My dearly departed Tercel

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
MR2Di4
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD Wagon

My dearly departed Tercel

Post by MR2Di4 »

Here is my '86 Tercel that my granddad bought new and after he died bcame a "kid car" for my family. I drove it back and forth to high school as well as many places it never should have gone. It's 4WD became the stuff of legend, conquering unclimbable hills and amazing even my hardcore off-roading friends. Equally impressive was it's hauling capacity of people, beverages, and the occasional girlfriend to remote locations.
While my MR2 was in a state of extended repair I "borrowed" the Rota Antares wheels I'd bought for it and treated the Tercel to some new shoes.
They looked good but I found that they didn't go as well in the snow as the knobby Goodyear's it usually wore in the winter.

Soon my brother and sister took their turns using and abusing it until many years later I bought it back from my parents for my wife to drive. It ultimately succumbed to rusted out strut supports to where it was unsafe to drive. Even I wouldn't drive it (that says something) and I couldn't afford to fix it so after my dad hounded me enough I drove it away to be crushed and literally kissed it goodbye.

I wanna 'nuther one... *sniff*
'85 4WD SR5 S/W (Winter Daily Driver)
'88 Toy Truck (Summer Daily Driver)
'86 4WD AT S/W (First T4WD, long gone...)
'88 MR2 N/A (Namesake College Car, also long gone...)
'70 AMX (Family Heirloom, will never be gone...)
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Thanks for the pics and story! These cars are just amazing. I grew up in one as a kid, and bought a second one just three years or so ago now again. It's such a well designed practical little 4wd, it's hard to find anything better.

Do you still have your MR2? I just bought one a few months ago. I don't think I've every driven another car that has put such a grin on my face!

Toyota rocks!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
MR2Di4
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by MR2Di4 »

Sadly, the MR2 actually left me before the Tercel. I actually bought the Tercel back from my parents I few years after I got married.

I had the MR2 from 1996 to 2002, it was a nice black '88. It was my high-school grad present that I paid half for and it transported me around Seattle-Everett area while in college. Even after it was stolen and recovered missing a lot of parts, I still loved it. More than a couple of fender benders, the brown cancer and wear really started to take it's toll when I brought it back to Alaska. I wasn't able to hang onto it because I needed money to attend training out-of-town and it wasn't getting driven or maintained like it needed to be.

Pre Theft:
(Note wheels!)

Post Theft:
(After some new wheels, interior pieces and other body parts were replaced)
'85 4WD SR5 S/W (Winter Daily Driver)
'88 Toy Truck (Summer Daily Driver)
'86 4WD AT S/W (First T4WD, long gone...)
'88 MR2 N/A (Namesake College Car, also long gone...)
'70 AMX (Family Heirloom, will never be gone...)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I'm jealous. My grad present will likely be a kiss and a boot out the door. Lol.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

You're MR2 looked great!! Very nice! It's almost identical to mine; same color, but mines an 87 and doesn't have the aero kit option. You must miss it a lot!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS