple weeks ago)
-some trouble starting, but will start
-battery and alternator may need to be replaced eventually but work fine right now

I also have another 83 4wd sr5 that I've been using for parts

I am willing to part out both but would prefer to have the whole cars taken

The nicer one will drive but I don't recommend it

I am flexible about price so make an offer
Flashman

Re: Selling/parting out my 83 4wd SR5 for $300

Post by Flashman »

I don't suppose you would be interested in shipping a rear passenger door quarter window up to BC?
brickabrack13
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4WD Wagon

Post by brickabrack13 »

Does the car your parting have a sunroof and rear windshield wiper. I have been searching for these parts for the better part of a year. So I would be willing to pay a good amount for them.
83tercel
My tercel:: 1983 sr5

Post by 83tercel »

hey, you still have this? and willing to part?

i desperatley need a few parts. First i need the carb, or at least would like it. I really need the two vaccum switches on the right shock tower. I can provide a picture if you are not sure what they are.

Email me at j.cook.102@ g mail.com or get me on here please
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Well Neu,
You wanted to know what happened to my old Terc....

Apparently it was ok with an old fart like me, but couldn't handle a youngster very well.....

Fare thee well, o' mighty warrior.

-D
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

coltarms wrote:Well Neu,
You wanted to know what happened to my old Terc....

Apparently it was ok with an old fart like me, but couldn't handle a youngster very well.....

Fare thee well, o' mighty warrior.

-D
YOung guy got ahold of it and broke it? That sucks...I'm pretty hard on my tercel but I love it all the time. I give it what it wants, and right now it wants oil...bad...lol
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

My tercel days are over... The second of my two 83's has something wrong with the head gasket (leaking coolant and white smoke out of the exhaust). I'm not mechanically inclined so it would cost me the price of a new car to get the work done and I've decided its time to retire the Tercels.
No it wouldn't. New cars cost 45k + or -. Fixing your Tercel would be a lot cheaper. I'm speaking from experience because I worked for a few months as an intern car mechanic at a Toyota dealership and saw new vehicle price tags and they were way beyong my realm of purchase. I know someone fix your Tercel up for a lot less than a new car. So please keep your Tercel if you can...... I don't want to see another one go to the crusher! :x :cry:
K-Business
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

terceldude wrote:
No it wouldn't. New cars cost 45k + or -. Fixing your Tercel would be a lot cheaper. I'm speaking from experience because I worked for a few months as an intern car mechanic at a Toyota dealership and saw new vehicle price tags and they were way beyong my realm of purchase. I know someone fix your Tercel up for a lot less than a new car. So please keep your Tercel if you can...... I don't want to see another one go to the crusher! :x :cry:

Toyota's most expensive car starts at 27k....so i dont know what 45k cars you're talking about, maybe fully loaded..but even then.

Actually I'll goto toyota.com and load up an avalon with everything.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

Just got done at toyota.com loaded up a few different models with the most expensive trims and options.

Toyota Avalon comes in at $39,237 MSRP. I dont know what 45k cars you're talking about, i could also guarantee that at a dealership, on the lot, you could get a fully loaded avalon for 35k, because of dealer incentives and whatnot. Selling a car with all the options would be a nice bonus.

Anyway, 45k cars from toyota..no.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

YOung guy got ahold of it and broke it? That sucks...I'm pretty hard on my tercel but I love it all the time. I give it what it wants, and right now it wants oil...bad...lol
No, young girl. Apparently, she's way tougher than me......

I've been thinking of getting another one, but my wife is in grad school and we're trying to pay for her schooling with as few loans as possible. I've actually thought about selling the Jeep to cover the cost of another Terc or All-Trac.....AND AN OLD WILLYS! The problem is that no one wants to buy a used Wrangler with pricy gas.

-D
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

coltarms wrote:....AND AN OLD WILLYS!
WOW !
An old Willys Wagon or car? That wagon was certainly ahead of its time. A neighbor had one back in the early '50s; kinda utilitarian compared to other wagons, but indestructible! That neighbor also had a Jeepster, which was really cool - except when the rain came in the side curtains...
Willys used that basic model from 1946 until 1965. I was seriously looking at a new one when I got out of Basic in '64, but my effete fiancée objected to both that and my Morris Minor habit - so we wound up with a new 122S.
Willys Wagon site:
http://www.davedrive.com/1951_willys.htm
And another great Willys site, with lots of links:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~grover/willys/
And - a neat video about a '48 Wagon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCx2g1qx8k8
I loved it when he popped up the air vent on the cowl - and stuck his arm out the window to signal a turn - and the no-drafts. Sigh...

My Beloved Sister (she of T4WD Destroying Angel fame) had a '53 Willys Aero 4-door sedan in the early '60s. Good basic car, also ahead of its time.
Boy, if things were different - the Willys Wagon would certainly be on my calendar...
Tom M.
P.S. Something which surprised me - as big as it was, and with the STEEL conventional chassis - the 2WD Wagon only weighed about 500 more pounds than the T4WD...
Hey to Mattel - did you guys get the Willys Wagon in OZ and NZ?
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Nope Tom, haven't caught one of those yet, I'm sure there might be a few around, Australia was pretty anglocentric at that stage but I have seen some small dodge and ford trucks from around that time.
A little of Topic but, When I was in Vanuatu recently I saw some WW2 Jeeps driving around though. A lot of equipment was left over after the war and over $1Million of gear was thrown overboard at one warf where you can now dive around the trucks and machinery still down there. The story of the Cargo cults is pretty amazing also.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Is this still alive? it was started back in may...anyway im looking for a car that has severe engine problems that i can get for relatively cheap, but with everything but the engine in good shape body/trans etc... i want to start an electric conversion project...
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project