Transmission arrived

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Well my tranny came via UPS today, I had ordered a rebuilt one since it would cost the same to rebuild mine myself ($1170 US). I opened the package like it was christmas morning and much to my suprise there was no bellhousing on this one. I figured out that apparently the bellhousing is part of the differential carrier and therefore does not come with the trans. Oops on my part for not asking. I needed it too since the drive pinion was busted and all the bearings are full of metal filings. So I found a junkyard with a tercel (amazing), ran down and looked at it, and it was kosher. I also looked inside the car and it had a clinometer in it. I bought that, too for cheap. I guess the moral of this story is to ask questions and don't assume, but then if you do that you won't get a clinometer. :D
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Haha! Right on! If you don't want to try to figure out the wiring for the inclinometer yourself, I have written it all down on the schematics in my FRM. I can put the info up here if you would like.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I quoted Rising Sun Engines and they want $295 for a used Z52F trans. Pretty good considering that they usually go for $395 or $495. I sure hope that this trans lasts you a long time. You have spent quite an amount of money on your Tercel already.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

A search on car-part.com shows prices from $650 to around $200.

If those Rising Sun trans are low mileage...that's a good price.

$1170 US is about what I spent on my whole car...and yes it does have some holes in it. <_<
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I'm going to try and ask them approx. how many miles those trans have. I haven't read their warranty policy but if they have a good one then it might really be worth every dollar.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

GTSSportCoupe wrote: Haha! Right on! If you don't want to try to figure out the wiring for the inclinometer yourself, I have written it all down on the schematics in my FRM. I can put the info up here if you would like.
That would be great. I'm going to need to be splicing the plug in, since I don't belive the 87 had the plug.

Takza: I only spent $325 for my car and its really minty, so I can splurge on a motor and trans. :P
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.