strange vibration/shake

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Ol' Lass

strange vibration/shake

Post by Ol' Lass »

the vibration isnt too bad but is annoying and i am wandering if there is a bigger problem than the one that is presenting itself. it happens when i turn or accelerate, its kind of a jumping, i checked the cv boots and they apear to be fine. im new with cars and just bought my first tercel. thanks for any input.
1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1995 Subaru SVX LS-i
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

S.......V........X........ (droooooool) GIVE ME YOUR CAR! I swear, I'll revise those rear bearings! I'll redo the cooling system! I want that .029 drag coefficient.....

Check your carrier bearing for excess play. Do your RPM's spike while this is happening? If so, maybe clutch-related? Bearing problems? Out of round or out of balance tires? Hows your alignment? Hows that carb running? Is it stuck in 4wd? Check that, as if it is, your car will toast itself.
THESE AREN'T SUBARU's MY FRIEND. They ARE NOT AWD, they are 4WD. That means that there is no center differential, and just like a truck, you never want to use 4WD mode on high-cohesion situations, like on dry pavement. This will cause SEVERE stress on componants.

If none of the above..... ?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Sounds like the CV joints...meaning the outer one's that take on an angle when the wheels are turned.

Might try to canvas as to which brand of axle to buy...seems some brands are better.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Ol' Lass

Post by Ol' Lass »

Check your carrier bearing for excess play. Do your RPM's spike while this is happening? If so, maybe clutch-related? Bearing problems? Out of round or out of balance tires? Hows your alignment? Hows that carb running? Is it stuck in 4wd? Check that, as if it is, your car will toast itself
no rpm spike, it may be clutch related (i am having tranny problems, bent fork and wont go into 1st), i havent checked the bearings and balance may be the problem aswell. carb seems to be fine although i dont know much about them (there is alot of oil inside the filter area, is that normal? i do know that there is supposed to be some oil from the filter tho), and i know that its not stuck in 4wd, and that its not subaru awd. i have tested the 4wd and it kicks ass in this car. maybe you would like to meet up (im in fort collins too) and check over it someday over some beers and you can teach me more about these sweet cars!
1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1995 Subaru SVX LS-i
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i got excesive vibrations when my chasis cracked nothing a little mig action and reinforcement wouldnnt cure
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Hahaha... Beer... Not for another 3.5 years I'm afraid. What do your Saturdays look like typically?

Oil can be normal, just where/how thick is the real question.

Alright, I just know 4wd can cause hopping and groaning on dry pavement.

Won't go into 1st? That sucks. If you read much into it, you'll see many of us are of the opinion that the trannies are the weak link in these cars. We've toyed with the thoughts of some alternatives, including a Subie setup, as they have the longitudinal setup.

You should check for cracked chassis and such. I've never seen it in a uni-body, but check it out.

Anyone know how to test a CV if the boot is in tact?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Soutthpaw
Top Notch Member

Post by Soutthpaw »

It sounds like classic half shaft and CV joint problems. how do you know they are ok? you can't do it while they are still on the vehicle... you can get lifetime warrantee ones for aronud $60 each.
1989 Toyota Van LE 4x4
1987 Toyota Parts Van 4x4
1981/2000 International S1724/4700 CrewCab T444e
1974 Wellcraft Airsolt (Boat)
ASE Master Auto Tech.