squeezing a little bit of hp from the old engine

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

squeezing a little bit of hp from the old engine

Post by shogun »

well im sumped, since the class im competig in autocross is for stock engines, and i play by the book, i looked for the best way to bolt on power so here is what i ended up with, an underdrive pulley, the original pulley was 1450 grams and the new one made from billet weighs 196, and it is 25% underdriven, i hope to get good results from this modification, in unothodox web page i read that every pound lost there yields about 2.5 hp the total weigh savings were 2.7 pounds

some pics of the process

tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

How much was that?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

watch out for those pulleys, my friend just took one off his car because it burnt out his alternator and wore out his serpentine belt because it was constantly slipping.

I've also heard mixed reports of spun bearings too.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i made it so it was cheap about 50 dollars i guess, since this is for a vbelt design there is not much trouble, as for the alternator the underdrive is just enough so it works properly

ill post pictures of the install
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Nice! I need something like that for my MR2.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

terceldude wrote:...I need some for that engine swap I want to have put in or do the swap myself, depending upon the difficulty of the process.
I thought you were in Toyota's program to develop techs?
Which is your participating college?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

here are the pics of the install, the car feels like it revs a lot faster, but times on sunday will tell me

removed the radiator and lossen the old pulley

belt is off, then i used an extractor to get the pulley off

the pulley installed, just put everything back on
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

shogun wrote:i made it so it was cheap about 50 dollars i guess, since this is for a vbelt design there is not much trouble, as for the alternator the underdrive is just enough so it works properly

ill post pictures of the install
check the voltage at the battery when its idling, his was about 10V, so the alternator was working at maximum capacity to charge the battery all the time, overheated and died. the slipping was a seperate issue that wore out his belt whenever he accelerated.

I beleive at idle you should have something like 13 volts.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i get 14 volts from 800 upwards