88 tercel 3 speed auto -- overdrive possibilities

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
edt77

88 tercel 3 speed auto -- overdrive possibilities

Post by edt77 »

I was wondering if anyone has swapped a 4speed auto into their tercel. Is it possible with the 4wd? My objective is to get better gas mileage.

Thanks,
Ed
"You face forward or you face the possibility of shock and damage"
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as an overdrive automatic that'll fit the 4WD Tercel. If it'd been possible, I'd have done it years ago. Your best bet would be to do a stick conversion.
"And to see you're really only very small
and life flows on within you and without you." George Harrison
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

swap out the guts of the tranny?
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Bigger tires or a torque converter with a low stall speed?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

edt77

Post by edt77 »

takza wrote:Bigger tires or a torque converter with a low stall speed?
I am already on 15in mags so I guess that this is the best that i got for the time being (gas mileage wise).
Is there a torque converter for the 3 speed?

I am really going to look into the manual swap. Does it require a shop full of tools or can it be done in my garage over the weekend if i have the parts?

thanks
"You face forward or you face the possibility of shock and damage"
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

you could do it with a full set of wrenches and a ratchet set, plus you usual selection of pliers and screwdrivers.

hardest part would be removing the flex plate and installing a flywheel, those bolts are usually pretty tight.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

The flexplate bolts are pretty tight. They come right out with an air impact, or you can hold the balancer with a strap wrench while you break them loose.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

A rubber mallet and a standard wrench works too. Thats what I did when I did my silver-swap back in the day.
So my question is whether or not cutting is involved? Change of the wiring harness?
Consider that there is a bit that is auto and manual specific, plug-wise. Important? I realize that the 4wd indicator and reverse are the biggest issues, likely.
You'd have to find a way to splice the reverse indicators into each other. 4wd as well. Not sure if they'd plug into each other, or if its even possible. Differing voltages or whatever.

I know its been done, someone just needs to come up and clarify on this point.
Also... Driveshaft and CV differentiations? The CV's are the same actually. I swapped them from an 86 6-speed to my 85 3-speed.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Here is the link to Repair Guides for the auto-to-manual swap:
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1443
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Besides the taller tires, you might also look into swapping out the final drive ratio, the '83 and '84 Tercels have a higher final drive ratio. If you have an '85 or newer one this would have the same effect as adding an overdrive, and it is easier than doing a auto to manual change over.

Though I would highly recommend such a swap, but it is a lot of work and you will not likely make up the cost difference for many years of driving (unless you get a "donor" car for free). You might save that for when your tans needs to be replaced anyway.

A few other things to help economy is: a larger exhaust system (again only if you need a new exhaust system anyway, otherwise there is no savings). Advance your timing to 10-12 deg BTDC, make sure your vacuum advance is working, if not replace it. Put narrow tires on the tall rims, and pump them up to 45+ psi. Strip any unnecessary weight out of the car. Get a free flowing air filter, rebuild the carb if it needs it.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

The higher final drive only applies if you're talking about a manual transmission in a 4WD Tercel. The automatics didn't change, and you won't gain anything by swapping in an earlier final drive.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I am talking about replacing the front and rear ring and pinion in the differentials, sometimes referred to as the "final drive". I do not think that it being a manual or auto trans would make any difference since the differentials are is separate housings.

Usually when referring to the "final drive ratio" one is referring to the whole drive train in high gear. If you have an overdrive trans with a low differential ratio, you could have the same final drive ratio as with a non-overdrive trans with a higher differential ratio. So changing the differential would change the final drive ratio.

You would have to swap both the front and rear, and you would have to find a higher gear ratio for both front and rear. If it already has the higher ring and pinion ratio set, than there would be nothing to change to.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

Petros wrote:I am talking about replacing the front and rear ring and pinion in the differentials, sometimes referred to as the "final drive". I do not think that it being a manual or auto trans would make any difference since the differentials are is separate housings.

Usually when referring to the "final drive ratio" one is referring to the whole drive train in high gear. If you have an overdrive trans with a low differential ratio, you could have the same final drive ratio as with a non-overdrive trans with a higher differential ratio. So changing the differential would change the final drive ratio.

You would have to swap both the front and rear, and you would have to find a higher gear ratio for both front and rear. If it already has the higher ring and pinion ratio set, than there would be nothing to change to.
I understand what the final drive is; what I'm saying is that the differences in final drive ratios were only in the manual transmission 4WD Tercels. Automatic 4WD Tercels and 2WD Tercels kept the same final drive ratios throughout the production run.