Color coded vacuum diagram

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
AbusedJalopy

Post by AbusedJalopy »

I made this in photoshop to help make the vacuum wiring in our car a bit easier. It's hard to follow the one from the manual because the rails all seem to mesh together and you have to follow them by hand, and even then it's easy to accidently be one line over. This may not work for everyone since this is the one labeled Federal, so it has the HAC. I have made all lines that are connected the same color, so it's easier to track down leaks. For example, if you perform a vacuum test on the yellow line and it shows a leak, then it could be the VTV, the Throttle Positioner, the S/W vacuum switch, or any of the tubing in yellow. Hope this helps some of you out and hopefully it doesn't show up too small or doesn't show at all. If you print it, try to zoom in and only print the center out. It makes it a lot easier to see.

'84 Tercel SR5 4wd<br>Los Angeles, CA
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Easy to see...biggest pic I've seen in a while. I've got the Cal setup...but it's interesting that the EGR is tied to the dist by way of the TVSV. Still don't understand it all..... :rolleyes:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

AbusedJalopy

Post by AbusedJalopy »

Yeah it took me quite a while to figure it out and it was one of the more intimidating things on the car, but after being forced to fix it for smog, I've learned alot. It seems as the distributor advance and EGR are linked so they both don't fully operate until the engine warms up and the TVSV allows the vacuum flow, or something like that. It's all accurate though. I made sure I double checked with the other flow diagrams and by looking at the car itself.
'84 Tercel SR5 4wd<br>Los Angeles, CA
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

Most of this gear is missing from my Tercel when the Weber was put in.

What's the thing that the vacuum advance for the distributor hooks into?

I've got mine hooked to the side of the Weber. Is there such a thing as too much vacuum advance?

If so, then I can hook that particular line back up quite simply...
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
Retroloc1
Advanced Member

Post by Retroloc1 »

IMO, that's no longer a Tercel !
i mean I love my Tercels as simple easy-to fix small cars.
"Our" models have no EGR, no air pump, no Cat no nothing !
Just a classic carb, a polluting choke a points ignition and "basta"
Taht's also why they're so nice...
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

BUMP!
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew