TITS....Turbocharged Intercooled Tercel Stationwagon

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
joope

Post by joope »

My '87 tercel wagon is turbocharged and it has an intercooler. Unfortunately I bought it like this and I'm no mechanic so I can't relly be of assistance with your projects. I just wanted to say that it obviously CAN be done and the turbotercel moves like a rocket. Much much faster than my 128 hp Camry. It doesn't really affect normal driving but if for example I floor the gas in third gear, the tires start to skid when the car reaches 80 km/h. After that it's more about traction than power.
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Post by Rasmus »

I thought our trannies broke when too much power was thrown at them?

- R
I love my tercel :)
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i would like pics and vids too,

aussie have you made your mind on what to use for an exhaust manifold???

i have some ideas illtry to do if i can get my welder working properly
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
joope

Post by joope »

viewtopic.php?p=16450#16450

I don't have any video at the moment.

I'm absolutely positively without a doubt one hundred percent sure any tranny will fail when too much power is thrown at it. The REAL question is, "how much is too much?" I don't really know. All I can say is that it hasn't broken yet. What I do know is that my engine was measured to have 170 hp after the turbo was installed, but the clutch was slipping.
So:
1. A turbo Tercel can have more than 170 hp.
2. The stock clutch can't handle that much power.

Presently my car has a sintered clutch, which doesn't slip as easily, but that makes it a real pain in city traffic and is definitely not good for off-road driving.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I would think that TORQUE (and not HP) would be the biggest killer of any tranny. As Most turbo's don't necessarily boost torque, I would think that the transmission would be safe. Still, 170HP at the ground seems like a possible 200HP at the flywheel, which seems a bit crazy for the Tercel.....
joope

Post by joope »

I'm no expert when it comes to cars, but isn't hp a product of torque and rpm?
The way I see it, the torque is exactly what the turbo boosts, the redline at 6k is the same with or without a turbo. I for one like my car way too much to rev beyond 6k.

In my opinion, the turbo in my Tercel very much boosts the high-end torque, while the low-end is only slightly more powerful than stock.

Like I said, the stock clutch cannot handle such torque, modifications are required. And I would not be the least bit surprised if my tranny exploded some day. I would not dare to floor the gas pedal if I didn't have another tranny already.

More power always results in more wear and tear, that is obvious. I don't know how long a Tercel can stand this much power. I don't really plan on finding out either. I just wanted a rust-free Tercel with few kilometers, I didn't really want a "sleeper" The best Tercel just happened to have a turbo. My goal is to keep the Tercel going for years and years, but let me tell you, once you feel the turbo yank your head back, you get addicted.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i believe too the torque is the one that kills the transmissions, how much boost r u running, as far as my calculations go you could safely boost the car to up to 10 psi with every thing stock except admision (bigger rejetted carb)

also take inmind the flow capability of our heads, a friend of mine did the numbers and raising port volume 15 % which is the most you can expect without welding the head you can only flos like 280 cfm
which is like 240 hp excessive for our cars but should be fun to try though

expenssive too
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
joope

Post by joope »

shogun wrote:i believe too the torque is the one that kills the transmissions, how much boost r u running, as far as my calculations go you could safely boost the car to up to 10 psi with every thing stock except admision (bigger rejetted carb)

also take inmind the flow capability of our heads, a friend of mine did the numbers and raising port volume 15 % which is the most you can expect without welding the head you can only flos like 280 cfm
which is like 240 hp excessive for our cars but should be fun to try though

expenssive too
The maximum boost is way past 10 psi, about 1 bar, which equals about 14 psi. Your calculations may very well be correct, 14 psi of boost definitely does not feel safe.

The local laws only allow a 20% increase in power, so my Tercel is officially street legal up to only 2.9 psi.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

nice boosting 1 bar its on the very limit, my calculations are very very conservative, nice car, but for every one else who wants to turbo their cars my turbo picks are

garrett 0.42/0.48 comes in saabs i believe
t25 nissan and some eclipses
ct11 toyota unit
tc04 i have a couple of those

all of these turbos come wastegated at around 7-9 psi so no mods needed

but if you want to raise boost shorten the actuator leg if less boost is needed lengthen the actuator leg
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

finally back

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

hey guys i finnaly got back on the net. god damn rip off dodgy ADSL in australia. yeh so turbo tercels been suspended at the moment due to money restrictions and turbos are so hard to find. for the exhaust manifold i was gonna do the good ol j-bend pipe but then i will have problems with it hitting the steereing column. hey did anyone else have that problem when they put there 4A into a tercel?? i had to drive open header to the city to get a pipe made. sooo loud. the carby mods are nearly completed. im just about satisfied with the amount of pressure it would take and now need to properly design a metal hose to fit over the top of it which will be fed by the turbo.a the whole engine has to come out at the moment to replace a broken right side engine mount. after a day of 4wdin i hit a kurb and not realising that the left engine mount bolt had sheared so thats not in good condition plus the front right hub bearing has collapsed cause i took the CV's out to go RWD drifting. btw the terk in rwd with a big set of tyres has incredibly precise sliding control. on a wet day around a roundabout i maintained a whole turn with a slift slide angle. was impressed. anyway will keep yall updated with turbo terc
84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

niice, when you race bearings are the most changer pieces, i dunno why i have changed 2 times bearings on the time ive had my carbon pads
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by gatemaster »

It would be nice if someone could put together a sticky detailing a turbo install in our cars. It looks to be a better option than expensive parts and mods with much better results. I saw that K&N sells a hat looking air cleaner with a snorkel for the weber although it was over priced. I saw a cheaper version somewhere but can't remember the site. It would be nice to have a turbo blow through a weber.
An engines potential to produce power is based
mostly on it's cylinder head design.
Mickey_D
Top Notch Member

Post by Mickey_D »

Coltarms, what rating were you? I was an FC on the Seasparrow and CIWS.
1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4 SR5 (sold to splatterdog).

A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed, "To whom it may concern"!!
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

so did ausie turbo his tercel???????

i believe thats what we were talking about
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Cleanup

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Hey Guys,

Well, as many of you noticed, this thread had spiraled out of control and completely off topic. I've just spent the last 1/2 hour cleaning it up. I felt it was worth the effort. The fellow who was causing about 90% of the issues here has now been banned from the forum. I appologize for any offense that was caused. This really is a great forum with good people, please stick around and participate (if you were among a few of the new members who may have doubts about the forum). We've only really had problems with two people over the life of the forum, so we've done quite well really.

So, lets keep this thread on topic from now on. It's a good one.

Thanks!

Nick
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73