Valve Adjustment

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Valve Adjustment

Post by coltarms »

Read Takza's writeup. I have one questoin; what is the advantage of adjusting the valves when they are hot vs when they are cold? The clearance specs in the manual are for cold readings.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Valve Adjustment

Post by xirdneh »

coltarms wrote:Read Takza's writeup. I have one questoin; what is the advantage of adjusting the valves when they are hot vs when they are cold? The clearance specs in the manual are for cold readings.
All i can do is relate my experiences. Whenever i have adjusted valves on a cold engine the valves became noisy after forty or so miles of driving.
The engines were all overhead cam.
After rebuilding an engine it is necessary to redo the valve adjustment after the engine has been driven a few times. The warming and cooling must cause some kind of settling in to occur.
Some of the valves get tight and some loose. If they get tight and do not get adjusted they will turn into "burnt valves" some time in the future.

Doing the adjustment on a hot engine is the final thing to get it right.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Kinda what I figured, just wanted a second opinion. Thanks!
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

any body tried to set a little tighter the valve lash, so it is more stable in high rpms, im trying to get a number, in my colt i use 0.005 tighter without loosing compression and it revs a lot better, by the way does the fsm have a hot valve adjust numbers
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

The FSM gives specs for a hot engine. This is the normal valve adjustment procedure. The cold specs are for initial adjustment when reassembling the engine. It should be followed by a hot adjustment after firing the engine and getting it up to temp.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I have the copy of the manual that is floating around this site and I didn't see a hot adjustment spec in it. Could you please tell me what it is?
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

coltarms wrote:I have the copy of the manual that is floating around this site and I didn't see a hot adjustment spec in it. Could you please tell me what it is?
just going on memory here
on a hot engine
i believe its .008 inch for intake valves
and .011 inch for exhaust

i think its listed in the maintence section of the first part manual
it may also be in the rebuild engine section
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

In the FSM its in at least two places, maybe more. On pages MA-8 and MA-9, also on page EM-33. Clearances (hot) are .008 and .012.
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

Danger i n reducing clearance

Post by kamiphloj »

I was trying to absorb experience reading these old ones.Came across the practice of reducing valve clearance.
Valves ,particularly exhaust,need an opportunity to lose heat.Reducing valve clearance reduces time available for heat transfer to seat. kamiphloj
Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Be careful, overtightening valves can also burn them out......