A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Chris
Top Notch Member

A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket

Post by Chris »

I am in need of an A/C-Alternator mounting bracket for an 86 Tercel. It needs to fit the "clamshell" type alternator. The brackets on my 83 and 84 parts cars are for the older style alternator and won't fit. I'd like to get the A/C in this car by the first weekend in June and the bracket is the only thing holding me up. Any help will be appreciated.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket

Post by xirdneh »

[quote="Chris"]I am in need of an A/C-Alternator mounting bracket for an 86 Tercel. It needs to fit the "clamshell" type alternator.

i may have one but i'm not sure if its the one you need. i'm not familiar with the differnt brackets.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket

Post by xirdneh »

[quote="Chris"]I am in need of an A/C-Alternator mounting bracket for an 86 Tercel. It needs to fit the "clamshell" type alternator.

the air cond/alt mount i have is for a clamshell alternator. assuming that clamshell means two mounting ears on the alternator with about a 2-1/2 - 3" gap between
its a heavy unit
i do not know what year tercel it came from
you can have it for shipping costs
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

hendrix...thanks for the reply....sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner...I've been in CO doing a job. I am not sure of the measurement at this time, as I am not at home. I will check this afternoon and measure the mounting space then get back to you. I wish I knew how to post a photo..

Thanks again
Chris
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

Chris wrote:hendrix...thanks for the reply....sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner...I've been in CO doing a job. I am not sure of the measurement at this time, as I am not at home. I will check this afternoon and measure the mounting space then get back to you. I wish I knew how to post a photo..

Thanks again
Chris

last evening i measured the alternater mounting spot at abt 2-9/16" wide
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

Unfortunately that sounds like the bracket for the older external regulator style alternator. That style has an external cooling fan mounted just behind the drive pulley. The bracket that I need is for the internal regulator alternator that has the cooling fan mounted internal of of the alternator case. The mounting for the alternator has a spread of about 2 1/4".

Thanks for the time and effort you took in checking for me.

Chris
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Heh.... When I swapped engines, I couldn't splice the internal-style into the 84's setup, so I tried to put the external on the 86's bracket... After getting EVERYTHING into the compartment, I had to take the AC Compressor out (pain in the ass) and I think the starter as well, then swap brackets. May not sound like much, but after a day of wrenching and hoping for that first crank, it was near the last straw.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

So Typrus...do you have an internal alt/AC bracket laying around collecting dust ? If so, let me know. Thanks