Raingutter paint repair

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
LauraVella

Raingutter paint repair

Post by LauraVella »

Hi everyone. I have a 1984 4wd tercel. The raingutters are in good repair, but most all the black paint has come off all along the drivers winow to the back window. I did take a razor to try to get it all off, some came off easily, the rest is still attached, looks awful. Is this regular black paint? seems very thick to me.

Anyway, the passanger side raingutters have no paint loss at all, so it looks rather funny with one side painted and the other side mostly chrome.

Has anyone repainted or replaced their raingutters? Can anyone suggest the right type of paint to use that is durable on this metal against the elements? I love this site, you guys are great-Thanks! :D
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

A method I have been thinking of exploring is the use of a wide adhesive "striping tape" on those affected gutters; has anyone tried this?
Repainting might be fruitless, as it would seem difficult to get over-the-counter paint to adhere to the smooth surface; it would seem the OE treatment is more of a "coating" than a paint.
Wonder what HomeSkool used on his brilliant yellow car?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

I used this method on all my gutter trim, front window trim and windshileld wiper arms a couple of months ago. So far so good...

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1688878

The paint I used was matte black Tremclad Rust Paint. Looks good from a distance, not terrific up close if you know what you're looking for, but a nice improvement.

http://www.rustoleum.com/brand.asp?frm_ ... d=41&SBL=5
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I've had good luck with Tremclad (Rust-Oleum here) Satin finish on wiper arms and the ilk. I think the Satin gives a very slight, not-quite-gloss finish, which I preferred to the matte finish - also less likely to "scratch/mar" when rubbed.
I just did not think any paint would stick too well to the bright smooth chromey trim.
I'm going to try it (with R-O's plastic primer) on the big plastic doohickey on the tailgate, as much of it is virtually white from exposure. Maybe then try the same on the big side rub strips...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I have used some of the plastic trim tape made for trim...problem with it is that it will shrink...a lot.

The original coating is plastic of some kind.

I've found that black vinyl electrical tape actually works better...espec the thinner tape I used. It was wider and had less mils....thickness.

Also...Krylon satin finish black outdoor paint works OK...might need to be done every 2-3 years or so though.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I am just taking all the black off and leaving them chrome. That's just me though....
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
LauraVella

Post by LauraVella »

Good ideas everyone! I will experiment on some of these remedies- thanks again. :D