Vapor Lock

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Vapor Lock

Post by Ogedei »

I am suffering bad.
I drive like a champ in the cool mountains and die in the hot city.

Things I was looking to do for cheap, looking for other options

replace thermostat I seem to be getting pretty hot, water pump is more likely my culprit though

replace fuel filter

I have I think an electronic fuel pump. Any ideas?
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Vapor Lock

Post by xirdneh »

Ogedei wrote:I am suffering bad.
I drive like a champ in the cool mountains and die in the hot city.

Things I was looking to do for cheap, looking for other options

replace thermostat I seem to be getting pretty hot, water pump is more likely my culprit though

replace fuel filter

I have I think an electronic fuel pump. Any ideas?
not sure what the fuel pump would have to do with car running hot.
i have done battle with two of these cars that ran hot. one had a blown head gasket but after i replaced it it still ran hot. turned out to be the thermostat on both cars. new thermostats made the car run cool for a week or two then they went back to being hot. finally got a better (i guess) thermostat in there and they are ok now. hope yours is that simple.
waterpump pully should not wiggle. if it is tight i doubt that is the problem.
we have had these cars since 1988 (5 of them) and have never had a bad waterpump.
clogged radiator has happened twice. both were original radiators with lots of miles on them.
currently have beck/arnly thermostats
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

Fuel pump may overcome vapor lock

I know I need to do something about the heat can not shelve the car every june to sept

others have found larger radiators maybe that is the path i take.

one part at a time i guess
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

<vent>I have never seen a waterpump setup like this and since it did not match the manual I am not so sure it is stock.

The thermostat was located on the lower radiator hose and the water pump when the manual says differently. The water pump has an outlet directly to the upper radiator hose mouting. So why would you not push all the water through the engine you can why offer a relief valve?</vent>

So now I need a new gasket since I removed the top hose mount first to replace the thermo whic was not there.

How would a blown head gasket cause over heating?
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Cause a lean mixture perhaps.
A puller fuel pump like ours has a tendency to create vapor more easily. Liquids become a vapor under a vacuum very easily. I pusher fuel pump like most cars have (the ones in the fuel tank) are far less likely to create vapor as liquids under pressure are far more resistant to vaporization.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

How would a blown head gasket cause over heating?[/quote]

if the gasket is blown in a manner that allows exhaust gases to be forced into cooling system thus adding extra heat to cooling system. the car will lose coolant. sometimes fast sometimes slow loss.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

[quote="Ogedei"]<vent>I have never seen a waterpump setup like this and since it did not match the manual I am not so sure it is stock.

The thermostat was located on the lower radiator hose and the water pump when the manual says differently.

i wonder what manual you have?
all tercels i've seen have the thermostat at the lower hose attachment