Timing Belt Survey

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Timing Belt Survey

Post by ARCHINSTL »

The only thing major I plan with Goldie this Summer is the timing belt replacement; I do not know the age of the current one, but might as well do it instead of a couple of years from now...
The OE belt pricing is only a few bucks more than the assorted aftermarket ones, but the tensioner is considerably more than the aftermarket versions.
Does anyone have any belt/tensioner recommendations - or ones to stay away from? I've done a Search, but cannot find any reccies/disses.
Anything else to be replaced at the same time? I will be replacing the camcover gaskets and washers, thermostat, and both pulley belts (the AC was disconnected before I got her). The water pump was new before I got her, at about 7K miles ago.
Thanks,
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
4wdchico
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

Re: Timing Belt Survey

Post by 4wdchico »

Unless I knew for sure that the water pump was a new high quality Japanese unit when it was installed, I'd change that also. I have a local foreign parts guy who can often get me OEM parts that are not from Toyota at a significant discount. Can be a real savings. Given how much the tensioner turns I'd insist on OEM or Toyota sourced stuff as real 'yota bearings/seals are usually way higher quality than one can source thru regular channels. I'm going to be doing the same job soon and I'll find out who is OEM sourcing for the tensioners and let you know.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Cam and crank seals.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

splatterdog wrote:Cam and crank seals.
I second that.
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

ARCH- I'd only use the OEM or MOOG tensioner. I've had to replace one after the timing belt before, and it's such a pain since you were just in there. Definitely replace the half moon cam seal at the back of the head, clean the area well, and seal it in with removable permatex (not silicone seal-it's crap for this application) . Crank seal-Yeah, you're right there-it's ~$5 and the piece of mind is (not to mention the clean garage floor) is worth it. :P
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites