Front Struts question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Looks like all you need to do is replace the cartridge. Mine looked exactly like yours does. That's what I did. I believe I used Monroe Sensatrac's Did you say that your strut tower broke?
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Not the tower, the upper mounting block. Its mostly a solid block of rubber with a metal caps top and bottom, the bottom one has a bearing in it. The rubber block split between the two caps.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Try to post a pic, I have no idea what you're talking aobut.... I don't remember seeing it when I did mine....
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Yes. You take off the gland nut up top, drain the nasty oil, remove the original assembly, wipe it down if you like, then the new sealed cartridge should just slide right in. Make sure to bolt it firmly down, and make sure you properly tighten the upper mount/bearing. Its difficult to do with the strut rod un-captured (it just rotates) but there is a small place to grip with a wrench if you can get to it. Its a pain in the butt, but can be done. If you keep something too loose, you will get annoying/intimidating clunks.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

OK coltarms, this is for you.

The view from the bottom

The view from the top, those three studs are the ones you see at the top of the strut tower when you open the hood.

The view you don't want to see.

BTW, I ordered a pair of KYB GR-2 inserts tonight with 2nd day delivery so I can install them this weekend. I'll do pics.
jammin1911
Top Notch Member

Post by jammin1911 »

I'd love to see this pics, I was going to replace my shocks but if its cheaper to just rebuild them I might as well go with that route.

what are the cartridges worth? a nice pictoral of the install would be incredible :D

is there other things that I should buy and replace also? any seals, etc?

I want to do all 4 springs and struts this summer.. it really ticks me off at how complicated it is to get nice fitting springs for the rear of this thing...
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Australia man. Pedders brings them up here, stock height or what is likely 20mm raised. Your choice. I dunno yet what I'll go for.

Had I not posted pics of when that happened to me, WHILE DRIVING?

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

if your going to rebuild, ensure you replace the seals and use proper suspension fluid, it can be found at motorcylcle shops, or on the redline oil website.
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
jammin1911
Top Notch Member

Post by jammin1911 »

is replacing the seals relatively straight forward?
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Well, i think this would be a good time to get a new assy from a JY. I don't remember seeing those pieces come apart. My swap was straight forward: compress springs, remove assy from vehicle, loosen strut retaining nut, remove spring retainer and spring, remove threaded cartridge retainer, remove cartridge, add antisieze (or grease) to outside of new cartridge, install new cartridge (but don't "crack it open" yet), install cartridge retainer, install spring and retainer, crack open cartridge, install strut retaining nut, tighten all, reinstall into vehicle.

This a bummer, man, it's a bummer.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Whats a bummer. Just go buy the new Strut Tower Bearing from NAPA.
Item#: NCP2613088

keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

What do you mean by "crack it open".
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

The struts I got were gas charged, but fully compressed. In in order to extend them I had to turn the piston 1/4 turn. If you do that before mocking up the assembly it's a biznitch to get it to go together. LEarned the same lesson in high school with an Accord......
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

coltarms -
When you write "struts," you actually are referring to the "cartridges" that are inserted into the struts, right?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Strut housing holds the strut cartridge, combined with the coilover spring= one Strut Assembly, AKA "Strut"
Most people refer to the cartridge as the strut when out of the assembly. The Strut Rod inside of the Strut Cartridge that is inserted into the Strut Housing is fully compressed for shipping and the rod requires 1/4 turn inside of the cartridge in order to deploy it.

He means the cartridge, I'm sure.