eBay Tercel SR5

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

eBay Tercel SR5

Post by MootsMan »

Has anyone posted this yet ?? If they did, I missed it. Is this one of our guy's car ?? Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-T ... dZViewItem
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This one got by my eBay alert, as it is listed simply as a "Tercel".
It looks pretty nice. There does not seem to be rust on it, at least from the photos, so I presume it must be from somewhere in the Southland?
The seller is in the STL area, so I sent a reply advising of my ownership of an '86 and asking to see the car. If the seller replies, I will post further info on the car as he advises, and hopefully I can get by and take a look at it.
I will also ask him to tell the new owner of the club (if it is not one of us).
Tom M.
EDIT 031006 :
I spoke with the seller and hope to see it on Saturday. He's owned it for 2 years, and it is from California. The axles are from Advance, installed last year. He is an environmental investigative engineer. He is selling it because he bought an Audi A4 (?) 4WD. He did not use this offroad. I will post more info tomorrow, and he may put on some more pix to show the lack of rust. It's at $1200 aas of this moment (noon-ish).
He did say that he is surprised over the number of responses and emails he's received - he did not realize that it has become a "cult car" - so I guess we are all Cult Members now - I guess it's OK as long as we are not like the old lady down the block with 47 cats...
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Just want to make a comment... this is supposed to be a California car? It has the HAC system. I believe California cars have the AS valve mounted on the air cleaner but this one doesn't. Might have been brought into California???

On the other hand, it looks very good. I wish I had the $$$ to get myself a Tercel with a nice body and interior.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

What sharp eyes you have - didn't Grandmaw say something like that to the Wolf?
I noticed that in the photo as well - and that the HAI vac tube is missing.
The underhood sticker and the tube to the air cleaner should be the giveaway.
I made a note to check these and other items on Saturday.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

ARCHINSTL wrote:so I guess we are all Cult Members now - I guess it's OK as long as we are not like the old lady down the block with 47 cats...
Only 6 so far. :)
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

ARCHINSTL wrote:What sharp eyes you have - didn't Grandmaw say something like that to the Wolf?
I noticed that in the photo as well - and that the HAI vac tube is missing.
The underhood sticker and the tube to the air cleaner should be the giveaway.
I made a note to check these and other items on Saturday.
Tom M.
Yeah, check that out. Let us know... maybe you might end up buying this car if you like it?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

Only 6 so far.

Lucky.....we're at 9 (cats).....give us time, not that old yet
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well, guys - I hope "Goldie" is not listening...

I saw and drove this car yesterday - and believe me, if I had garage space (and the wherewithal, of course), I would buy this in a second; it is that good.
The body is virtually rust free - just a tiny bit at the bottom of a door corner. The underside has just spots of normal surface rust - hardly anything. This Federal car was originally sold in WA state, and made its way to somewhere in the SWST at some point - whence no rust. It's been in STL for 2 years.
The TVSV is intact, all hoses are hooked up and apparently functioning. The CVs make no noise, the clutch is great and the brakes feel just fine. I was unable to drive it on the highway, but it handles fine and steers well in a subdivision.
And the interior ! ! ! It is not virginal, of course, but everything is really clean, the rugs are intact, the headliner is clean, and it has the original floor mats. The radio is the OE with the deck, and it works! The little light covers in the back are all there; the cover over the central brake light is cracked, though.
The body looks dent-free; maybe some parking lot dings, but that is it. The bumpers are intact and unmarked. All glass is intact, save the windshield, as mentioned in the ad. There does not seem to be any signs of body repair. All windows roll down (and back up).
There is no rust in the engine bay - the engine is clean and not covered in oil.
The tires are maybe 60%+. It bounces a bit, so shocks and struts are probably in order - but the front still bounces much less than my car.
The seller is quite mechanical. He will be selling a very nice Merkur and an Accord fairly soon. He also has - but not for sale - an extremely nice RX-7, Gen 2; it was not beat by kid owners, as so many (most) have been. I mention these cars because it does seem that he knows what he is doing.
Honestly, if one of my daughters was interested in a -ahem - mature car, I would have no qualms about recommending for her - it is that nice.
I don't know if any of the bidders are members of the club - but this is truly an OK car. I think I'd even go to $2K - it is that nice.
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

Thanks for posting the info, Arch ! sounds like a nice car. I'm going to have to re-visit the auction !! Might think about selling my '85 instead of doing all the necessary repairs that I know are lurking in the near future.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Carguylen wrote:Only 6 so far.

Lucky.....we're at 9 (cats).....give us time, not that old yet
We had around 13 or 14 once. Wasn't too bad on a 100-acre farm.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Well -
This one went for $2075.01 !
Someone whose eBay handle is "21 acres". One of us?
Anyone from here bid on this?
I see my prediction of $2K was on the money - although I am surprised. However, I still think this car was worth it.
If nothing else, it should raise the value of all of our cars - 'cept maybe for caprice79's... But who knows - maybe even his.... :P
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain