searching for tercel...

This forum is for cars that run, or at least are close to running. This isn't for parting out complete cars.
dutch000

searching for tercel...

Post by dutch000 »

Hi - newbie here, wanting to find tercel 4x4 of my own. I've advertised in the local buy & sell with no luck. Looking for a rust free, decent condition car. It seems they've all rusted away to nothing here in Winnipeg with our never ending winters with road salt. I don't mind travelling to get a car, but I'm trying not to cross the continent to find one.
Any leads are appreciated!
Thanks
Dutch
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

craigslist.org will help you along the way.

also autotrader.com might have some.

Craigslist is by far the best option for ya.
jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

Here's one in B.C.:
http://victoria.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicl ... dZ36238817

Another in Halifax:
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... dZ40894577
One in Calgary:
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... dZ38637817

B.C. is probably the best to find one especially Vancouver Island as there are many of them. If ya need parts I have many....
Good Luck!!
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
dutch000

found one...

Post by dutch000 »

So I found a tercel near home. It's an automatic, which I don't like, but it's decent shape otherwise. The guys says it needs front diff work though. Says it's been making noise and his local shop told him it was the front diff. What could I be facing. Could it be swapped with a whole trans out of a regular tercel or only a 4wd?
What's your opinions.
Thanks.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

most anything drivetrain (engine, tranny, any parts that move pretty much) usually need to be 4wd specific. exception is if you do an engine swap.
dutch000

parts

Post by dutch000 »

Does anyone have a good front diff for sale?
Thanks
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

Post a new thread for that, in the mean time check junkyards/auto wreckers. Pull it yourself, shouldn;t be too bad. while you're there you might as well buy the entire car from them, itll be cheaper in the long run, if you want.

Front diff prices vary on the junkyard though, if they catalogue their parts, itll be pricy, if theyre local, trashy yard, you could get it for super cheap.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

If it is a 4wd example, than changing over the whole transaxle and diff. to a manual 6 speed would not be too bad. It would not be worth the trouble if the body was not in good cond, but if you get it cheap it might be a good parts car. The diff is so costly to fix if you can not do it yourself it makes the car only worth scrap metal.

The cheapest way to go is find a parts car with a good trans and use it for parts, that way you can get the foot pedal, cable, linkage, driveshaft etc. and everything else you need to switch it over. Trying to do this out of a wrecking yard would be to expensive. If you find a wrecked rust bucket for cheap, it would be worth it as a parts car to use the two to make one good one. Then junk the hulk for scrap and get some of your money back.

If you are not willing to swap the trans, I do not think I would go for an autotrans, less power and economy and limited life of the trans (and harder to find replacements). If you are not willing to make the switch, than pass this up and look for what you really want. A car this old will always need some major repair sooner or later, better get the car you really want. Unless you just get it for parts. What the diff ring and pinon ratio, there are two different ones, either is okay as long as you are sure the front and rear ratios are the same (or you will have to swap out the rear diff gear set to sit will match-another reason to get a whole "parts" car, you will have the correct rear diff ratio available).

If you are looking for a rust free car, you might consider only looking in the nearest states or prov. that do not use salt on the roads, and check the Craigs list for those areas.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

Be aware that the tranny and final gear ratios changed in 1985. If you have an 83 or 84, then it's best if you get a trans from that era, same goes for 85-87 versions. Also be sure that when you put the throwout carrier on to clean the tube that it rides on, clean out the old grease from inside and regrease it with a smear or two. Don't ask why I know this. :wink:
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
schmooot

Post by schmooot »

Neu wrote:most anything drivetrain (engine, tranny, any parts that move pretty much) usually need to be 4wd specific. exception is if you do an engine swap.
engine is not 4wd specific...everything else you mentioned is
Neu
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Neu »

thats why i said only exception is an engine swap, doesn;t have to be 4wd specific. I only said engine in the first place cuz i said drivetrain.