Tell me "your story"

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
vinz8

Tell me "your story"

Post by vinz8 »

All Tercel owners have "their story" to tell, about that one long trip/ride/drive where the Tercel was great to you, and that memory is fond in your heart.

I don't have a Tercel anymore (unfortunately). My parents sold it at 290xxx km when I moved out 3 years ago. It was a 1986 Tercel SR5 stationwagon in blue, automatic. They bought it brand new. My dad gave it to me in 2000. I really didn't appreciate the car and it's great reliability until much later on. I miss that car quite a bit now.

My dream now, is to later buy another Tercel and do a higher performance engine swap in it. I don't know when this will happen, it might take 5 years, but it's a goal of mine.

This is my story:

There was a sale going on in Ikea, where they had cabinets for sale. It was a nice hot summer day in Vancouver, and my brother and I needed a new cabinet to store our scale models and such. So we drove down to Richmond, and got the cabinets. My brother wanted the larger one, I got the smaller one.
We realized that we couldn't put the cabinets on top of the car, because I didn't have the equipment to do so. My dad used to paint signs, so we had the racks on top of the car. My dad used to carry his ladders all the time on top of the car. Unfortunately, I didn't have the rope that day to tie up the cabinets.
So we threw the cabinets inside of the Tercel. And they fit longitudinally... barely. I had to put the rear seats down, and they slid in, all the way to the transmission. Unfortunately, they blocked my vision to the right. Thankfully, my brother was there and he looked and saw for me. It was kinda wierd, not being able to see half of the car.
In case you were wondering, yes, it was safe. It was a clear Saturday, there was not too many cars, it was nice and sunny, and a very safe drive.
When I got back home, I remarked at how great and reliable that car was. How it had so much space in the back, and it didn't fail me.
It still warms my heart to think of that today. I will get another one, eventually.

Do tell your story!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

December 18th, 2005. Vancouver, WA - Hillsboro, OR.

My fiancee and I were attending the wedding of one of her friends. As my fiancee was one of the bridesmaids, we had to stay until the very end and then help clean up the reception hall. The snow had started coming in around 4:30 pm and the ice started around 5:00. We finally left the reception hall at around 7:00pm. We had to drive from Vancouver to Hillsboro in about 4" of wet snow over sheer ice. I drove 5 south to 217 north (the 26W tunnel was gridlocked) at about 40mph without losing control or getting stuck. I then had to make my way through the back streets of Beaverton all the way to Hillsboro. Again, not a single issue. I was the only car around (other than the WRX's that were out playing) that had no problem starting off from a dead stop heading up hill. We made it home safe and sound. Too bad I didn't have the studs on the back or else I would have gone out to play too!

After that night, my Fiancee never spoke of ill of the Badd Turlke again.

-Dave
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

I left for work one day. The snow plows had just been down my road leaving a nice bank on each side of the road.

I realized I forgot my smokes at home.

Turned into one of those driveways (yeah, right) that farmers use to get into their fields. There's a guy in a Chevy S-10 coming down the road and he sees my headlights disappear into the snow. AND I KEEP GOING!!!

The look on his face when I threw it into 4WD and backed out of that snow like it wasn't even there was absolutely priceless!!

Another day a couple years ago I was working in Crookston. I live in St Hilaire about 45 miles away. The previous night it had started raining. This normally isn't a problem unless the temp is sitting 2 degrees below freezing.

So there's about an inch to two inches of perfectly flat glare ice everywhere. I mean, to the point that standing, let alone walking, was next to impossible. But the little turtle drove the whole distance (sometimes pushing 65mph) with absolutely NO problem at all, much to the amazement of my carpoolers. Two of them had already called in to work saying they weren't going to make it because their ride wouldn't get there.

Needless to say, they were rather apologetic about doubting my little rustbucket when I pulled up in their driveway and got them to work safely and on time!! :lol:
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
Don Jorgensen
Advanced Member

Post by Don Jorgensen »

Tercel wagons have been a part of my life for many years and have always delivered the goods. Anything from hauling construction materials and supplies to carrying 3 kayaks, 1 canoe, a big dog, 5 people and a big cooler on the return leg of a float trip, the cars have always come through. If you are wondering... you lay the back seats down, 1 kayak, cooler, dog, 2 kids and gear in the back, then put 2 kayaks on the roof rack then lay paddles down and put the 16 foot canoe on top of that. Can't go very fast but it was a head turner.
Most recently I had my sons-in-law and brother-in-law out for some New Mexico BLM backroad cruisin. On the way back from Cabezon Peak, there was a set of tracks leading up to and over a 150 foot tall hill/hump that had some over 30 degree parts near the summit. The SR5 responded in 4WD EL and accelerator to the floor on the last 30 feet. My daughters and wify in the 03 Subaru Forester saw the whole thing and were laughing and trying to position themselves for video and stills that sadly didn't turn out...but WHAT FUN and Memories
new purchase 87 DLX Wagon FWD 126,000
Daily Driver 86 SR5 4WD 252,000 miles and rolling
94 Previa 175,000 Sold
93 Corolla 248,000 Confiscated
past 86 DLX Wagon FWD 298,000 rusted away
85 Wagon FWD 195,000 T-boned and expired
bryanthompsondesign.com

Post by bryanthompsondesign.com »

I love this thread! These are great stories. Some of you have read mine before but here is a short version:

The first time I saw a Tercel 4WD I was 8 years old and it was the most modern thing I'd ever seen. It was spinning around on a turn-table at Scott Toyota in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was the brochure car; a blue and silver SR5 with plaid seats, aluminum wheels, a sunroof and a clinometer. I fell in love with it. I thought it looked like a space-ship. My parents were casually looking for a car but I totally pitched a fit and refused to get out of the wagon until they traded in our '78 Chevy Caprice Classic and we drove home in the Tercel. Over the years my family had so many great memories in that car and it had a big influence on my design style. Years later, after I became a car designer myself, I researched and found the car (not one like it; THE actual car) abandoned in a ditch in Idaho. I pulled it out in the dead of winter and dragged it home across country. Now it's mine again and I'm slowly restoring it to its former glory.

Viva Tercel!

Here's a link to pictures and a column I write about design and my favorite old-school Japanese cars:
http://www.bravotv.com/blog/designblog/ ... cars_1.php
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
vinz8

Post by vinz8 »

Great stories everyone!

bryanthompsondesign: That's AWESOME. Much respect for finding it again, and restoring it.

My mom saw our Tercel about a year ago. She didn't see the new owner, but my mom said it was "like seeing an old friend" when she saw it.

I really gotta get that car back...
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I thought this would be nice to share. At first I thought I didn't have any interesting stories to tell, but then I remembered about my old '83 Tercel 4WD.

Speaking of these cars' reliability, mine was a perfect example. To give the background of the car. It was in really bad shape - the engine had issues, I believe the head/block was cracked, the clutch was gone, the front suspension was gone, the rear brakes were worn to the point of "grinding," and it seemed like something was loose in the front end. There were many more issues, but I think you get the idea. So, one day my dad had to drive this car on a 60-mile round trip because he had no other car at that time. The clutch was bad enough that it would grind or refuse to get into 1st gear and would chatter a lot. It was gutless and was scary going down the freeway at 70 mph, in fact I was surprised because it was really bogging down in 4th gear; it wouldn't pull in 5th, it was too weak. It made it through and came back home, I was very surprised because it could have hydrolocked any minute. Even though it seemed as if it were falling apart, it was quite solid, the body had almost no rust and besides the mechanical issues it could still keep going for a very long time.

Sadly, my dad sold it about a year ago. It had 223k miles on it. I really miss it, but my dad has seen it running again, perhaps someday I can get it back. A good portion of my memories are riding in that car...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

My first sighting of one of these was in 1986. I was walking home (taking a shortcut through the local 4WD trails) and here's this 86 stuck in the mud. It only had about 1000 miles on it.

The two guys driving were panicking because it was their mom's car and they were supposed to be only going to the corner store (in the neighboring town) to get something.

I sauntered over and asked them if they needed any help.

They looked at me and asked, "What are you going to do that we haven't?"

"I live here. I know these trails better than my own bedroom. I walk through them in the pitch black in dress shoes and get home clean."

"Give it a shot."

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the car responded when I threw it into 4WD (it was an auto), turned the front wheels all the way over, and just let the engine idle with a little bit of gas. The front wheels grabbed just enough to get the rears onto the center hump (it was high-centered in the tire ruts) and out it came. I then told them exactly where to drive so they wouldn't get stuck again. I graphically demonstrated with two large rocks. One made the distinct "ka-plump" of deep water departure. The other made the "splat" of shallow water. The two points of impact were less than a foot apart.

I walked the track that they should take and told them if they deviated either way more than about 6 inches they'd have water coming in the doors.

They followed me for about 300 yards and I wasn't kind to them. The driver got a full-on workout on the steering wheel, but they made it out. For my trouble they gave me a ride the rest of the way home and enough "thank you's" to last me a lifetime.

I was VERY impressed at the 4WD capability and the turning radius of the car and vowed I would own one one day. I have owned one, but sadly the one I bought was on its last legs when I got it and has only gotten worse. Mechanically this car has another 50,000 or more miles left in it, but the chassis has rusted out to the point I no longer feel safe using it as a daily driver.
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
neonsport
Top Notch Member

Post by neonsport »

My story involves my first Tercel wagon, an 84 2WD with an automatic. It was given to me in 1993 by an acquaintance after he abandoned it in hourly parking at RDU airport for over 3 months. I figured out how to get it out for $7, but that's another story. It cost me $75 to get the charging system problem fixed, and I drove it 60k miles over the next year.

I was buying and selling vintage guitars at shows all over the country back then. I'd be in Cleveland one weekend, Dallas the next, and Kansas City the one after that. It was loads of fun, and I did get to meet a bunch of cool guys. When you're carrying thousands of dollars in musical equipment on the road, the last thing you can allow is a breakdown. Somewhere, I've got photos of the car, filled to the headliner, with amps tied on the roof rack, and the suspension nearly bottomed out. Somehow, through all the abuse, the old Tercel just rolled happily along, with a bad alternator the only casualty of the entire year. I have particularly warm memories of a nasty blizzard in Kentucky in which I was plowing through nearly a foot of snow on the interstate, just trying to find a motel with a vacancy. I wish I'd never sold her, and if I ever see that old car again, I'll buy her back.

BTW, my current Tercel is at 337k miles and some change (as of today). I click over an average of about 800 miles a week. I'm sure she has plenty of stories left in her.