My first post in the forum, thought id make it good.

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Electric Snake

My first post in the forum, thought id make it good.

Post by Electric Snake »

I have not had this much fun in a logng time. I got this little bastard for $100 and ive been driving it a mile to work and back every day. I decided to take it out with a couple of freinds and see what we could do. I just did a quick tune up on it ( it has 310k miles on the origional engine!) and got it running really nice.

Everyting was going smoothly up until this point.

The little 155/70/13s did absolutely nothing to help the situation.

I made 2 passes at the ditch in question, and on the third, disaster struck and i got stuck in a really deep rut. A local in an F250 was more than happy to help, and had no idea that they made a tercel 4wd. He took a couple pics of it as well!

Out again, and filthy!

After I was out. This stuff was pretty deep and soft.

Then we went and checked out approach and departure angles. New bumpers are on the drafting board as we speak.

All in all, I am happy with my purchase. The VWs are long gone, and this car seems to be serving me well. Im getting some larger tires (winterforce m/s) and some homade bumpers, and i think i will have even more fun with it. Pictures of more wacky 4x4 action to come!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I think you got a bargain for $100. I carry a snatch strap around with me for those sort of situations where perhaps I have been just a little to adventureous? There's alllways a few 4wd drivers around that are more than happy to pull you out of the way if your allready set up
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
JOE
Advanced Member

Post by JOE »

Where abouts do you live? Thats some pretty wet looking ground!! Looks like fun to get stuck in though. Wouldn't mind going through that on my Quad and getting totally plastered in it.
1985 4wd 493000kms. Semi-retired since 1990 Corolla SR5 4wd purchase. 174000kms.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

First thing I'd do is to drain and refill the trans with 4 quarts of good gear oil...it's a weak spot...espec doing the offroading thing.

Need some specific info on doing this...there are 3 drain plugs.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

That kind of mud will kill wheel bearings. But it is fun. :)
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

as you mentioned the wheel bearings, Unimogs actually use air pressurized axles to prevent water entering the axles, Maybe you could tap into to the axle and pressurize it heh. cap of the vent and it will actually pressurize itself to a degree. until you start blowing oil out the seals. ARB lockers will do that if the locker seal fails.
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
1987 Toyota Parts Van 4x4
1981/2000 International S1724/4700 CrewCab T444e
1974 Wellcraft Airsolt (Boat)
ASE Master Auto Tech.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Soutthpaw wrote:as you mentioned the wheel bearings, Unimogs actually use air pressurized axles to prevent water entering the axles, Maybe you could tap into to the axle and pressurize it heh. cap of the vent and it will actually pressurize itself to a degree. until you start blowing oil out the seals. ARB lockers will do that if the locker seal fails.
That's not a bad idea at all. Maybe with a regulator you could keep the axle(s) at the ideal pressure. But in my Tercel mud experience, it's the front wheel bearings that fill up with mud. I don't know what the seals were like on the car, maybe good seals will keep the mud out? We just threw on another pair of knuckles from a parts car.
Electric Snake

Post by Electric Snake »

I really dont think doing this 2 or 3 times a year is going to destroy my wheel bearings. I just rebuilt them with OEM seals and put in new bearings. If i did this every weekend for a couple hours i could see it causing a failiure, but like 5 times a year, i dont think it will have too great of an effect. we only get rain here on the central coast of CA like this for about 2 months a year, no rain for about 6 months and random little showers for the rest. As previously mentioned, im more concerned for my trans fuild and diff oil. Im changing those out this weekend with some valvoline synthetic. :)
xaserII

Post by xaserII »

lol you dumbshiot i cant believe you drove in that muck... of course your gonna get stuck lol. omg noobs!!!
love the pics man keep it up...
oh ya try 185\80\13s when you get new tires... i think there the biggest you can get without having to buy new rims...