'83 Terc $1000 in Portland OR

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

'83 Terc $1000 in Portland OR

Post by coltarms »

Yeah, I'm selling mine. Lots of stuff done to it. It just passed smog, too. It does need some more work, though. I'm getting a motorcycle for the fiancee and don't want 4 vehicles. I may put the Jeep up for sale if the Tercel doesn't go, but right now the weather is too nice to get rid of the Jeep.

PM me for details......

-Dave
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Here are the stats:
I am the 3rd owner. I bought the vehiche from the daughter of the original owner. Have clean Oregon Title.

1983 SR5 (5spd, with inclinometer, no AC, no PS, no sunroof, no cruise, non-smoker)
185K Mi
-Just passed Oregon DEQ (HC levels around 20, allowable 200)
-New (Holley Reman) carb
-New (Reman) IIA unit - complete distributor, vac advance, cap, rotor.
-New front struts (sensatrac cartridges less than 15k mi)
-New (Raman) Alternator
-New rear shocks (less than 15k mi)
-New front brakes
-New timing belt
-New intake/exhaust manifold gasket
-New TVSV
-New EGR Modulator
-New valve cover gasket
-New valve seals
-New PCV valve and hose
-New thermostat, entire cooling system flushed and filled with Propylene Glycol
-Pioneer single disc CD Player and 4 speakers (walmart specials) with wiring installed for an amp/sub

Hot compression test yield 158-164psi across, squirt of earl brought them all up to about 168-172psi. Has a tendency to foul the occasional plug now and then. Needs to run hotter plugs? Obviously will need new rings eventually, but seems to have plenty of life left. 4WD works great! I usually pull 26mpg around town (lot of cold driving) and have gotten 34 on a straight freeway drive. It is on it's 3rd Napa ARI Reman CV shaft, and is occasionally clicking under full turn. Rear bearings are a tad noisy, but nothing rythmic yet. Vehicle comes with ski rack and 2 studded snow tires, mounted and balanced on their own wheels, and a set of TJ Wrangler coils for a "lift Kit" that I haven't gotten around to installing yet. Interior is virtually pristine (aside from 1 or 2 stains.) All lights/lenses/windows are crack free and operational (except for done light, needs new bulb and finger lever.) Fires right up every morning. There are a couple of spots of surface rust that I sanded off and repainted with a rattle can (closest color match I could find) but no serious cancer.

The price is $1000 or reasonable offer. When think of a reasonable offer, bear in mind that I paid $600 for it and have put over $1000 of parts into it. Also, it MUST go to a good home.

-Dave
Seattle_Tercel_Lover
My tercel:: 1983 4wd SR5 Bronze 5 door Tercel

Post by Seattle_Tercel_Lover »

I bought a tercel just over two years ago. It was a copper colored 83. Ever since then I've been a tercel fanatic. That car meant so much to me. I live in the moutains 6 months out of the year and that car has gotten me through deep snow, steep gravelly inclines and everything else the moutain terrain can throw at it. I loved the plaid upolstry, clinometer, and that it was "born" the same year I was, it just had so much novelty. But sadly, it broke down this winter but I would love to replace it with another tercel! Your pretty close to Seattle so I'd love to talk to you more about buying your gem. Let me know and maybe we can exchange phone numbers. :D
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Sold.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Seattle_Tercel_Lover wrote: But sadly, it broke down this winter but I would love to replace it with another tercel! so . :D

do you still have it?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Seattle_Tercel_Lover

Yup, I've still got it. And I'm the proud new owner of coltarms' tercel. It's an invaluable asset because now I have a parts car. What more could I ask for, same year and color! The only difference is that my new tercel has a windshield wiper and the old one didn't. So I'm assuming there might be some other slight differences but I don't know what they are. But I can swap any part! I may just keep buying tercels until they're extinct.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

a windshield wiper?
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'm guessing in the rear.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

ah!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Yeah, rear wiper/washer. I miss that car.... How did she do on the road to Seattle? If you decide to do a tune up or anyghing like that, the distributor cap and rotor are new as of April this year. The plugs are only 2 months old (but may be fouled) and the wires are 1 year old. She definitely could use a new air filter and a brake fluid flush and a rear diff fluid change. I drained and refilled the front diff/tranny with Valvoline Synthetic about 1 year ago, but I've only put about 8K or 9K miles on it since then.

Did you figure out the ski rack? Also, search this site for the writeups on using those Jeep springs for a lift. All you'll need is a hacksaw and a propane bottle torch head (to bend the spring end) to get those springs to fit. Just don't lift it too much or you'll be repacing ball joints......often.....

I forgot to give you the can of touch-up spray paint.....

:(

Now I know why my dad cried when his tercel died.....
Seattle_Tercel_Lover

She did great! I even took her up to Mt Hood to visit friends and the performance on hills is better than my first tercel. I got 33mpg on my first tank and 27 on the second (prolly because of mountain driving) which is also better than my first tercel. I'm really happy to have it. The trip back to seattle was uneventfully but I'm glad I'm glad there was a cd player in there.

But, last night when I got to my car after work one of the rear passenger windows (the one that doesn't roll down)was busted out and my stuff had been rifled through. Some punk kids stole about three packs of cigarettes out of my glove box but didn't touch the cd player cds or anything else. It was kinda weird. So I had already have a use for my spare tercel.

Thanks for the tips about a tune up. There was also something else I noticed. The steering sticks a little. Did it do this when you owned it? I haven't diagnosed the problem yet but if you know what it is and what part it is/how to fix it etc any help would be appreciated.

Other than that she's doing great. And you definitely found a good home for her. I'll prolly take better care of her than myself. :) And I cried when my first tercel died too, I wont let it happen again.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Your steering stick may be a shot lower u-joint in the steering shaft. Just went thru this on my 84. Not long ago it developed a bind/release that hit at the same spot in wheel position. U-joint rollers stopped rolling. Eventually they crumbled to dust and allowed some free play in the wheel. Figured it was time to worry at that point.

Now the early lower shafts are pinchbolted at the gear and at the other end of the lower shaft on the column side so you need to find an early one to replace just that piece. I found this out the hard way when I pulled a lower joint out of an 86 before comparing. They basically inverted the way the lower shaft was designed making them not compatible with each other at all. However the whole column can be swapped even though car-part.com says only 83-84 can be used. That ended up being my easiest/cheapest fix.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

That sucks about the window. Hard way to learn to hide your stuff in the way-back under the trunk cover. Should be easier to replace the glass than the door, though.

That steering shaft u-joint started squeaking a while back. Napa didn't list a replacement so I just shot it with some PB Blaster and it was fine. Maybe time to replace?

If your mileage falls anymore definitely look into new plugs. I made the mistake of running a tank of premium (fuel attendant with poor hearing) and she didn't like going back to regular. Maybe some deposits in the cylinders degrading the spark?

-Dave
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

coltarms wrote:That steering shaft u-joint started squeaking a while back. Napa didn't list a replacement so I just shot it with some PB Blaster and it was fine. Maybe time to replace?-Dave
If you keep some medium oil dripped on it now and then it will last indefinitely(?). They aren't cheap...Toyota or recyclers.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...