Carb and O2 Sensor...83

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
bobdavid

Carb and O2 Sensor...83

Post by bobdavid »

Forgive this newbee...but my 83 4WD Wagon seems to be running awful rich...black plugs, oil gets dirty quick, poor gas mileage. With over 350k on the original engine, I am guessing my O2 sensor is shot. Would a bad O2 sensor lead to a rich mix? Could this be as simple as replacing the O2 sensor?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Probably in the carb? Check the sight glass in front? New float and inlet valve needed?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Carb and O2 Sensor...83

Post by xirdneh »

bobdavid wrote:Forgive this newbee...but my 83 4WD Wagon seems to be running awful rich...black plugs, oil gets dirty quick, poor gas mileage. With over 350k on the original engine, I am guessing my O2 sensor is shot. Would a bad O2 sensor lead to a rich mix? Could this be as simple as replacing the O2 sensor?

how much oil are you going through? maybee the engine needs re-ringing.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
T-Bone
Top Notch Member

Re: Carb and O2 Sensor...83

Post by T-Bone »

xirdneh wrote:
bobdavid wrote:Forgive this newbee...but my 83 4WD Wagon seems to be running awful rich...black plugs, oil gets dirty quick, poor gas mileage. With over 350k on the original engine, I am guessing my O2 sensor is shot. Would a bad O2 sensor lead to a rich mix? Could this be as simple as replacing the O2 sensor?

how much oil are you going through? maybee the engine needs re-ringing.
yeah, if the rings are bad you will get a lot of blowby and that will make the oil get dirty really fast.
Daily Driver:
1988 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD
3AC 2BBl Downdraft Carb
Project Car:
1993 Honda Del Sol Si
D16Z6 Head/Block
D16A1 Pistons (C/R 12.3:1)
bobdavid

carb and O2 sensor...83

Post by bobdavid »

Ice -

The engine still does not use a full quart between 3k oil changes.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The O2 sensor isn't very important in our cars. It only controls an air-feed as far as I know.
It is cheap at about $25 and is easy to swap (providing your bolts aren't seized).
You may be looking more towards a re-ring and carb rebuild.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew