EPA has new mpg figures....

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

hberdan wrote:I think the only way to really compute your actual mileage is to chart at least ten-fifteen or more full tanks of gas, let's say 135-200 gallons, and then figure an average based on that. Doing it by the tank lends itself to many statistical errors.
Due to changing mpg with winter gas vs summer gas and other differencess...I try to use a 3 tank avg. This way I filter out some of the unusual situations.

This winter I'm managing around 29 mpg and maybe 33-34 in summer.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Do you want to pay for 2-300 miles on the freeway driving?
I drove around 400 miles in those trips to and from after my Grandpa passed. I averaged 40-46. HIGHWAY. HIGHWAY. HIGHWAY.
I've been getting 29-31 mpg with my everyday stuff.
I've kept track of most of my fillups for the past 10k plus. Maybe I'll move them to spreadsheet and post a copy. Don't hold me to it. Remember, I'm getting lazy with my logging >.< I need to pick back up on that.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

That's pretty good mileage! In fact that's incredible.
Is your carb leaned so far out that the engine will burn up? I've never heard of any Tercel ever getting anything close to that kind of mileage! Especially here in Colorado with all the altitude.
You go, Girl!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Girl....?
No. It was lean before. We fixed that. Its now running right.
Don't ask me. I'm just reporting what I'm getting. If it makes no sense to you, it probably doesn't to me either.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Typrus wrote:Girl....?No. It was lean before. We fixed that. Its now running right. Don't ask me. I'm just reporting what I'm getting. If it makes no sense to you, it probably doesn't to me either.
Some mpg gain might be from that moly laced oil you use...but that doesn't fully explain the high freeway mileage.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well,I'd expect the moly to be in charge if it was in the driveline components. Haven't made that step yet, though it is time.

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

actually too lean an air/fuel mix will result in poor gas milage, poor driveablity an even poor emisions output. Including MORE unburned hydrocarbons. When you do not get a hot combusion chamber you get incomplete combustion. You can tune the carb for max power, but going too rich will not get you more power. And you can tune for max fuel ecomony, but going too lean will not get you better MPG.

Typrus, is the only significant thing you have done to get that MPG is remove all of the vacume lines from the carb (diable the emmisions control equipment) and advanced the timing?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Too lean a mix is hard to fire...reducing power and mpg? Too rich a mix just wastes gas?

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I suppose. Indexed plugs might play a part, as well as regular cleanings and mis-grade (she doesn't run happy on regular)

coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Well, I just took a trip down to Newport with the Badd Turkle. Avg'd 32mpg. Total distance was about 240mi. Approx temp 50-60deg. Avg speed 55mph. Terrain was hilly, up and down in both directions. Not too shabby, eh?