New Terc4wd owner!! and an intro!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
e1_griego

New Terc4wd owner!! and an intro!

Post by e1_griego »

Hello all, my name is Alex and I just picked up my first Tercel 4wd, and what a car!! I'm smitten.

It's a 2 owner, gold over brown 4wd, 6spd. 191k and mostly perfect. Body and paint are in GREAT shape, and I got a folder with ~$2k-2500 worth of receipts over the last couple of years-- new head gasket, clutch, radiator, carb rebuild and a whole host of other parts. It runs a tad bit rough, but a new cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs will be going in this weekend so that should help. The timing was too advanced (pinging under load) so we backed that off to 5deg, and raised the idle from ~600 to ~900-1k. Much better :)

This car has not been abused at all. It smells like there's a bit of an oil leak inside the engine bay, but doesn't appear to smoke or leak otherwise. There's no drips under the car at all.

Seriously, this is a very awesome car--I was looking for a daily driver so I didn't have to drive my other car around town and to work and whatnot. My other car is a 1989 Nissan 240sx that has a built single cam KA and is turboed. Fun car, but coilovers, bucket seat, and boost do not a good daily driver make.

Anyhow, just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm thrilled to find a Tercel4wd forum, as I'm somewhat of a forum whore. I'm a moderator on 3geez.com (dedicated to 86-89 accords) and a moderator on Northwestnissans.com. I'm also addicted to The Car Lounge forum, among many many others.

Anyhow, I'll hopefully grab some better pics tomorrow or this weekend, as the craigslist pics are somewhat small.

Thanks!

Alex
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

nice clean tercel

congrats
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome!
Was the previous owner aware of the Club?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Change out that transaxle oil! :lol: Welcome.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

e1_griego

Post by e1_griego »

In the receipts it shows that the gear oil was replaced, but I will probably do it again.

And no, I highly doubt the woman was aware of the forum.

Thanks for the welcome!

Alex
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

hey! Welcome! Looks like a nice find. 8)
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Welcome to the forums! Always nice to have another knowledgable car enthusiast around. :wink:
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Likewise, Alex, welcome on !! I couldn't keep my daily driver going without the help of all the guys here......made a 600 mile round-trip road trip a couple of weekends ago to go mountain biking in the mountains of NC without a hitch !

Great lookin' car, by the way.....looks nice and clean and rust free !!
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Welcome, you really got a gem there. Its been awhile since ours looked that good. It will probably be awhile before you start thinking 4ac and Weber, but certainly think in terms of keeping this in great shape for as long as possible.

The front seal on these engines are prone to leaking. You'll want to change it when you change the timing belt, unless it starts getting real bad. BTW, when was the timing belt last changed? The engine is a non interference engine, so a broken belt will not destroy it, but it is inconvenient. They aren't hard to change, there are several write ups on doing this here.
thebigbread
Top Notch Member

Post by thebigbread »

Very nice, is that 2-tone hatch stock? i dont think ive ever seen one that clean (at least in a while)

I assume its either a 83 or 84, because it has an inclinometer.
1984 2wd wagon, "bottle rocket": http://www.myspace.com/1984tercel
1995 Isuzu TFR-S, "Shorty": no cardomain page yet
e1_griego

Post by e1_griego »

Timing belt looks like it was done in January of this year, along with the headgasket.

Clutch and a front axles were replaced last year in March of 06. Carb was R&R'd in April '05, and pretty much everything in the cooling system (rad, thermostat, water pump, hoses etc) was replaced in March of '06. All there parts were replaced in the last 18k miles :)

Alex
CASE

Post by CASE »

NICE FIND!! I got mine from police auction(siezures and impounds) with no drugs or bullet holes in it- I thought mine was way clean, but that one goes "ching!"-congrats!
-CASE
e1_griego

Post by e1_griego »

Those first pics were from the cl ad...here's some new ones:

New cap and rotor helped out a lot. I still need to seafoam it, and it smokes pretty bad at startup--might throw in some Restore, or just deal.

Alex
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Enough with the photos ! ! !
Between you and dcn - we are all jealous enough ! ! !

Seriously, you certainly got lucky on this one.
I note there is a difference in the paint of the lower panels from one side to the other - did the former owner do this>
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I see some SeaFoam in that car....
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew